AMD Launches 6 Core CPU-ready 890GX Mobo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]Yeah I was wondering why they would include graphics for this launch. Wouldn't this be targeted at enthusiasts -- the people who have higher end graphics cards[/citation]
I agree
Pretty cool, the last AMD rig I built was a Athlon 64 x2.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Yeh whatever at twice the price too! Get outta here Intel troll! No one cares about the X58. Im just fine with my x4 965 quad at 4ghz and 2x 5870s in crossfire,2x Velicraptors and 2560 x 1600 res and 8gb ram with my MSI 790Fx board.[/citation]

WOW!!! Do you sleep with your computer too? Guess i'm a little shocked however we didn't find out how fast the ram is either...

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]saint19[/nom]Well, now we must wait 'till the six-core of AMD and Intel to see who is the winner (90% sure that will be Intel)[/citation]

It's fairly obvious Intel will win. After all, the first gen of hexacores from the AMD stable will be 45nm as opposed to 32nm for Intel. That means they'll run into the heat barrier far later=>higher clock speeds become possible. Besides, I'm sorry to say this, but Nehalem is simply a more potent architecture than the AMD one. Which is sad, btw...

However, the Intel ones will have a 4-digit price tag, while the AMD ones will be more reasonable (I've heard roughly 300 dollars, but that's something I don't really believe).

As always in recent history, AMD will offer better value while Intel gets the performance crown.

[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]Yeah I was wondering why they would include graphics for this launch. Wouldn't this be targeted at enthusiasts -- the people who have higher end graphics cards[/citation]

the on die mem controller for p2's does not support this

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
AMD has pledged for backward compatibility with current AM2+/3 motherboard. Just go back and read the road maps. However, the new 800 chipset series will use the new AM3+ socket and the latest hyper-transport revision. So, we'll be getting six core love too. I'm not quite sure that motherboards with cpu power capabilities lower than 120W will be able to run these.

Status
Not open for further replies.