AMD Mantle: A Graphics API Tested In Depth

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Mantle mimiks the API's the Consoles use. I never heard of any of the manufacturers ever saying they were even remotely interested in Mantle when they had their own API being developed years prior to Mantle being a figment of our imagination (or in some cases worst nightmare ;) ). They're just bringing an API to the desktop to attempt to get the same type of performance that consoles receive. As lackluster as they are, given the consoles hardware specs and how they've performed all these years is a testament to how potentially beneficial an API can be in producing beautiful scenery.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

No, because everyone NOT using GCN cores will be at a disadvantage. Since only AMD will EVER make them, that puts 65% of discrete market on the ropes, and the largest portion of the market period (intel) out also. So anything a dev does to waste time on this robs from the rest of us getting a great experience (you know, one everyone has a fair shot at running, dx, opengl). Let me know when they get done with dx9/dx10 drivers for last gen cards (phase3 or whatever, though they seem to have just said screw them).

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Thanks for answering the question for Avocade :p.

IF mantle is released open source, Intel/Nvidia will be able to add their own architecture to Mantle. It'll take time for them to code mantle for their stuff, if they choose to do so, yet should see various theoretical benefits of offloading CPU load to the GPU. I'm not sure where you are thinking it'll be ONLY GCN *if* they follow through with their word of setting mantle open source after its released from Closed BETA. As one of the louder voices against Mantle seeing as its performance improvement only helps slightly, I'm surprised your claiming its now putting AMD's competitors at a disadvantage. Especially given any of AMD's competitors could've made their own API in order to gain an advantage.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
That's is a huge "IF". First mantle has to catch on, which i honestly don't see happening, a staple has already been made and I don't see Microsoft ever turning around and walking out of a market they dominate. Second of all even if AMD released the api source, I can't see Nvidia or Intel wanting to adopt it openly. It will never perform as well for Nvidia or Intel as it does for AMD still putting a split down the middle of the market.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
No, because everyone NOT using GCN cores will be at a disadvantage. Since only AMD will EVER make them, that puts 65% of discrete market on the ropes, and the largest portion of the market period (intel) out also. So anything a dev does to waste time on this robs from the rest of us getting a great experience (you know, one everyone has a fair shot at running, dx, opengl). Let me know when they get done with dx9/dx10 drivers for last gen cards (phase3 or whatever, though they seem to have just said screw them).

Thanks for answering the question for Avocade :p.

IF mantle is released open source, Intel/Nvidia will be able to add their own architecture to Mantle. It'll take time for them to code mantle for their stuff, if they choose to do so, yet should see various theoretical benefits of offloading CPU load to the GPU. I'm not sure where you are thinking it'll be ONLY GCN *if* they follow through with their word of setting mantle open source after its released from Closed BETA. As one of the louder voices against Mantle seeing as its performance improvement only helps slightly, I'm surprised your claiming its now putting AMD's competitors at a disadvantage. Especially given any of AMD's competitors could've made their own API in order to gain an advantage.

You're welcome :) It's easy for anyone to answer that one. It's not a perf advantage, it will be features only on their cards they'll be pushing. Again my problem with it is devs waste time supporting such a small audience instead of everyone. Yes NV could have made their own API, but what for? DX11 drivers from NV already topple Mantle perf, so devs are wasting their time and so is AMD (in AMD's case MONEY too, another $36mil loss this Quarter). Get back to REAL drivers AMD, for DX/OpenGL which stops devs from writing for yet another API and improves perf across MANY games via better drivers.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
This API thing needs to end. Both AMD and Nvidia need to put money into pushing for PC exclusives this will promote sales growths for PC and for components. Think about how many more games PC could have if hardware manufacturers such as Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and Asus started putting out money to developers to either open their exclusives to PC or create exclusives for PC. They want to beef up their sales you have to give people a reason to buy your products. I'm a PC gamer but I love the uncharted series I'd buy a ps4 just to play it which I think speaks volumes for the gaming community. They will dump money into the most enticing system with the games they want. Look at the PC digital sales growth this last year due to more games coming to pc.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
The public reading the current articles on Toms hardware and then votes down some of the most intelligent comments that are left in the comments section is becoming a serious threat to this website. How can it be that so many voted down the comment of the gentleman that spoke up for Opengl? Don't they know that if not for Opengl that there would be no DirectX, no advanced gaming would of been possible on mobile platforms (that most use Opengl ES to render the graphics on those devices) and that would be still designing on a draw board all of our gadgets and equipment???

Status
Not open for further replies.