AMD Mobile Ryzen APUs To Power Acer, HP, Lenovo Ultra-Thin Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
AMD has to do something to discourage these single channel set ups. Putting that much gpu behind a dual channel is pushing it as it is. OEM cheaping out on the RAM may kill these before they've had a chance to prove their worth. It's happened before to AMD APU. Maybe a small discount to help offset the price for OEM

neblogai

Distinguished

It is not too bad in a case of this Lenovo which is basically an ultra-portable. After all, the iGPU in 2700U/2500U is coupled with fast quadcore/8thread CPU, and will not have much juice left to run heavy continuous tasks like AAA games. Laptop model itself uses only one stick of soldered RAM, both for Intel and AMD models. Maybe AMD's iGPU is affected a bit more- but this is not a gaming machine anyway, and it was sure saving space to make 720S so small and light. As for the other models- sure it is good to see HP x360 using RAM in dual channel. It also comes with 65W power supply, which hopefully indicates higher APU TDP allowance and better cooling- after all- it is twice the weight of the Lenovo.

muzzin

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
I currently have a 7 year old HP Elitebook with 8GB of RAM. I was very excited to hear I'd have a real shot at an AMD APU in a decent laptop. Not.
8GB max? In a single slot design? What a waste of time. This is the polar opposite bookend to the desktop launch. My expectation for minimum RAM upgrade-ability is 2 slots/16GB for laptops and 4 slots/32GB for desktops. Frankly, that is setting my expectations as low as possible.

8GB= Fail, 1 slot=fail. Try again.

dbricher

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Too bad they didn't pick the 14" 720s. They could have used the board real estate gained from removing MX150, GDDR5 and power supply/sequencer to add a second channel of DDR4. This might allow for a higher a TPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.