AMD Loses Chief Engineer Michael Goddard to Samsung

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Loyalty. When you're making millions who cares about more money? Unless of course he wasn't happy with his job, but as a chief of anything it's sort of your job to create the corporate climate...

I think this says something about him.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Haha, the few decent minds left in America switching to Asian companies working on European chip designs :D Corporate America getting what it deserves.

Watch them next get more taste of what Apple fed to Samsung, as Samsung has its say in the courts against the other companies without biased pro-America judge on their side :D

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]^I had a Cyrix CPU-based rig that I'd built in the '90's. It was okay, but buggy as hell. Could have been that old Gigabyte mobo or that cheap computer-show RAM. You young folks don't know how much fun you missed...those were good days.[/citation]

Yeah? I once caught a fish as big as a car. Door. Handle. Button. Ok, so I used a net and it was from my friend's aquarium. My grandfather worked for Hitler using IBM counting machines. Not really. Who cars man? You mind doing your reminisce on your own time next time?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]Haha, the few decent minds left in America switching to Asian companies working on European chip designs Corporate America getting what it deserves.Watch them next get more taste of what Apple fed to Samsung, as Samsung has its say in the courts against the other companies without biased pro-America judge on their side[/citation]

Corporate Americans (the guys who owned big business) are getting wealthier. It's the everyday Joes that are getting fuxed.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Hey, I still have a rig (that I've not turned on in months) with an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE in it. If AMD is going the way of the DoDo I'd better give it some more love. It's a good rig...I've just got too many computers.[/citation]

You trying to brag about how wealthy you are or something? Seriously old man, I think you're becoming deranged. I mean, none of us care. Most of us own several PCs. This is an enthusiast website...

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Samsung should just buy AMD and start competing in the CPU & GPU market.[/citation]Amarican gov got some sort of hatred towards that company(see Samsung/apple case)

So it is extremely unlikely Samsung will get gov support for x86 transfer approval. American gov would rather see Intel monopoly than forcing Intel to give Samsung that license.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Reynod[/nom]The new CEO seems hellbent on trashing the company ... almost like someone is paying him to do it?I hope the SEC tracks his share portfolio accordingly.The old Server VP told me he was on a roll.This is what happens when an IP company (remember most of their Fab and related assets are now gone to GF) has a bean counter placed at the top during troubled times ... the board forgets that without constantly researching new IP the company is nothing ... headed down a hole.[/citation]Despite people thumbing you down, I hope that the new CEO isn't making AMD the next Hostess. The first sign would be any elimination of pensions or employee benefits

G

AMD should start making ARM based chips. AMD ARM chips would be significantly faster than the x86-32bit, single core, no integrated memory controller chips that Intel would be stuck making because AMD owns all those patents.

After all the ILLEGAL things Intel has done to hold AMD (and other companies) back, it's honestly the very least that Intel deserves.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]Why doesn't ARM just buy AMD & combine its technology WITH AMD's?[/citation]
ARM has no use for the x86 instruction set and low-power mobile/SoC processors do not need any of the power-hungry and logic/register-intensive single-threaded IPC optimizations common in mainstream x86 desktop CPUs either.

The reason ARM CPUs have relatively primitive architecture with few fancy tricks is not lack of know-how since many of those tricks are very well documented/researched and so old that many of their patents have expired years ago. It is because those simply do not fit in ARM's transistor and power budget for their core market.

If you look at the server/HPC market, CPU vendors are shifting from complex general-purpose CPUs optimized for single-threaded performance towards higher densities of "dumber" CPU cores and GPGPU/Phi to favor thread-level parallelism instead. In a well-threaded environment, you gain a lot more potential performance per Watt from investing transistors into execution units/threads/cores than investing them into 'tricks' to improve single-thread performance.

What CPU manufacturers can afford to put in their CPUs depends on how they choose to compromise between single-threaded performance, multi-threaded performance, power and transistor count.

For desktop CPUs, the most important factor is single-threaded performance. For servers/HPC, it usually is multi-threaded performance. For mobile/SoC, it usually is power and die size. Three different markets, three different and largely mutually exclusive priorities.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Corporate Americans (the guys who owned big business) are getting wealthier. It's the everyday Joes that are getting fuxed.[/citation]

Obviously. We all know that around here. This is isn't an Apple user site, and I'm a 99%er like you. It's why it's good that these companies are going down and being replaced by companies like Samsung from better countries.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Amarican gov got some sort of hatred towards that company(see Samsung/apple case)So it is extremely unlikely Samsung will get gov support for x86 transfer approval. American gov would rather see Intel monopoly than forcing Intel to give Samsung that license.[/citation]

