AMD, Nvidia Release Fresh Drivers For Windows 10 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I decided to wait for my desktop for a bit. Running Crossfire, I will wait for the next driver release or 2 before changing to Windows 10...assuming I like Windows 10 on my laptop which I will be installing tonight.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Yeah, I was shocked at how easy the update went (from 8.1, with latest updates). Nothing broken at all from what I see, all old games work fine so far. Kudos to MS for this one.

I disabled onedrive and I had automatic updates on anyways.

To be honest I was pessimistic going into the upgrade as I really, really like Windows 7 but I have to admit, I do like a lot about Windows 10. The things I don't like are minor annoyances, I figure i will eventually find the place to set my homepage in Edge.

My laptop is from 2008 and it's running smooth after the upgrade, TBH I have never had a OS upgrade work right until now.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

If its ok for you its ok for you but seeing as MS roles out some updates that break system or bring in some nasty bugs that they fix a month or so people have the right to complain about auto-update that you can't turn off(other then Pro version).

To be honest I was pessimistic going into the upgrade as I really, really like Windows 7 but I have to admit, I do like a lot about Windows 10. The things I don't like are minor annoyances, I figure i will eventually find the place to set my homepage in Edge.
Could you describe what you liked there and those minor things you didn't?

I have never had a OS upgrade work right until now.
Many people all over the internet report numerous different problems with upgrade, you're one of the lucky ones.

I understand that an update can break things, guess I've only ever experienced that in a business setting.

I actually liked Windows Phone 8.1 so having that kind of interface on the start menu is nice. I hated Windows 8 because it looked like Hasbro ate my start menu and puked it up all over the screen. Having it condensed similar to the phone is nice.
As for things annoying me, the "start" menu is a bit messed up in some folders, it's like there are no sub-folders so when I go to say, Nero, there is a ton of icons for manuals and such that used to be tucked away in a sub folder. I still haven't found where to enter my homepage preference in Edge (however i use Firefox so this is extremely minor), and lastly, and this one is probably just me, but I find the term "apps" annoying. I preferred programs.
I'm still looking around in it, but so far it's a positive impression I have. I will have to see how it performs in games as the boot is slower and sometimes there is a delay when I right click on the desktop or an icon.

Last "upgrade" I did before 10 was from Vista to 7 on the laptop I'm currently testing 10 and it was a complete mess. Just about everything stopped working and it took a fresh Windows 7 install to clear it up. I plan to do a fresh Windows 10 install when I have a chance and find the download for it. But, previous upgrades on earlier machines for both business and personal have always been a disaster. I think MS did a much better job this time. I hope it goes as smoothly for the 100+ computers my clients have when they will ask for the installation.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I think I'll wait a year or two. Not a fan of the forced updates or onedrive.

Granted, I'm running Pro rather than Home , but cant you just disable the Windows Update service in Home to work around the forced updates?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
All the talk for nothing, how about u guys do something useful for REAL, say compare/benchmark the drivers in both champs?

for (6 months old driver in win8.1) vs (3 months old in win8.1) vs (the latest in win8.1) vs (the latest in win10)?

All the talk for nothing, how about u guys do something useful for REAL, say compare/benchmark the drivers in both champs?

for (6 months old driver in win8.1) vs (3 months old in win8.1) vs (the latest in win8.1) vs (the latest in win10)?

The problem with benchmarks is they take time. These drivers only just came out, so tests aren't done yet, assuming that they are doing any.

anurag83

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I have a HP Pavilion dv6226tx Notebook PC, and I am running windows 8.1 pro. I am unable to upgrade to windows 10 due to my NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7400 drivers are incompatible with the display settings of windows 10 - thats what the message says.
Can you help suggest a way around this ? or a place where I can upgrade drivers ? NVIDIA does not seem to have released an update for this series of drives to be compatible with windows 10, would it ? I am planning to wait and see if there is an update within the free install period till an year of release.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Unless you have a button to disable the 7400 (which I don't think it does) you just gotta wait or buy a new laptop. There isn't a "workaround", drivers have to be written and only that will fix it.

The article says Nvidia's current driver supports the 400 through 900 series. The 7400 card is three generations prior to the 400 (skipping the 300 cards that were just 200 rehashed), so it might not get any Windows 10 support at all. We are talking about a card that's almost ten years old and only DirectX 9.0C compatible. All of the cards listed as supporting the new drivers are DirectX 11.0 or higher.

royalcrown

Distinguished

I don't think so, reason being is you'd have to find a way to keep the OS from detecting the 7400 all the time when it boots, but hech try disabling it in device manager, what the heck. Then try to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.