Question AMD or Intel for Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpgigov

Reputable
Sep 21, 2018
Hello Guys,

I hope you are all doing well.

Before I go to my question I just want to say that I have little to no experience with Linux.

So I'm building a new PC at the moment - waiting for hardware to arrive - and I would be running the following:
Intel I5-126000KF
MSI Z690-A Pro WIFI DDR5
AMD RX6800XT

I'm quite disappointed in the direction, which MS has taken Windows and from what I hear gaming and multimedia (running blu-ray movies on PC with a cable towards a TV) has improved quite a lot and honestly the only thing that is stopping me form moving to Linux is lack of support of World of Warcraft., which leads me to my question. While I was searching for info on possible way to run WoW with addons on Linux and reading upon Proton I saw mentions that if you want to have a good Linux gaming experience you need to be on an AMD system due to drives etc. So I understand this from GPU perspective and Vulkan, but does the CPU manufacturer play a significant role here as well.

I spent the extra cash on high end MOBO with DDR5 support with the plan to use this system with little no changes for years to come and now I'm concerned that I have made the wrong decision from OS stand point of view.

Any feedback would be appreciated on that topic in general, as I'm a Linux Noob :)

Kind regards,

Before I go to my question I just want to say that I have little to no experience with Linux.

I'm concerned that I have made the wrong decision from OS stand point of view.

I'm not quite following this.

You say you have ordered hardware.

You say you are unhappy with the direction of Windows.

You say you have little to no experience with Linux.

You say you have made "the wrong decision from OS stand point of view."

What OS decision is that?

On a re-reading.....

I'm guessing you are no longer wondering about OS choice. It's Linux for sure for you.

But you are worried about AMD versus Intel for Linux.

And you have "little or no" experience with Linux.

In your shoes.......the decision between AMD and Intel would be the very least of my concerns.

I'd be much much more concerned with the issues surrounding using Linux itself in a productive way....compared to what I assume you've become accustomed to doing on Windows.

If your use of a PC is 90 plus percent limited to the narrow focus of gaming, that may not be a major problem.

But if you are looking for Linux as a broad-based replacement for Windows "productivity", you will likely be in for major surprises. Of course, I have no idea if you have any interest in "productivity" beyond gaming and I have even less of an idea how little Linux experience you actually have.

And how do you hope to distinguish between legit complaints about these "drive etc" issues and rank AMD versus Intel fanboy yammering out of the sixth grade?

kpgigov

Reputable
Sep 21, 2018
On a re-reading.....

I'm guessing you are no longer wondering about OS choice. It's Linux for sure for you.

But you are worried about AMD versus Intel for Linux.

And you have "little or no" experience with Linux.

In your shoes.......the decision between AMD and Intel would be the very least of my concerns.

I'd be much much more concerned with the issues surrounding using Linux itself in a productive way....compared to what I assume you've become accustomed to doing on Windows.

If your use of a PC is 90 plus percent limited to the narrow focus of gaming, that may not be a major problem.

But if you are looking for Linux as a broad-based replacement for Windows "productivity", you will likely be in for major surprises. Of course, I have no idea if you have any interest in "productivity" beyond gaming and I have even less of an idea how little Linux experience you actually have.

And how do you hope to distinguish between legit complaints about these "drive etc" issues and rank AMD versus Intel fanboy yammering out of the sixth grade?

Yeah I was asking about Linux level of support on Intel vs AMD on the CPU front.

I use my PC primarily for gaming and watching movies as my TV is connected to my PC and except watching news on the TV all other content is coming from the PC.

I do not use professional SW on my PC, at most I might need to install VMware workstation or VirtualBox to test something that will make my company laptop sweat, but other than I care about Games, Movies and normal internet browsing experience.

On the subject of fan boys, yes there is quite a lot of noise, but as there is indeed significant level of difference between AMD and NVIDIA drives on Linux, I would not dismiss a concern on the CPU front.

Learning Linux could be a challenge, I do not doubt that, but from what I'm seeing in videos Pop_OS looks very user friendly.

if you wont run outdated linux kernel, then cpu performance will be fine on both intel or amd
as for gpu, nvidia opensourced their drivers recently, so you wont need to run amd gpu to have decent performance

Reactions: kpgigov
May 29, 2022
Linux is actually far superior for getting performance in gaming, which most people
don't realize.

Linux is like a car that you control, and work to customize or alter freely, whereas windows is like a self-driving car that wont let you get over 60 mph.

It just takes some time to figure out all the unique nuances coming from the windows
world where everything was point and click.

The only drawback is that not every single game has support on it, and you wont be able to push your graphics to their limits like on windows.

But, as far as performance, which has less to do with shiny graphics, and more to do with the user quickly interacting with the game world seamlessly,
linux is actually pretty amazing comparitavely.

Now is the perfect time to try gaming with linux especially because you have a ton of options for playing games you normally would on windows.

With steam proton, and lutris, gaming is at the most interesting place it has ever been.

So I'm not sure about all the details on WoW, but it looks like with a simple lutris download, you can go to this website and use one of the links to the
install script, which automatically does everything for you.

https://lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft/

Other than that there is figuring out how to install your graphics driver for your specific linux operating system, which is a quick internet search away.

Basically all of your questions you might have, are simply an internet search away, that's how the rest of us learned to use linux ; D

As far as the difference between amd/intel cpu, you wont really notice any unless you are trying to push games to their absolute limits and testing lots of very fine details. They basically perform slightly differently in reality, with the more expensive intel being slightly better at performing in certain scenarios...and amd was well known for being better at overclocking, which is basically pointless with newer hardware to begin with.

With the graphics card, Nvidia creates their own drivers specifically for using with linux nowadays, and I've never heard of amd doing something similar.

GL

Last edited:
Does Linux work well with the 12th Gen stuff? That kinda makes me wonder.

I know I had a bunch of issues with Linux and a GTX670, like the drivers the Xserver thing was just crap and since I didn't know much about Linux anyway, I didn't want to fight with it, I just wanted it to work and learn from there.

I threw in my HD5970 in that system and Mint worked great with like no fighting.

Idk if its the same now, but I do know Nvidia can be good with Linux, but I find my self always fighting a little more than I have to with any system that I've installed Linux on that had an Nvidia GPU, I know there is Pop OS, but I don't like Pop OS.

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
AMD or Intel?
I have only ever used intel. Three builds later ( since I started with Ver 16) and I have no complaints. the last one was a Gen 7.
I've also used ASUS mobos with no conflicts and they never told me that they were tested for linux.
Maybe there are people who've used AMD who can relate their experiences.

D

Deleted member 14196

Intel actually has the upper hand and more support for Linux. You should run just fine and 12th gen hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.