yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Super Flower Leadex lll 650W
Samsung 860 EVO Plus 500GB
HyperX Predator 3200mhz 2x8

Briefly, I sold my Sapphire RX 5700 yesterday, after struggling and continuously troubleshooting the card over a year.

More in-depth, I mainly play older (DX9) games, which just did not work with the card's technology/drivers. GPU utilization would be 10-30% and it would be downclocking like hell, deteoriorating the fps, making the gaming experience not so good.

My question really is that does anyone have any "real-time" information regarding RX580/590 and older games? Especially OpenGL. Or were my problems mainly caused by the rather notoriously bad AMD drivers meaning that the issue with older games persists with many other AMD GPU:s too, not just with the 5700's?

Is the only choice to join team green and grab an RTX-card? Simply all I want is just smooth gameplay with older and newer titles.

Thanks alot in advance for any possible answers and insights.

Last edited:
Solution
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus

Briefly, I sold my Sapphire RX 5700 yesterday, after struggling and continuously troubleshooting the card over a year.

More in-depth, I mainly play older (DX9) games, which just did not work with the card's technology/drivers. GPU utilization would be 10-30% and it would be downclocking like hell, deteoriorating the fps, making the gaming experience not so good.

My question really is that does anyone have any "real-time" information regarding RX580/590 and older games? Especially OpenGL. Or were my problems mainly caused by the rather notoriously bad AMD drivers meaning that the issue with older games...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I suspect the video driver was not optimized for those older games. The same issue coild happen with Nvidia too. Moreover, those games may have been capped at 60 fps or less and the CPU did not demand much usage from the GPU to render that number of frames.
Can you give us an example of which games were using minimum GPU usage?

poorbugger

Distinguished
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus

My question really is that does anyone have any "real-time" information regarding RX580/590 and older games? Especially OpenGL. Or were my problems mainly caused by the rather notoriously bad AMD drivers meaning that the issue with older games persists with many other AMD GPU:s too, not just with the 5700's?

Is the only choice to join team green and grab an RTX-card? Simply all I want is just smooth gameplay with older and newer titles.

Thanks alot in advance for any possible answers and insights.
Hello, i have the rx 580 and gtx 980 ti. Recently switched to gtx 980 ti. From my experience, i didnt really experience any issues with the drivers with my rx 580. I used 20.5.1 and it's working well with all games. For the gtx 980 ti, it's working okayish i guess. I've been experiencing way more crashes on games than i did on my rx 580. I uninstalled everything amd related before installing this card so i'm pretty sure it's not due to me screwing up installation. I'm not sure if maxwell gpus are intended to crash the game when hitting the temp limits which was only 75C for me. If it were up to me, i would go with the rx 5600 xt for the price to performance just because i can get a high end sappire pulse rx 5600 xt for the price of a lower end zotac rtx 2060. Performance wise, they're equal but temperature wise, it's a different story.

Solution

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
I suspect the video driver was not optimized for those older games. The same issue coild happen with Nvidia too. Moreover, those games may have been capped at 60 fps or less and the CPU did not demand much usage from the GPU to render that number of frames.
Can you give us an example of which games were using minimum GPU usage?

Hey and thanks alot for your answer. I used a software that unlocks the fps and it was set around 144ish. With 60fps the game would be so choppy and horrible that u couldn't play more than a few seconds really.

The game is MW3 (DX9 OpenGL). To be honest it wasn't smooth sailing in any games, but benchmarks were great.....

The online forums are absolutely stacked with people having issues with their 5700/5700XT's, especially regarding the technology afking the card in low-demanding games.