Amd or Intel cpu?

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
So lately the cpu market of AMD has been recently showing some good cpu's, which lead me to an inconclusion of picking the right cpu between the 2 biggest cpu manufacturer's, AMD and INTEL.

The question is simple:

What CPU do you recommend me for my following needs?

1.) The cpu doesn't have to be an budget cpu, but affordable. i'm not going for the absolute rocket pc build, but more an reasonable and satisfied build for myself.

2.) The pc is for gaming, but also for processing work. more in the way for processing self-made programs/ script but also for cpu intensive workloads, like unity and windows C# (also some java and python)

3.) The motherboard form factor will be an micro-atx size.

4.) I'm not planning to use the on-board. will using my GTX 1050 ti for now.

5.) And please don't go all to overreacting which cpu is better than the other. i believe that the one is better than the other, but that is not what i am asking. i am asking what cpu is consider needed for my satisfation?

Thanks in advance :D

PS: planning for an second pc build, as server workload primarly and streaming device ;)

Solution
The TLDR with AMD v intel atm; if you need absolute maximum gaming perf at 1080p and have a high budget; the 8600k and 8700k are good choices. But for everything else ryzen's much more compelling, particularly with games like BFV now using more than 6 CPU cores, other than the obvious workstation and multi-tasking uses.

Even 1st gen's can be super fast in gaming when given 3466cl14 capable RAM and a decent motherboard, how you distribute your budget is rather important for a well balanced system that's suitable for your needs.

Now that being said, you mention you use Unity3D, compile code and want a mATX board, which all points to a high need for a wide CPU at an efficient TDP, so the 2700 would be your best bet here. The 2700X is...

padrescout

Honorable
Oct 7, 2017

What is your budget?

gmmichaeljiang

Upstanding
Sep 14, 2018
Ryzen 7 2700x is definitely a good cpu for a workstation pc build. However, intel cpus are just better for gaming. If you do more work than gaming, then you will need the extra cores and threads the ryzen has to give. But if you are more on the gaming side, then intel will be the way to go. Intel i7 8700k, 7700k, or even i5 8600k will be fine as long as you OC the i5.

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017

would like an cpu around the €200. if it is a little bit higher like €5 beyond that, then no problem, but €50
and then no.

so again. the budget is €200 ($235)

padrescout

Honorable
Oct 7, 2017

I can't say 5 pound would make much of a differnce, so lets go with 200.

At that budget a Ryzen 2600 is a decent CPU and well under your budget including a cooler. So the money you can on CPU can towards a nicer motherboard or maybe RGB lighting or a game or something.

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017

So you mean: The AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU?

looks appealing :)

thanks for the advice, anyone else maybe have an good cpu i could consider?

also, what is the difference between an non x and an x version? has it to do with overclocking?

amd cpu novice here

gmmichaeljiang

Upstanding
Sep 14, 2018
ryzen cpu ending with x is an unlocked version of the CPU. This means that you can overclock the cpu to higher frequencies for better performance. However, I suggest getting the non-x version if you are not getting a decent cpu cooler. Ryzen 5 2600 is definitely a good choice.

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017

Didn't read this one xD

I am Indeed planning to use it more as an gaming pc and the second pc as mentions as workload pc.

So should i get an Intel cpu for this build and an AMD cpu for the second pc?

Paul17041993

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
The TLDR with AMD v intel atm; if you need absolute maximum gaming perf at 1080p and have a high budget; the 8600k and 8700k are good choices. But for everything else ryzen's much more compelling, particularly with games like BFV now using more than 6 CPU cores, other than the obvious workstation and multi-tasking uses.

Even 1st gen's can be super fast in gaming when given 3466cl14 capable RAM and a decent motherboard, how you distribute your budget is rather important for a well balanced system that's suitable for your needs.

Now that being said, you mention you use Unity3D, compile code and want a mATX board, which all points to a high need for a wide CPU at an efficient TDP, so the 2700 would be your best bet here. The 2700X is also an option, however you'll likely end up VRM-bound if compilation or builds take a long time, albeit this is pretty rare for ryzen. Intel on the other hand needs almost twice as much power per core, and you'll have a hard time picking a suitable mATX board that wont melt down...

Solution

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Grab an Intel 8600k for gaming PC and OC it, your GPU will be kept real busy because of it superior single core performance.

Ryzen is very good but its single thread performance will not match Intel's. I have a Ryzen 1600, it never goes beyond 50% CPU usage when playing games or during working but hits a lot of low frames. Not optimal for gaming.

Grab a Ryzen 2600 for a streaming PC. BTW Ryzen doesn't have iGPU so you need another GPU (besides 1050ti).

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
Okay thanks a lot guys. really appriciate the help.

Then i go for an Intel CPU I5 8600K for the first pc as the gaming pc. i only still need to look for an motherboard that support OC with the specific need.

And then on the second pc an AMD CPU Ryzen 5 2600 as the streaming pc / workstation (maybe a little bit server :D, just a small server for friends). also need to look for an motherboard, but the other case has space for an atx, so that is a positive.

again, thank you very much. learned a lot from you ;)