AMD Moves to Sea Islands, Volcanic Islands for GPU Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Unless it a single slot gpu that'll fit into my itx case, I'll stick with my 7750 kkthx.[/citation]

I've heard news of single-slot 7850s, so there could be some single slot 8850s if they do turn out to have similar power consumption, but there would almost definitely be some single slot 87xx cards.

G

My brother lives on said Island and it is infact called Öland not Oland fail AMD

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Code naming is the most thankless job. No one notices it until someone screws up and picks a name they shouldn't have (like MSFT's business with the 'Metro' name). It's even more important when you're a company that's trying to hide what you're doing, like game company's original IP names. However, I don't know how much it really matters for the GPU market since most people refer to them by their alpha-numeric sequence (GTX 680, Radeon HD 7800). But maybe I'm missing a part of the appreciation factor there.

G

Or maybe it's just toms hardware writers who don't know how to make an umlaut.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I hear they are going to finally bump up the ROPs on the 8970 to 48.

I know increasing the ROPs isn't some magical gateway to increased performance, but it's going to be interesting to see how this works out.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I've heard news of single-slot 7850s, so there could be some single slot 8850s if they do turn out to have similar power consumption, but there would almost definitely be some single slot 87xx cards.[/citation]
Yeah, checking them out earlier. made by afox (spinoff of foxconn) and not available in the US. runs hotter than ref 7850 but well within tolerable limits. makes for a pretty powerful gaming machine in an itx form factor

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
One of the core reasons that these code-names are used is so that the marketing department can delay a decision on the product name until the last possible moment. For example, what if when NV came out with their 680, it was only as powerful as the 7870? They wouldn't want to market it as their flagship, but rather as something more mainstream like the 660 or 670 perhaps. A code name gives them the flexibility to change the marketed product name long after the HW designers and driver SW developers have done most of their work.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I hope the volcanic island(=hot) name doesnt mean the chip is going to be not just insanely fast but "hot as well".[/citation]

I hope not. Maybe AMD intends to give the implication that they're going to erupt onto the scene or something, IDC. I suppose that we'll find out in a few years :/

4745454b

Titan
I've never understood why the code names. Why not just call it by the cards name? I could see the need if you weren't sure what the name will be. But AMD as of late seems to have found something that works so why bother naming it? Just call it the 8850 and 8870. Why Oland?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Common sense:

Unless AMD (or any company) decides to market their cards using the code names, they can use anything they want as internally. These names are not intended for the public marketplace. If the press decides to print "leaked" slides using these code names, that's not AMD's fault. The point is, copy-writing a word doesn't make it illegal to say that word out loud or write it down. It just makes it illegal to market something using that name. Besides most of these so-called trade marks and copy-write names were already lifted from common language anyway.

[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]I've never understood why the code names. Why not just call it by the cards name? I could see the need if you weren't sure what the name will be. But AMD as of late seems to have found something that works so why bother naming it? Just call it the 8850 and 8870. Why Oland?[/citation]

Even if the cards fall under the proper placement for their naming scheme, they still need a name for the GPU chips. Oland XT (8870) and Oland Pro (8850) are the proper names if I'm not mistaken. The same deal with how the GTX 660 Ti, GTX 670, GTX 680, and GTX 680M (maybe a few others that I'm missing) all use the GK104 GPU even if few of them have the full GPU configuration.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]the swede[/nom]My brother lives on said Island and it is infact called Öland not Oland fail AMD[/citation]

Where is the FAIL part?
US keyboards, unlike German Keyboards, do not have a key for the Umlaut (like ä, ö etc).
You'd have to look up the ALT combination.
Also, the average American would not know how to pronounce it properly.
Remember the #1 rule in product names; make it easy to pronounce as no customer wants to sound like a moron in the store asking for the product !

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Unless it a single slot gpu that'll fit into my itx case, I'll stick with my 7750 kkthx.[/citation][citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]Yeah, checking them out earlier. made by afox (spinoff of foxconn) and not available in the US. runs hotter than ref 7850 but well within tolerable limits. makes for a pretty powerful gaming machine in an itx form factor[/citation]Why the heck wouldn't you at least use an mATX case for gaming? I mean really, limiting yourself to a single-slot card is fine for something like an HTPC, but even a cardless system with a decent APU is enough for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.