News AMD Lays Claim to the FPS/$ Battle Against Nvidia

Well, I'd be desperate to sell everything that's been piling up in shelves before the next gen release, haha.

But they're not that off the mark though. Credit given where it's due, I guess. They do have a good GPU uArch with RDNA2 and we know nVidia just had to push the power to the limit to have a substantial difference to AMD. Unfortunately for AMD, outside of the 300W+ category, most people won't buy stupid expensive cards and there's where nVidia is most competitive in all those metrics. As I've said, I still think the best GPU of this gen was the 3060ti, where everywhere else is AMD (kind of) in my view.

They've delivered on their promises as well, which is nice to see: FSR 1.0 and 2.0 being the biggest deliveries.

I'm looking forward to RNDA3 and Ada Lovelace's fight.

Regards.

Reactions: artk2219 and gg83

KyaraM

Admirable
These bs "I'm the best!" "No, I am!" sandbox quarrels are frankly getting tiresome... do we really need reports on every single claim they make? What do they even try to achieve, and I'm talking about everyone here not just AMD, by making them? Getting more customers? Well, tough luck, for me at least it's turning me off even considering them and every sensible person should be, too. Seriously...

Last edited:

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
Yeah, but for that "extra ~6%" perf gain (6900xt vs 6800xt) for an extra cool 350 bucks, minimum, though, AMD looks kind of stupid for poking-the-bear here.

We all know that the 6800xt MSRP should've been ~499 up to 579, at launch, and the 6900xt should've been ~599 up to 729-ish at launch as well, not these INTENTIONALLY inflated prices.

All AMD did here likely was they had looked at NVIDIA's Ampere prices, FIRST, and said: "Hey, we weren't going to price our GPUs this high but since NVIDIA overpriced its 3090 so ridiculous high, we have a window of opportunity here and we could still look like we are the better bargain compared to NVIDIA 🤑"

AMD needs to be concerned about how are they going to gain more market share, WITH TALENT, for its RDNA3 architecture, and beyond, in advancement in RT over rasterization, AI/ML, etc. rather than these silly playground tactics taunting.

Last edited:
AMD needs to be concerned about how to gain more market share, WITH TALENT, for its RDNA3 architecture, and beyond, in advancement in RT over rasterization, AI/ML, etc. rather than these silly playground tactics taunting.

looking what AMD did for this whole generation i don't think AMD really care about gaining significant market share when it comes to GPU. not selling as many is fine as long as the profit margin are big. no need to engage nvidia heavily on price war where it can impact company's revenue.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
These bs "I'm the best!" "No, I am!" sandbox quarrels are frankly getting tiresome... do we really need reports on every single claim they make? What do they even try to achieve, and I'm talking about everyone here not just AMD, by making them? Getting more customers? Well, tough luck, for me at least it's turning me off even considering them and every sensible person should be, too. Seriously...

AMD just needed to get one last title in before Intel steals the crown from both AMD and Nvidia. /sarcasm

Reactions: artk2219

KyaraM

Admirable
AMD just needed to get one last title in before Intel steals the crown from both AMD and Nvidia. /sarcasm
I don't really care how Intel's cards measure up against either. They are first gen products anyways, anyone who expects great performance off the bat is delusional. The second or third gens are the interesting ones, this right now is simply a tech demo releaed to the general public and nothing more. But I don't care about playground behavior, either. And that's what this here is about.

Edited for error correction.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD has almost always had better performance per dollar. This is nothing new. So it makes little sense for AMD to put this out there with so many peculiarities and questionable accuracy. Frank Azor is a clown that AMD would be better without.

AMD has almost always had better performance per dollar. This is nothing new. So it makes little sense for AMD to put this out there with so many peculiarities and questionable accuracy. Frank Azor is a clown that AMD would be better without.
Everyone that follows tech news and reviews. The general populate (hence why it was spewed in Twatter) does not have this insight, even if from the Corporations themselves. That being said, I wonder if the AMD/Radeon Twitters have re-twitted and such. Well, the point is, like it or not, some people just follows mouth-to-mouth recommendations and nVidia has the bigger mind-share.

