News AMD Launches EPYC 8004-Series 'Siena' CPUs: Up to 64 Zen 4c Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder how these CPUs score in cinebench r23 and 2024?
Well, here's data from CineBench R20. If you compare the two scores for the TR 3990X (4-channel memory) vs. the corresponding scores for the 3995WX (8-channel memory), you can see that it favors clockspeed over memory bandwidth.

124523.png

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1680...review-an-upgrade-over-regular-threadripper/3
Assuming those newer CB revs behave similarly, the main question is how well it'll fare with half the L3 cache per core. That will probably hurt a lot more than going from 12-channels to 6-chanels.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Well, here's data from CineBench R20. If you compare the two scores for the TR 3990X (4-channel memory) vs. the corresponding scores for the 3995WX (8-channel memory), you can see that it favors clockspeed over memory bandwidth.
124523.png
Assuming those newer CB revs behave similarly, the main question is how well it'll fare with half the L3 cache per core. That will probably hurt a lot more than going from 12-channels to 6-chanels.
what about data from cinebench r23? r20 doesn't tell me much in comparison to my CPU as I have only used r23 and 2024.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
what about data from cinebench r23? r20 doesn't tell me much in comparison to my CPU as I have only used r23 and 2024.
You're on your own, then. I was interested in revisiting what was known about how CineBench responded to a reduction in memory bandwidth @ 64 cores. I've done that. If I knew where such data existed for more recent CB versions, I'd have cited it. I wasn't about to go on a wild goose chase, because I really have no stake in the matter.

If you find data showing newer CB revisions are more bandwidth (or L3 cache) sensitive, feel free to share it.

Reactions: Order 66

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Can't you just run r20 on your current CPU for comparison?
The point of my looking up those benchmarks was to see how much CineBench was affected by memory bandwidth. ThreadRipper 3000 vs. ThreadRipper Pro 3000 differed in that Pro had 8-channel memory & slightly lower clock speed, while the non-Pro had 4-channel memory & slightly higher clock speed.

The idea was to gauge how CB might fare on a 64-core Zen4C CPU with only 6-channel memory. I don't really see what @jaydenmiller1 's CPU has to do with that question, unless it's some ThreadRipper or EPYC.

However, if that CPU model is popular, then I guess you could go ahead and look for R20 benchmarks of it. Not sure how useful either that or comparing your R23/R24 results with TR 3k would be. The main argument I see for searching out data on the newer benchmarks is if it affects multi-core scalability, but you still need to find essentially the same CPU tested with substantially different memory configurations.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
The point of my looking up those benchmarks was to see how much CineBench was affected by memory bandwidth. ThreadRipper 3000 vs. ThreadRipper Pro 3000 differed in that Pro had 8-channel memory & slightly lower clock speed, while the non-Pro had 4-channel memory & slightly higher clock speed.

The idea was to gauge how CB might fare on a 64-core Zen4C CPU with only 6-channel memory. I don't really see what @jaydenmiller1 's CPU has to do with that question, unless it's some ThreadRipper or EPYC.

However, if that CPU model is popular, then I guess you could go ahead and look for R20 benchmarks of it. Not sure how useful either that or comparing your R23/R24 results with TR 3k would be. The main argument I see for searching out data on the newer benchmarks is if it affects multi-core scalability, but you still need to find essentially the same CPU tested with substantially different memory configurations.
I will admit, I skimmed your original post and missed the part where the point was to see the difference in memory channels. My CPU is "only" a ryzen 7 7700x. No fancy TR or EPYC here.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will admit, I skimmed your original post and missed the part where the point was to see the difference in memory channels. My CPU is "only" a ryzen 7 7700x. No fancy TR or EPYC here.
The new CPUs are likely just a matter of curiosity, then? The article includes a price list, so you can see it's unlikely to be much of a cost savings vs. ThreadRipper, if any.

I don't even know if AMD will be very receptive to the idea of mainstreaming this platform. Intel has specialty edge/communication-oriented SKUs (allegedly what Siena is targeting) and they're effectively impossible to find on any kind of standard server or PC motherboard. So, if AMD plans to follow that playbook, then Siena could be a mere footnote for the mainstream computing industry.

If I had to guess, I think it'll end up being more like Xeon D, where you actually can use them for other things. Then again, I'm reminded of how scarce Ryzen Pro is, outside of specific OEM systems.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
The new CPUs are likely just a matter of curiosity, then?
Very much so, usually, when I see new expensive CPUs announced or released I will wait for reviews or articles or go searching for Cinebench benchmarks myself. I remember reading about an intel xeon that someone overclocked to 5.5GHz on all 56 cores and it used 1900W. Here is the article in question:

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user
Status
Not open for further replies.