AMD: Let's Revamp Laptop Battery Metrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I am glad someone is taking the initiative. But, IMHO, this sounds exactly like MPG rating with the EPA: You need an authority/standard, but you need the test to be meaningful.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This sounds like AMD trying to push there one advantage… lower power consumption.

I do think it would be cool when you buy a laptop regardless of processor/VGA card you get a small breakdown included.
Watch DVD – 4 hrs.
3D Gaming – 1.5hrs
Emailing – 6 hrs
Surfing the net – 5 hrs.

Whatever the statistics may be, just have it the same for all developers.

At the end of the day, this is just a marketing ploy for AMD. “Buy AMD, for longer battery life!”

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
While I agree that some times you need an external source to enforce a standard (a top-down system), other times a consortium or industry consensus standard (a bottom-up system) also works.

What metric would I like to see as measuring battery life for a device? Ideally, I'd like to see a "full feature at full load"/"expected use" time measure. This means the laptops all features are run in simulation full bore - wi-fi where signal is weak, bluetooth on, CPU under full load at maximum performance, graphics pushed, ram under heavy usage, screen at full brightness, HDD read/writes near constant, and so forth. This would produce an extreme measure of minimum life. Typical use would have to have it defined (example: single web browser window only in power saving mode with standard settings [wi-fi on, bluetooth off, minimal disk usage, cpu in underclocked mode, screen at 40% brightness]) so people can see what behavior the company expects out of users.

Also, I might like to see the standard be table based, with listings for 10, 100, 250, and 500 recharges or even a continuous graph with margin of error listed.

Do I expect companies to do this? No. I expect them to come up with a less intensive and less costly method. Also, my desired method takes a significant amount of time per device to develop and would not work for generic external battery manufacturers (who would have the burden of testing it with hundreds or thousands of compatible devices). After all, running a test 500 times with a battery even 30 times is costly and time consuming - and then there are external factors that can affect the results (temperature, humidity, variation on sample equipment, and so forth). Another factor not addressed is the "always plugged in system" or the "recharge after partial depletion" scenario.

Thus, I know what I'd like to see - but I doubt it is possible due to cost. Also, it would not be an end-all be all solution.

As to the notion that solutions should be made only at consortium meetings and not on blog posts, I find that to be disenfranchising. A blog post that solicits customer input will put the industry far more in touch with actual user desires for the metric. That system will be perceived as more inclusive, democratic, and transparent over an authoritarian top-down consortium approach.

In the least, I hope that AMD succeeds in getting enough manufacturers to support listing idle/expected work load times for batteries. After all, I want to know how long I can actively use my device and not sit there and say "ooh, look - an idling laptop!"

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
you know what? this is a good thing, even if it's a marketing ploy from AMD, at least it's truth... example below...

Some ATI or Nvidia cards might run synthetic benchies better than the other, but it's really the End User Experience that would have meaningful results, whether it be gaming, video editing, ETC...

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Even if it's a push by AMD to push and promote their hardware, it still is a superb idea. Not only knowing battery life, but we need better batteries. I hate being limited to a few hours on battery.

Devices need to last at minimum 12 hours, I realize that's hardly possible for a laptop on today's battery technology, but we need some serious leaps in battery technology. It's like battery makers don't even care... or perhaps they do care... about money. Low battery life equates to more battery sales.

I'm glad solar tech is getting cheaper, check out the backpack by Voltaic. They have one that can charge up most mobile devices, and they have a briefcase that can charge up a laptop.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
They should be drawing the battery time as battery life while the computer is running under full load. Granted it would show a less impressive number for marketing but you'd know that no matter what you do the very least amount of hours you'd get is X and power saving options would increase that.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This sounds like a great idea but as Jacob mentioned, it needs to be a standardized test and the test(s) need to be meaningful. Even better if the results are in a meaningful unit (like 6avg watt hours) instead of some useless number for a metric like a 3d mark score. A score of 35000 battery marks won't mean much.

G

That's good for that they improve the checking the battery status in a laptop but i don't think that it is a good idea. The most improvement that they do is to increase the life span of the battery itself and the time of hours should be used....

Status
Not open for further replies.