Regards.

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
Yeah, but for that "extra ~6%" perf gain (6900xt vs 6800xt) for an extra cool 350 bucks, minimum, though, AMD looks kind of stupid for poking-the-bear here.

We all know that the 6800xt MSRP should've been ~499 up to 579, at launch, and the 6900xt should've been ~599 up to 729-ish at launch as well, not these INTENTIONALLY inflated prices.

All AMD did here likely was they had looked at NVIDIA's Ampere prices, FIRST, and said: "Hey, we weren't going to price our GPUs this high but since NVIDIA overpriced its 3090 so ridiculous high, we have a window of opportunity here and we could still look like we are the better bargain compared to NVIDIA 🤑"

AMD needs to be concerned about how are they going to gain more market share, WITH TALENT, for its RDNA3 architecture, and beyond, in advancement in RT over rasterization, AI/ML, etc. rather than these silly playground tactics taunting.
What you don't understand is that the price structure is based on yields and how difficult it is to make a given product. The Radeon 6800, 6800XT, and 6900XT are all made from the same fab process and design, with the only difference being how many GOOD CUs there are. At launch, the 6900XT may have only been 10 percent from any wafer, so, 6800XT and 6800 are made from those that don't have enough working CUs to qualify to be a 6900XT.

Now, there is an additional problem, what is the cost difference when it comes to cooling and VRMs? Same PCB, but bigger cooler and more VRMs shouldn't cost that much more, until you deal with transportation and if they charge based on size/weight, where larger card will cost more money for transportation.

That $1000 MSRP for the 6900XT as a complete video card also came before the Trump tariffs and the spike in oil/transportation prices that made it MUCH more expensive to get goods from China to the USA. Even with the GPUs being made in Taiwan, the actual video cards are being mass produced in China, so is subject to any expenses. If Intel ever starts to sell discrete video cards, it will also have the same problem, because no matter where the chips are made, the video cards will be made and will ship from China.

looking what AMD did for this whole generation i don't think AMD really care about gaining significant market share when it comes to GPU. not selling as many is fine as long as the profit margin are big. no need to engage nvidia heavily on price war where it can impact company's revenue.

I think AMD misfired on two accounts:

1. Their super high end cards which should be targeted at 4K lost out to NVIDIA. You don't buy a 6800 and 6900 for 1440p. Now it's closer to a tie based on pricing

2. Ray Tracing just is AWFUL on a the 6000 series. If you played RT at all, then minor price bump was well worth the price.

Reactions: artk2219 and KyaraM

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've had AMD GPUs in the past and like them. They're good for gaming. AMD does tend to offer a better price to performance ratio. Definitely appreciate the increased VRAM too. However, I do so much Blender 3D art now that the performance provided by Nvidia's Optix makes AMD's offerings -- including HIP -- irrelevant. AMD needs to bring the performance in Blender to get me to buy. They are very far behind Nvidia right now.

I also have the perception that AMD's GPUs are far harder to acquire and more expensive than Nvidia as a result of the supply chain failures and crypto craze that distorted the GPU market. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Got to assume that AMD's latest marketing push is all about propping up prices for GPUs. AMD and Nvidia were riding high on crypto revenues and scalping. Gotta trick those gamers into filling the void at the highest prices possible.

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
Nvidia's gone back to TSMC... won't these be just as hard to acquire?

That's the $illu$ion$ here, but reality will smack all chip manufacturers hard this Autumn refreshes.

These so-called industry's influencers (and their fanboys/shills) are going to ASSUME that they can jack-up prices with their next-gen GPUs, etc. as they've done with this current-gen architecture, but today's global market/economy (that stands today, one centimeter from a recession) will destroy all their hope of that (PC/components sales for the 1Q22 reported the worst decline in years and that is just the beginning) by their own greedy deeds from this current-gen shenanigans.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS