[SOLVED] AMD motherboard for gaming/mining that can fit dual 3090?

Slapstick83

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
I want to build a gaming pc and do some mining when I’m not gaming. Ideally I want to fit two 3090’s in it for the extra hash rate , but I have a hard time finding a MB that will definitively support this setup.

Has anyone any tips for a solid AM4 MB that can support dual GPU? I won’t be using SLI or doing any other heavy workload except the mining ofc.

Solution
I want to build a gaming pc and do some mining when I’m not gaming. Ideally I want to fit two 3090’s in it for the extra hash rate , but I have a hard time finding a MB that will definitively support this setup.

Has anyone any tips for a solid AM4 MB that can support dual GPU? I won’t be using SLI or doing any other heavy workload except the mining ofc.
As I understand it mining doesn't require high-bandwidth PCIe. If not, then a lot of B550 boards would work in addition to X570. The 2nd gen 3 PCIe will be wired as x4 which if I'm right about bandwidth for mining won't matter. Gaming on the primary PCIe, wired to the GPU, will get full bandwidth.

Many (most?) X570's also have the 2nd wired as x4 but at least you'd get Gen 4...

As I understand it mining doesn't require high-bandwidth PCIe. If not, then a lot of B550 boards would work in addition to X570. The 2nd gen 3 PCIe will be wired as x4 which if I'm right about bandwidth for mining won't matter. Gaming on the primary PCIe, wired to the GPU, will get full bandwidth.

Many (most?) X570's also have the 2nd wired as x4 but at least you'd get Gen 4.

Look for location of the 2nd PCIe slot so you can fit triple-wide 3090's in both.

Might need space in the case for a triple-wide card to hang over the edge and not interfere with the PSU top, or obstruct airflow.

One thing to look for is whether second slot will 'shed' it's lanes if you also install a number of extra M.2 or SATA drives. So need to know if you plan on more than one NVME as that's an important consideration to what board works for you.

One good board that would fit the criteria is a B550 Tomahawk.

Last edited:
Solution