[SOLVED] AMD or Intel?

FotisKaragian

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
Hey guys. I want to upgrade my old i5 4690 and my old motherboard. I am between the Ryzen 7 3700x with a X470 motherboard orthe i7 9700κ with a Z390 motherboard. I have a GTX 1080 and a 1440p Asus monitor, which I will not be changing until 4k and ray tracing become a thing. Budgetwise, AMD is a little cheaper but it doesnt really concern me...

Which setup would you suggest?

Solution
I would say either go with Ryzen if you are in a hurry, or wait for 10th gen Intel to come out and go with that, if you have the budget for it. Definitely avoid the 9700K. The 10700K will have hyperthreading, so it will be 8 core 16 threads, while the 9700K is 8 cores 8 threads. In some newer AAA games that can be an issue. Keep in mind though that the 10700K will be more expensive of a platform, as the motherboard will be more expensive and you'll need a separate cooler for the chip, while the Ryzen chip can be run on cheaper boards and comes with a decent stock cooler.

Performance wise, there really isn't a noticeable difference in the two sides unless your monitor is over 144 Hz, and even then the GPU will become a limitation...
I would say either go with Ryzen if you are in a hurry, or wait for 10th gen Intel to come out and go with that, if you have the budget for it. Definitely avoid the 9700K. The 10700K will have hyperthreading, so it will be 8 core 16 threads, while the 9700K is 8 cores 8 threads. In some newer AAA games that can be an issue. Keep in mind though that the 10700K will be more expensive of a platform, as the motherboard will be more expensive and you'll need a separate cooler for the chip, while the Ryzen chip can be run on cheaper boards and comes with a decent stock cooler.

Performance wise, there really isn't a noticeable difference in the two sides unless your monitor is over 144 Hz, and even then the GPU will become a limitation before you push the CPU to its limits. So you really just need to see if Intel is worth the price premium to you or not.

Solution
At 1440p you are going to generally be gpu limited meaning both CPU’s will perform the same for gaming. I am assuming this is for gaming only? Even when running lower resolutions where gpu limits less the difference is negligible. However you should wait for the benchmarks of 10th gen Intel. I’m expecting the 9700k to be similar to the new i5’s which come at a lower price.

Ryzen all the way but with better mobo at least B550 or X570 if possible (PCI-E 4.0!!!)
Core i9 9900 and i7 9700 are still better (slightly) in games.. maybe 1-5%
But for everything else AMD..also if you have B550 and x570 you will have 100% compatibility with the new CPU's.
Also 10th gen Intel are extremely hot (literally OVEN baking Pie) in tests... so i personally wouldn't go that road... but maybe I'm wrong and they will be fine... only time will tell... (those 14nm LOL)...