Info AMD & NVIDIA preparing for MAJOR price cuts on current-gen Gaming GPUs in September ? *Prediction*

Hello guys,

Are we really going to see some MAJOR price cuts on current gen GPUs from both AMD and NVIDIA ? It actually appears to be the case due to "excess" inventory of GPUs right now, and the lower demand from gamers/miners as well.

According to MyDrivers who are quoting industry sources within Taiwan, and also a major Taiwanese Economic news outlet, it is stated that the current round of price cuts hasn't moved or cleared inventory in a way that AMD & NVIDIA plus their AIB partners hoped for. As such, a second round of price cuts is underway, one which will exceed the price drops we have seen so far on current-gen GPUs.

Following is the statement and quote from MyDrivers, via Machine Translation:

The sound of graphics card price cuts has been heard for a long time, but many users are not aware of it. According to the revelations of Taiwan Economic Daily, the main reason is that manufacturers are still discussing better preferential measures with dealers .

According to the latest news from Taiwan Economic Daily, the industry's destocking is not as good as expected. Graphics card manufacturers will start a new wave of price cuts from September, mainly NVIDIA and AMD products, and the price cuts will far exceed the previous efforts, which can be better to alleviate cost pressures.

These new price cuts are said to take place in September and will mainly be imposed by AIBs on their existing stock of chips. NVIDIA & AMD have asked their partners, both board partners, and retailers, to get rid of excess inventory of GPUs to make room for the next generation.

NVIDIA is already working on clearing away its stock with CEO, Jensen Huang, stating that they will be doing so over the next few quarters. It remains to be seen how much price drop the current gen GPUs will get, and will it even be GLOBALLY, and not just for any specific region like ASIA, or US etc. ?

But with next-gen GPUs on the horizon how many gamers will really be willing to purchase any current-gen gaming GPU, be it from AMD or NVIDIA ? I guess, it all boils down to the extent of price cut on existing inventory of gaming GPUs. But I digress.

Last edited:
Reactions: cAllen

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
I was...with EVGA's sale this weekend. $1199.99 for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming, 24G-P5-4985-KR. Only 2nd time it's ever been priced this low and beats the hack prices they've been charging lately.

Last edited:
I was with EVGA's sale this weekend. $1199.99 for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming, 24G-P5-4985-KR. Only 2nd time it's ever been priced this low and beats the hack prices they've been charging lately.

Yes, I read your thread/topic yesterday. It's good to know some AIBs are reducing prices on high-end flagship GPUs. I'm pretty sure the RTX 3090 Ti will eventually fall below USD 1K price markup as well.

$1199.99 for the EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming SKU sounds like a great deal though. I wish I could afford this flagship 3090 Ti GPU, lol. I'm still waiting for a price drop on some of the mainstream/mid-range GPUs as well.

Reactions: cAllen

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Alot of this will depend on the following:

1. the actual number of new last gen cards still in stock
  2. the amount of the price drops both before & after the nex gen cards are released
  3. ACTUAL availability of the new cards, meaning if it is a "pay for it now, but wait 4-6 months to get it" situation, alot of people will probably say screw it & get a previous gen card once the prices drop closer to or below a real msrp (not scalper's msrp but the one from the original launch)

TRENDING THREADS