AMD: Nvidia/MacBook Debacle May Hurt Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
" Any major customer (in terms of computer manufacturers), expressing concerns over AMD's offerings because Nvidia is having problems with a discrete GPU is a hard story to swallow. "

I think you're missing the point here. (I'm not suprised)

When Nvidia's products keep failing, ATI has to spend time and resources showing it's manufaturing partners that they've invested research into preventing this from happening in any of their products.

pcbuilder1010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Desperate PR spin from a desperate company…

Moody's warns that AMD is in danger of defaulting on its debt

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2217150/

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Just because of these debacles, I've withdrawn all NVIDIA cards as an upgrade option from all my desktops. They now are all ATi cards.

G

Come one... how asked AMD of any opinion on this. Are you guys from Tom's getting mony from AMD. Is a bad story no subject no sens... seems like a comercial.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Just because of these debacles, I've withdrawn all NVIDIA cards as an upgrade option from all my desktops. They now are all ATi cards.[/citation]LOL that makes PERFECT sense! "There are problems with an on-board mobile graphics processor, so I'm banning all desktop cards from the same company - even though everything about them is different". Way to further the hysteria. I applaud you for your illogical thinking.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Maybe if the MacBook Pro had some vents on the bottom of the device and the only fan didn't blow directly into the display there wouldn't be a cooling problem.

AMD has a concern and a valid one. Every time Nvidia screws up AMD has to take extra tie to reassure its customers that their mobile GPU's aren't piles of crap like Nvidia's are.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Mithos[/nom]Come one... how asked AMD of any opinion on this. Are you guys from Tom's getting mony from AMD. Is a bad story no subject no sens... seems like a comercial.[/citation]

I understand that you probably have ESL, but I had to vote you down because your comment hurt my brain to read.

G

Apples laptops have always had overheating issues due to poorly engineered heatsink & fan designs. The 13 macbook had this issue. And anyone who's had a macbook pro on for any length can tell you how hot that got. It's really poorly designed emphasizing cosmetic appearance.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Yup, Mac Book Pros run very hot. It also doesn't help that NVIDIA's chip outputs a lot of heat too. That's the price NVIDIA pays for cramming all those gates to get better performance.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
um...

I don't know how many of you own macbook pros. "I imagine" - what kind of response is that?!? I imagine the my macbook pro owns my gaming rig in crysis - doesn't mean its true.

my macbook pro runs cod4 at about 65-70 degrees celsius. Its hot but not a serious temp. Also who games with the laptop on their lap. The macbook pro uses the 9400M unless you fire up a GPU excessive program, unless of course you set your computer to always use the 9600 which is just stupid.

It most likely nvidia's fault. their 8600M series failed a year or so ago - probably still haven't learned their lesson in mobile computing

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]um...I don't know how many of you own macbook pros. "I imagine" - what kind of response is that?!? I imagine the my macbook pro owns my gaming rig in crysis - doesn't mean its true.my macbook pro runs cod4 at about 65-70 degrees celsius. Its hot but not a serious temp. Also who games with the laptop on their lap. The macbook pro uses the 9400M unless you fire up a GPU excessive program, unless of course you set your computer to always use the 9600 which is just stupid.It most likely nvidia's fault. their 8600M series failed a year or so ago - probably still haven't learned their lesson in mobile computing[/citation]

No, your MacBook Pro doesn't run Call of Duty 4 at those temps. I own a unibody MacBook Pro and it does not run at those temps especially not during a demanding game like Call of Duty 4.

This thing is sitting on glass desk, its 33 outside and I'm two feet from a window, doing nothing but surfing the internet with the fans at 2,000 RPM and this thing hovers around 55 C. If I put this on my lap and just surf the web the temperature will climb to the range you claim you get when maxing out the machine. Playing Mass Effect on here brings the temperatures in the range of 85 C and the fans kick up to 6,000 RPM.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Why didn't Apple choose AMD/ATI and gone with Nvidia, didn't they knew that last year Nvidia had the same problems, Nvidia is not reliable, it's like gambling if you buy one.

raden_muaz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]metalmania31[/nom]Apples laptops have always had overheating issues due to poorly engineered heatsink & fan designs. The 13 macbook had this issue. And anyone who's had a macbook pro on for any length can tell you how hot that got. It's really poorly designed emphasizing cosmetic appearance.[/citation]

LOL.
My dad's macbook has its cd drive jammed for some unknown reason. So does my dad's friend's. And also that unibody macbook. Have no idea how to fix it.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]raden_muaz[/nom]LOL.My dad's macbook has its cd drive jammed for some unknown reason. So does my dad's friend's. And also that unibody macbook. Have no idea how to fix it.[/citation]
Search out one of the very few Apple service centers, try and explain to the incompetant service technicians what's wrong, give them your 1800 dollar laptop along with another 3-400 dollars to fix it, wait 6-8 weeks, call to confirm that they're actually working on it, wait another 6-8 weeks, and walk in and demand that they do it now, at which point they'll pull it off their shelf and fix the entire problem in less than 15 mins.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, why the negs on my first post? It makes total sense, and also explains exactly why AMD is saying this falchard.

Then again, I guess I cant expect much from the average TH reader. *yawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.