I would agree with you but there is hope because the gov is now Democrat majority. You are talking about Republicans aka 1%er homophobes who think women should be raped and pay for birth control.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I'm sorry man, but in my nearly 7 years on Tom's I've never read more idiotic posts from any person.[/citation]Hey, there's been worse.. there really has. Certain apple fanboys tend to say the most ridiculous things for example. One of them claimed the iphone antenna was so advanced and innovative that the same rules did not apply to it as other antennas. It defied the natural laws of physics and had its very own set of laws.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This is probably a good thing for AMD. It will allow some of its younger engineers a chance to direct future development. Most likely this guy had a hand in the bad parts of Phenom and Bulldozer architectures. There has been disagreements between engineers and management at AMD in regards to development processes. For instance automating design for the Bulldozer architecture losing overrall effeciency.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]It's not 2004. Multi-threaded applications are becoming common.[/citation]
Yes, multi-threaded applications exist. But most of the truly well threaded ones (able to make meaningful and efficient use of all cores to ~100% simultaneously and continuously) are either not mainstream even by a long stretch or only occasional use (if even that) for most people.

The bulk of multi-threading in mainstream applications and games today has more to do with dispatching trivial tasks to background processes to reduce UI/control lag than computing requirements. Plenty of applications/games spawn 20-70 threads but hardly ever use more than a fraction of a single core's processing power since most of those threads are from libraries and automation frameworks. Not exactly the sort of threading that requires actual processing power.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It is actually Intel who should be worried.
If AMD is gone, companies will start looking for x86 alternatives much more eagerly.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]what amd should do is make an soc with great graphics and an ARM processor in it and it would make a killing.[/citation]They don't have as much expertise in the ultra low power graphics department as say, ARM, PowerVR (Imag Tech), or even Nvidia now. I would bet it would take them a while to catch up. Plus they don't have a lot of engineering resources to spare right now. Still, maybe after they get their ARM chips out the door for micro servers... might be nice to see what they could cook up. Go after the tablet market first, work down from there.[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Jim's back. He's butting heads with the top management that has driven the cpu business into the ground. This will slow down.[/citation]I hope you're right. Articles like this don't bother me nearly as much, knowing that Keller is back.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]what amd should do is make an soc with great graphics and an ARM processor in it and it would make a killing.[/citation]Nah, what they need to do is get a tablet SoC out-the-door and into tablets. They have the ability to make the best x86 tablet SoCs hands-down. If I could get a good Win8 tablet with an AMD SoC, I'd have no reason to care about ARM outside of my smartphone.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]It is actually Intel who should be worried.If AMD is gone, companies will start looking for x86 alternatives much more eagerly.[/citation]
Both AMD and Intel are already feeling the pressure from mainstream consumers flocking to smartphones and tablets since most of them already own fast-enough PCs or laptops to handle whatever it is that they cannot do on tablets... yet.

I give it about three years until mobile platforms gain enough CPU-power and RAM to become a serious threat to lower-midrange PCs. Beyond that point, whether or not to own a low-end PC will be mostly about whether or not apps for whatever you want to do are available on your preferred platform. High-end gamers and professionals will obviously continue using custom rigs and workstations since their titles aren't likely to become available on IOS/Android/BBX/WinRT any time soon.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Lets face it - AMD CPU's have been perpetually lagging Intel since Core 2 came out in ~2007 and they don't seem to be caching up. If the crowd (key senior executives) in there were not able to turn things around then its time for fresh blood. Corporations can become like cozy country clubs especially at senior levels and maybe someone is trying to stir things up. These 'key' people are not defecting to Intel (although non-complete agreements may have something to do with that) so Intel obviously doesn't feel that these people are likely to teach them anything.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]i think people are readingway too much into this. AMD is in the rebuildin mode process right now. AMD is making themselves a more leaner and more efficient company. They overexspanded beyond their means during the last decade and it has caught up to them and now they are trying to cut back and rebuild the company so it isn't hemorrhaging money anymore to try to make it a more efficient company in which will come out of the rebuilinding process a better cp company then ever before.[/citation] Your correct they over expanded their debt ceiling acquiring ATI to the point of having little to no money for R&D and having to sell off their fabrication assets and all that debt guess what it's certainly caught up to them.

AMD could have been a lot better off had they simply taken Nvidia's proposal that sadly they didn't which was dumb given the fact Nvidia and SLI helped AMD make real in roads against Intel when AMD actually was on top of it's game with A64.

G

hmmm what about a samsung brand processor going head to head against intel then amd remains on graphics card industry?

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Its not about Samsung its about Korea , Korea is doing excellent . They have surpassed the Japanese. From cars to electronics, Bad move on Samsung though , They grab an old fart that is not up with the times .This will not help them , just another old fart making tons of cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS