AMD Looking For New CEO as Dirk Meyer Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Oh my! Maybe the name of her EX-Wife is Sandy which made him running scared.

This could either be a good or bad start for AMD this 2011.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Well maybe it's a good choice to change a bad weather CEO who pulled AMD out of the dirt in times where AMD has a lot of opportunities for growth with it's new products comming up soon. Maybe another CEO will be able to make more of AMD's good position which might come (we don't have bulldozer benchis so who knows)

cp8427

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
I'm not liking this news. Methinks I'll have to pass on Bulldozer... I'm an AMD fan, but stuff like this kinda implies something must have gone wrong.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
This is great. They need to take the company in a new direction so they FIRE the CEO but in an agreement, he gets to silently walk away with millions.

I can promise this bulldozer(which pretty much is a figmant of peoples imagination) was not going to live up to the hype after our girl Sandy pretty much blew the doors off anything AMD could even think of producing.

AMD does nothing but get the scraps that Intel and others dont want and It shows and thats why The CEO was fired.

Dont be surprised if they can "Bulldozer" and focus on 28nm chips.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
The most important thing for Bulldozer wont be the desktop CPU's where sandybringe shines with its new video transcoding fixed function hardware.

It will be much more important for AMD if it can gain the crown in the Server market. Bulldozer is built for highly threaded performance. If it can compete in the server market AMD is going to do well

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
This is what happens when you consistently fail to grow the company and repeatedly post gigantic losses. Just two years ago they posted a quarterly loss of a whopping $300M. Q2 last year was a loss of $43M, and Q3 was a loss of $118M. They are hemorrhaging money, while their competitors post huge profits. To compare, Nvidia's last three quarters were all positive, $137M, $131M and $77M. Intel's numbers are positively obscene.

Why is it that people are so attached to AMD? It's got to be some kind of underdog thing, just wanting to see the little guy beat the big guy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but AMD is just a company. A company that's been playing second fiddle to Intel (and more recently, Nvidia) for a long time. Current AMD processors are a generation and a half behind current Intel processors, and I'd wager damn near anything that Intel will be launching even faster i7 chips long before Bulldozer ever sees the market. If Bulldozer isn't as good as Sandy (and I'm guessing it isn't based on the last couple matchups between Intel and AMD), then they're set up to lose even more money.

Sometimes you just have to face facts and admit that you've been beaten. AMD seems to have done just this and is doing what they can to try to turn things around. I wish them the best of luck, but I'm not too optimistic.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I love all the speculation from people that think they know what goes on at AMD. My sis works for them in an upper position and she said working there is weird because no one has their own office. Everyone is all in 1 room and she said it's hard to get work done. My guess the CEO resigned/got fired because of his leadership style not jiving with all of the employees.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]bsbsbsbs[/nom]"A CEO Search Committee has been formed to begin the search for a new CEO"[/citation]

I propose myself.

Obviously I have no clue what is implicated in taking over but that don't matter, I can just copy the best business model ever; Apple.

Roll out old tech in a sleek and nice looking package, of course overpriced to add a touch of "can't afford it so it must be good", make everything proprietary but let other companies make accessories for it, but no upgrades, no. You want more memory? Buy another complete one.

Rename AMD to MAD and obviously get the MAD tv people to make commercials seeing as it is so fitting.

There, nothing has even been invented or whatever and I'm sure you're already interested in checking out reviews and pricing for the brand new, 2011, MAD iPaid 32.5gb with 4G running "iP.O.S. 12"

Obviously this is not going against any copyright / patent laws, and even if it is, everyone that buys into my crap will believe I invented it anyways.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
[citation][nom]matto17secs[/nom]Hmmm, a new $1.5 billion partnership between Intel and Nvidia in one article, and the AMD CEO getting canned in the next article.[/citation]

That wasn't a partnership. Nvidia hates Intel with a passion and Huang has made them bitter enemies. When AMD switched leadership last time they did awesome so this is very welcoming news.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
[citation][nom]cp8427[/nom] I'm an AMD fan, but stuff like this kinda implies something must have gone wrong.[/citation]

Not it doesn't imply that at all. Changing your CEO can be the difference between slipping in old shoes or watching strong in new boots. They have a history of changing CEOs at the right time to kick some a**.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
”However, the Board believes we have the opportunity to create increased shareholder value over time. This will require the company to have significant growth, establish market leadership and generate superior financial returns. We believe a change in leadership at this time will accelerate the company’s ability to accomplish these objectives."

This paragraph says it all, and it's not really that elegant towards the the ex-CEO; they make no hiding ofthe fact that they think they are not where they should. THey say good things about him in the paragraph above this one, but then go on with these non-elegant considerations, which means they are not happy with the way things are going. Not a good sign...

Cheap conspiracy theory: Mr Meyer saw Bulldozer benchies and said "hey, we can't make Intel angry with this, let's just position it behind Sandy and Ivy so we get a cookie".

Well, whatever it was, I'm sure the heads know better. And if Meyer "liked" (I don't know if a CEO can "like/love" his company, lol) and understood he wasn't the man they needed, he just stepped down as CEO (with a few thousands/millions on his pockets, off course).

GL Mr. Meyer. And hope the new CEO brings us good times (i.e. cheap times XD).

Cheers!

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]This is great. They need to take the company in a new direction so they FIRE the CEO but in an agreement, he gets to silently walk away with millions. I can promise this bulldozer(which pretty much is a figmant of peoples imagination) was not going to live up to the hype after our girl Sandy pretty much blew the doors off anything AMD could even think of producing. AMD does nothing but get the scraps that Intel and others dont want and It shows and thats why The CEO was fired. Dont be surprised if they can "Bulldozer" and focus on 28nm chips.[/citation]

For the love of god where do you come up with this bullshit? Intel has not provided any significant performance improvement over previous generations. Sandy Bridge is 5% faster than skt 1156 Nahlem AT BEST and eats crow from the 1366 cpus. Just look at the benchmarks - an I mean REAL LIFE GAMES. My Core i7 950 @ 4ghz beats the sh** off core i7 2700 or whatever it's called and it's yesteryears tech. The Core i7 980 six core is STILL the fastest CPU to date!!

THEY HAVE NOT REALEASED ANYTHING NEW! THIS IS A MARKETING PLOT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY!

If you want a new intel sistem go for LGA 1366 or wait for the x78 platform ffs.

Until intel pulls their head out of their asses and launch the x78 platform with lga 1366 comparable performance, they have no miracle product to speak of.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]Intel has not provided any significant performance improvement over previous generations. Sandy Bridge is 5% faster than skt 1156 Nahlem AT BEST and eats crow from the 1366 cpus.[/citation]

Ticks do not usually have significantly improved performance, it's just a process shrink but same architecture. Still, it's much more than 5%, around 20% or so at least according to AnandTech. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=191
I'm comparing an i5-760 at $205 with i5-2500K at $225 and this doesn't even take into account the overclocking potential.
Same when you compare an i7-870 at $280 with i7-2600 at $300, that's a pretty good improvement across the board (except in games of course but that's GPU constrained)

Status
Not open for further replies.