AMD Launches Ryzen Mobile Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017
I was expecting 8 cores for notebooks from Ryzen... lets hope they release a 45watt 8 cores Ryzen mobile APU.

Lets hope that they include a better GPU as well for the GTX 950 mobile is VERY SLOW by today standards.

hannibal

Distinguished
Most likely faster versions have separate gpu not bigger impedded gpu...
But very good upgrade and addition to Ryzen family!
We just have to hope that manufacturers will bring these to different sized and different prise sector too.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

This has a fast processsor and a slow GPU (as far as gaming is concerned). Laptops based on this chip would be excellent candidates for one of those external GPU boxes.

The Bristol Ridge 'Cat' mobiles (and the Carizzo's, too) were quite frisky, great with power use, and relatively easy to mod with SSDs. Should be some great bargains popping-up in the next few weeks with AMD RyZen laptops coming to market.

AMD is on a roll -- hopefully OEMs will pump-out some quality builds ...

acosta.87

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017

Very unlikely considering they integrated hbm and need to adhere to a rather conservative TDP. Having 8 cores would require a robust cooling solution. A six core offering seems much more feasible but that's nowhere to be seen in the slides shown so far.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Where have you seen that Raven Ridge has integrated HBM?

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
These are APUs, i'm more interested in hearing from the mobile CPU side. If they can do this kind of apu thing in a so little power envelope, i'm hopeful for a good mobile all-cpu design from them

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
It does look like when using connected to an external 1080p Freesync display a bit more performance can be extracted though.

4c8t will be sufficient to be competitive. Laptop makers go for single channel mem with Intel also for battery life (like early atoms), but for AMD it was usually for power saving, lets hope non-ultras show what the new AMD tech has to offer.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

If you click through all the slides, AMD seems to have made a concerted effort to contradict your assertions. I found myself having pity for anyone who recently bought one.

I'd agree that someone not caring too much about performance or the longest battery life should be able to find some killer deals...

artk2219

Distinguished

The laptop below was $329.99 a week or two ago, it was for an older friend that does nothing but websurf and work on standard office documents, etc, basic needs. For their needs I honesty couldn't justify spending more since the next closest decent laptop was almost $200 more. We upgraded it to a 240GB SSD and threw the 1TB into an enclosure as a backup and storage drive, and for daily use for 90% of people, it would be a fine machine for years (we'll see about the longevity). Even if it doesn't last but 2 years or so, it was still only $329 so not the end of the world. Most people that are looking for a laptop aren't looking to do intense gaming, or very intensive work, and for that 90% those cat cores were just fine. My biggest gripe about them is that you couldn't easily find them in any laptop under 15", and that they were usually saddled with other ridiculous limitations that didn't exist with their Intel counterparts (crappy screen, single channel memory, no SSD's, chunky cheap cases, small low power batteries). I'd have loved to have bought one in a 14" laptop with dual channel memory and maybe dual graphics, but I haven't seen a decent AMD laptop built like that for years.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-15-6-laptop-amd-a12-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-platinum-gray/5828300.p?skuId=5828300

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It's true that most people don't need more than integrated graphics. I got a refurb skylake i3, a short while ago. It came with 240 GB M.2 SSD and I added a second DIMM, bringing itto 8 GB RAM. Even after that, it was about $460 and I basically couldn't be much happier with it. Paying much more either gets into fanless territory, with performance compromises, or into big, heavier, power-hungry gaming laptops. No thanks.

Not to mention a number of cheaper laptops have soldered RAM. Definitely watch out for these!

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, like DisplayPort 4.0 (DP 4), which has been baked into many GPU's for years, yet less than a dozen at unrealistic prices on the market, mostly used in healthcare environments. Why not have the standard in consumer models starting at $300?

When these specs actually means something, by that I mean we can use the full potential of these new 'standards' at consumer pricing, then the tech community has accomplished something. Otherwise, it's all bark & no bite.

This also means that for now & until PCIe5 is actually on the market, to include MB's & PCIe GPU's & SSD's, may as well sit PCIe4 out. No need to build a $2,000 PC, only to see it slide back within a year or so. To keep up with the Joneses, going PCIe4 is only temporary.

Cat

albert 89

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I'm just loving the fact that AMD's mobile APU's are beating Intel in many more areas. HBM could be an added bonus for the iGPU. Although I'd be fascinated to see if there were any advantages if used across the CPU & iGPU. I'm wondering whether AMD are still using HSA is this setup.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

HBM can unleash integrated graphics, which are mostly memory bottlenecked. Second, it's more power efficient - a big win for laptops. Third, it's more compact, requiring fewer pins on the CPU package, fewer motherboard traces, and no DIMM sockets.

To me, the only question is when - not if - we'll see APUs with HBM2. I hope 2018 will be the year.

I think Vega's HBCC is designed to strengthen their ability to support things like HSA. Now, it would be interesting if any apps would actually be using that standard, but I'm not aware of any other major chip or SoC makers that have compliant solutions.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
These look like great performance and I really think they'll end up being far more affordable as well which is important. Good laptops are normally as expensive arm and leg for similar performance. I gotta say AMD really gets it right here with the GPU performance that's usually most anemic and what users want most. These should be great even as little portable stream setups from a main PC build as well.

acosta.87

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017

There were rumors but now that Intel has confirmed they're working with AMD on a custom gpu design with HBM2 onboard I think it's only logical to expect AMD to do the same rather than stay at a disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.