AMD Opteron 165 System Thoughts

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm getting ready to build a nice gaming system to do some OCing.
I want the best bang for my buck but also a sweet system, I really don't have a budget but don't want to drop loads of cash.

It's looking pretty decent and I'm liking it, any suggestions????
Now just looking for the best ram (no OC) with the Opteron 165 (OCing), and anything else

Main Priority: Gaming & OCing, no SLI.
CPU: AMD Opteron 165

MOBO: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D

RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR400 2GB
Corsair ValueSelect 2GB
OCZ EL PC3200 2GB

VIDEOCARD: GeForce 7900GT
PSU: SeaSonic S12 500W
MONITOR: 19" Hyundai L90D+
CASE: ThermalTake Tsunami
HDD: WD/Seagate/Hitachi (already have WD 80GB)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm getting ready to build a nice gaming system to do some OCing.
I want the best bang for my buck but also a sweet system, I really don't have a budget but don't want to drop loads of cash.

It's looking pretty decent and I'm liking it, any suggestions????
Really just looking for the best ram and mobo for the Opteron 165, and anything else

Main Priority: Gaming & OCing, no SLI.
CPU: AMD Opteron 165

MOBO: DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity
Asus A8N-E
EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra

RAM: OCZ Platinum DDR400 2GB
Corsair ValueSelect 2GB

VIDEOCARD: GeForce 7900GT
PSU: SeaSonic S12 500W
MONITOR: 19" Hyundai L90D+
CASE: ThermalTake Tsunami
HDD: WD/Seagate/Hitachi (already have WD 80GB)

Someone that does not want to use SLI? Smart one!!

The Opteron 165 is a great CPU and it overclocks really well. Assuming you want to overclock it, go with the OCZ RAM. It will O/C much better than the Corsair Value RAM. Make sure you get 2 x 1GB and not just 1 2GB stick.

As for motherboard, all 3 are good choices, but I am partial to Asus. I have never had any problems with Asus products, they include eveything you would ever possibly need cable wise with their boards, and they are generally good quality. The A8N-E is agood deal at $95 (newegg).

Video card is a good choice, 7900s are sweet cards, and the GT will outperform (or come close) to the 7800GTX. PSU is fine as well.

Monitor looks like a great deal on Newegg. Don't have any experience with Hyundai, but it gets good reviews. As for hard drive, brand does not really matter, the only thing I would go for is an SATA 3.0gb/s drive with a 16MB cache. I perfer Seagate drives (mainly for the 5 year warranty) but WD is ok too.

foxz88

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
For the screen go check DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor at 423$. You might consider an ATI 1900XT for the video card...

suras

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Hi!
I just (1.5 weeks ago) put together a system based on a opty 165. Im using it for a variety of things among them playing games ...

I use 2x1 selectra CL2.5 ram. Sure, not top brand, but it easily copes with 230+ FSB just by bumbing to CL3 (when running @2.493 GHz). I know you can do this alot more serious, but i settled for this at the moment since it still is a decent OC... (39%)

My point is, stay away from (too) expensive memory if your on a budget.

I also got a Sapphire x800GTO2, again far from high end, but a really good value. And since i also use a 19" LCD@1280, it provides the power for almost any game.

Case and PSU; i bought the antec p150. it comes with a 430w PSU which is really silent. actually the whole system is (except maybe from the stock HSF but its not that bad).

alltogether, a really high performing and quiet PC (yes, I know im just a fart compared to you serious OC guys).
And considering the GPU, since the res. is limiting the need for a more radical GPU at this point, I went for a "cheap" card, which i can rip out and replace with a new one without bad feelings in 6 months or so if needed...

Good luck

Banusflakes

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
The Lanparty Ultra-D will give you more bios options for overclocking than the Ultra-Infinity and you don't have to pay for SLi. If OCing is a priority I would go that route.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Dont worry about ram if your motherboard has a ram divider. Overclocking the ram on an AMD system is stupid. As AMD excells due to low latency memory timings with the on chip memory controller. You OC the RAM and fatten up the timings hurting performance. Just get some good brand name PC3200 DDR RAM and your golden.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I'm partial to Asus. I have an Opty 165 running on an Asus board and I'm very happy with its stability when overclocked. Nothing against the others, but I actually have experience with the Asus.

As far as ram, if you are overclocking, go with the OCZ. The Corsair value ram will overclock, but likely the memory divider will be less than if you had the OCZ.

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Overclocking the ram on an AMD system is stupid. Just get some good brand name PC3200 DDR RAM and your golden.

YES! I didn't want to say anything about me not OCing my ram cause I thought I would get some flak. Yah there's no question about it, I'm not OCing the ram.

And I'm guessing all DFI have ram dividers??
dumb question, just want to be 100% sure.

The cheapest ram I can find right now is OCZ EL PC3200 2GB, so I'll just keep looking for quality company ram (corsair, ocz, crucial).

admiral25

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
my setup

dfi landparty ultra d
opty 165
ocz 2gig dual channel (2-3-2-5)
ocz 520watt psu
sapphire x1900xtx

after tweaking im stable @2.8ghz with 1.45volts, you need a dfi mobo to hit 2.8ghz with a 165 because of the 9x multiplyer. I like asus mobos but they cant handle over 300fsb, thats what you need to get to 2.8ghz with a opty 165.

oh yeah, I run my memory @ 208mhz (311htt/fsb) with a 2/3 divider, on any a64/opteron the memory controler is on the cpu, so you dont need to oc the memory.

3dmark05 12k
3dmark 06 6k

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
For the screen go check DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor at 423$. You might consider an ATI 1900XT for the video card...

Oh I've been looking at that monitor for sooooo long, it looks so good. But here it's going for $552, so I'm gonna stick with Hyundai for $345

suras

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
All premium boards have diveders, however the steps between the values differs. I use a A8N sli premium board. to match the increased FSB speed, the memory divider has to be lowered (you know this already). The step below 400 is 333 which is a slight overclock with my FSB.

so in the end, even if your not planning to OC the RAM, good ram with som headroom will make it easier to find a good FSB/ divider combination (and hence not having to Underclock your ram)

foxz88

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
You can buy it if you make some compromise. (price from NCIX)

Case: ANTEC SLK3000B -60$
Power supply: Antec Neo HE500 High Efficiency -55$
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard -30$

You are now missing 90$ (+tx and shipping...). What are you doing with the old parts? You could sell them on ebay and buy the screen!

Just my two cents... Even without the screen, your system will kick a...

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Yah but I'd rather spend more money on the mobo and case cause I love the Tsunami and I'm definitely get the DFI mobo b/c its the best for overclocking.

And the Hyundai has a fast response time at 8ms for both g-g & b-w-b and has 700:1 contrast ratio. And for the price it's the best IMO.