AMD Overclocking Club

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
url=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261868-29-overclocking-club]AMD Overclocking Club[/url

add a "[" at the beginning and a "]" at the end

I'm not good enough with html to figure out how to get an alternating banner and i'm not sure if the forum sig would accept the code. You could always just put 2 banner links though, one above the other.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
you two are becoming a nuisance, start a thread and to be honest I'd stop listening to 'trugenius' and his ideas for overclocking your unit. :kaola:
I don't even think he knows your chip is C2 stepping and the voltage is slightly higher in the first place.

moving along.

king said this many times (like a little kid :lol: )

you two are becoming a nuisance, start a thread and to be honest I'd stop listening to 'trugenius' and his ideas for overclocking your unit.
I don't even think he knows your chip is C2 stepping and the voltage is slightly higher in the first place.

moving along.

my apologies for going off topic
though I thought if it concerned amd OCing it was okay :)
dropping the multi and raising the fsb is a decent idea to get a better OC on a non-BE so I tried it
now FINALLY setting and forgetting
and yes I do repeat myself
LOL

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi - got 2 questions,

I have a 1090t running at 3.8GHz (200x19). To do that I've had to bump the vcore to 1.42 volts, and I'm very wary or upping voltage! Is this an okay vcore to have at 3.8Ghz? Under this and LinX won't pass.

My second question is for proof of stability, do you need LinX on it's largest size? out of my 8GB ram I normally have LinX using 6.1. If I screenie this running after 2 hours will it count?

Many thanks.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
1) Depends on your temperatures. 1.42V is fine as long as you're not going much higher than 50°C. Basically you want to keep it below 1.5V AND 55°C

2)If you are using LinX, you have to set it to "All", which will be 5MB less than what you currently have free, but won't necessarily be close to all of your RAM. For me it ends up using about 3 of my 4GB because I'm already using about a gig after booting up. But like genius says you can just use Prime95 instead. Prime95 will not require as high of a VCore to pass.

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Board: MSI 870a-g54
PSU: Corsair TX850M

Also I'd like to use Linc as I can get the GFlop score in too :) I'll put it on all ram when I get back today, but it'll only use another 500mb, hopefully I won't have to up the vcore even more.

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Ok thanks, I shall keep playing around then, and also investigate this 4+1 phase design, never pUre much attention to that.

Currently at 1.44 volts and temps are good at 3.8. Hopefully i'll have a stable of soon :D

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Sorry for any of the typos above^ Was typing on my phone and the auto correct loves to work overtime.

Cpu: 1090T
Name: Rrruby
Stepping: Not sure - CPU-Z program shows 0, but the validator says otherwise!
Frequency: 3800
ref*multi: 200*19
CPU voltage: 1.44
CPU-NB: Auto
nb frequency: 2000
NB volts: Auto
RAM: 8GB 1333 9-9-9-24-34-2T @1.504V
Motherboard: MSI 870a-G54
Cooling: Air cooling/Hyper 212 evo+ push/pull
GFLOPS: 65.4
Max Core Temp: 3@49C 3@50C
Max Socket Temp: 51C
Max NB: 36C

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/stabilityprrof.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/stabilityprrof2.png/
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2365568

If you need anything else let me know!

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I'll try the ram timings. Regarding the nb, should I be oc'ing it when I don't have a decent passive/active cooler on it? And is oc'ing the nb achieved by raising the nb multiplier?

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
After a few tests seems the 1T timing is stable and a fair bit quicker.. first run and it instantly beat my previous best Gflop.

bought a 965 BE for $90 USD at local Microcenter
stable at 4.0ghz with just multi raised and everything else on auto
need to play with voltage since it is on auto running at max of 1.52v
think I can manually set it and get lower voltage
finally got my ram running at 1600mhz 9=9=9=27 1T
when I am bored I will also try to tightent timings

nice oc on that 1090T Rrruby

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
use nb multiplier, fsb or both to raise, max cpu-nb voltage 1.35v and try to hit 3ghz (mine can hit 3.2 but to make it stable @ 1.35v i need to down it to 2.9)
and increase ht to 2.4 to max of 2.6

it incresed my multicore performance very little

@ king
my 1090t is still faster than that :p
mine 1090t is running at 3.84@1.4v at all core turbo upto 4.08 cnq active (lollipop :whistle: )

1.52v is toooooo much, is it c2 or c3
and yes you repeated yourself indirectly in amd pd thread
and yes you repeated yourself indirectly in amd pd thread
:lol:

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Been reading about the 4 power phase design - not going to lie it's worrying me! Apparently this stresses the mosfets, and in MSI boards they can burst into flames. Is it worth looking at buying some heat spreaders to stick on? Already had to RMA my board once! Not sure I can OC my processor much more, even if it is just with turbo core :D
Does OC'ing the nb make a noticeable difference to performance?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

it works in my case (but sometime it doesn't :whistle: )

currently i am using 240x16@1.408v as base and x17 as turbo
when turbo kicks in then my vcore hits 1.488 and on idle it hits 1.216 and x4 multiplier

didn't tested it for stability (stock heatsink :koala: ), but is stable in blend test.

To test turbo, i use winrar bench, peazip bench, constant refresh, and affinity change techniq

My mobo is the Asus M4A77TD Truegenius
you really need to double check your facts before making statements :non:

because actually the Asus M4 series is 8+1 Phase Power Design
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131397
http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/asus-m4a77td-pro-motherboard/1707-3049_7-33737226.html

Mal picked it out for me
Mal knows how to pick out kick butt mobos
this has all solid caps and really great OCing BIOS plus ACC and Asus Unleash mode for core unlocking