News AMD makes CPU and GPU comeback in latest Steam Hardware Survey - Red Team regains lost ground from Nvidia and Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... If there was a simple way of just checking if a PC is from a cybercafe or a shared computer by, I don't know, asking if it's a shared PC as part of the survey? Like add a simple tickbox that says "This PC is shared", or something like that to just know how to tie the IPs and group them accordingly.

I guess it's way too hard to do it.

Yes, yes... "but people can still ignore it, you dumdum!". If only one person doing the survey does indeed give the hint, there's easy ways to harvest the information gathered to de-dup it.

I say that, because using a unique hadware id is a tad riskier/complex due to privacy laws.

Regards.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Intel and Nvidia have an exquisite market everywhere with laptops, as they basically have a defacto majority.

I've been looking for either Windows or Linux laptops that are full AMD or have an option, and they're incredibly hard to find, only some premium brands have them, as moderately high end options.

I mention this because that's basically what most people buy to play as a single work/school/play machine that is also portable.

Dec 3, 2023
I don't understand this article or this chart. You're saying that Nvidia occupies the top 6 spots, and AMD the next 10 or so? And only Nvidia 30xx series cards even chart in the top 15 or whatever? This is really confusing and directly contradicts Steam's survey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memnarchon

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Man... If there was a simple way of just checking if a PC is from a cybercafe or a shared computer by, I don't know, asking if it's a shared PC as part of the survey? Like add a simple tickbox that says "This PC is shared", or something like that to just know how to tie the IPs and group them accordingly.

I guess it's way too hard to do it.

Yes, yes... "but people can still ignore it, you dumdum!". If only one person doing the survey does indeed give the hint, there's easy ways to harvest the information gathered to de-dup it.

I say that, because using a unique hadware id is a tad riskier/complex due to privacy laws.

Regards.
I think it is just Valve being lazy, as I can't imagine Steam installs not having a unique ID.
If I am right, then all that needs doing is for the survey to only count each install once regardless of how many users run the survey.

Status
Not open for further replies.