AMD Overclocking Club

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sachin_pal125

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
hey can anyone help me with my new AMD A8 4500m.
i want to overclock it, is it possible??
actually, i have recently bought a new hp pavilion g6 2005Ax.
for gaming, it has nice performance but lags a bit in gaming...
plz help

This is the wrong thread to ask for help mate, but check the overclocking guide at the top of the section and that should get you started, assuming your Hp bios is not locked ofc
Prebuilts aren't Overclocker friendly by and large
Moto

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Working out the hiccups on this config so it's fully stable.... have it up and running, but still throws errors every now and then. Pretty happy with 4.55ghz CPU, 2700mhz NB and 2200mhz HT on a X4 965 :D

4550_zpsd4fe0c16.jpg

**Pretty happy with 4.55ghz CPU**
you should be more than 'pretty happy' man, 4.5 on a Deneb at home (I.e. not Ln2 team clocking) is awesome :)
My parts are on route for my loop expansion so I should be playing again soon
**Edit, try throwing your ram to 2T, helped a lot on my efforts
Moto

I'm contemplating a way on modding my 2 cases, (meaning my in use Intel 2700K and my AMD 965BE secondary backup machine.), so I can transfer my TEC CPU cooling to my AMD 965BE as quick swap mounting, (Not having to reroute tubing and draining the system to do it, just pull the wires and water block, swap the cases and hook it all back up., the only negative is the water block mounting with the difference of Intel and AMD), I'm curious as to it's overclocking capabilities once it has 10c water temperature cooling it?

I do have a 2nd water block I could configure as an AMD mounting, and just change the water block itself, wouldn't loose hardly any liquid doing that, so it's possible, cutting the cases will be the biggest negative.

I'm not sure how much it will weaken the cases to pull this off, and I'll have to fabricate some type of removable strengthening bar or plate, but I've been curious for a while of what I could get from the 965BE, if it can be kept cool enough.

Would that information of a 10c actual water temperature cooling an AMD CPU be interesting to you?

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

It actually would interest me quite a bit. However, I am curious at what point the voltage itself will surpass the capacity of the CPU architecture, and if that will occur before thermal issues become present using your cold-water cooling scenario.

Believe it or not, the overclock I posted above isn't being limited by thermal issues at the moment. I could easily run an OCCT 1-hour test and stay under 62c with my ridiculous new airflow configuration, except I have the processor throwing errors first. The primary cause that will soon be fixed is that I am running horrible quality memory that can't handle what the rest of the components can push. After the replacement RAM shows up Monday, then I could keep pushing voltage and probably be just fine- which is when your H20 would potentially save the day- except I really don't know how far past 1.53v CPU and (as I recall) 1.38v CPU/NB you could push it- with or without heat as a constraint.

Being able to reference whatever you'd learn from a chilled water cooling run would indeed be very helpful. If you are able to keep pushing the voltage up so long as the heat stays in check, I could feel safe doing the same- given of course, not to the same numbers you'd be hitting. Right now, I think I have the power as high as I'm comfortable attempting without some well-documented evidence that I won't have a full meltdown....

BTW Moto, who says I'm not just a shared profile created by a group of ln2 clockers? :D

**BTW Moto, who says I'm not just a shared profile created by a group of ln2 clockers? **
If you were you wouldn't be asking me for advice :p
and you'd be stomping on my clockspeed as well hehe

@Ryan, howsabout QDC's after each Cpu block? no need to remount then just pull the lines from one rig, plug into the second and bang, back on desktop in four minutes thirty six seconds
Moto

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Touche... haha

Hey still, if you consider the fact that I am using 4x4gb of Kingston 1333mhz CL9 memory at the moment, I think that it's sort of an unfair fight.

Thought about that immediately after posting, what brand are you using?

And how much fluid leaks when you disconnect?

Priced everything I would need and, :eek:

Not Gone Happen! :non:

Not Gone Happen!! :non:

Not Gone Happen!!! :non:

I cannot justify that expense to my other half, even for Christmas, there's too many other things I can do with that amount of money besides the disconnecting convenience, I'll just spill some freaking fluid and replace it!

Thanks anyway! :whistle: :hello:

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Okay so I don't need a tutorial here to take up space and annoy everyone else, but how much time/skill/money would go into switching to a H20 setup that would be significantly better than any air options? I already have one build that I've accepted wil never be left alone without tweaking for more than a few days, so I might as well see if I can get some stupid-high benchmarks out of it before dumping the 965 for a 8350.....

Skill, very little, and that can be attained through reading the sticky and asking questions,
time, as soon as you can afford the parts,
money, decent kits start at around £140 but depending on tastes, there is no enough, just more headroom and a better Delta :)
Moto

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I don't know what that funny sign is in front of the 140, but I think that your keyboard's "4" key might be having issues....

That isn't bad though, if it will net good gains. Which, at least come summer here in CA, it likely will over air...

Its the sign for the Great British pound, one of the oldest and most stable currencies in the world, how can you not ever have seen it? :)
I think you should post a thread in the Watercooling section and we can discuss things further concerning W/c, and if its the right course of action for you
Moto

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
I don't know what that funny sign is in front of the 140, but I think that your keyboard's "4" key might be having issues....
:lol: i got what you mean, these signs ($¢£€ etc) are injurious to health :p

:whistle: shocked :lol:

btw, are these good choice to have:
1. cooler master hyper 101 for core2duo to hit around 4ghz
2. cooler master hyper 101 for i3-3220 to hit 3.5 to 3.8ghz (around 110mhz fsb as we can't clock it much higher :( )
3. cooler master hyper tx3 for phenom 2 1090t to hit 4ghz @1.45v
room temperature is 25'C
(though i can clock the 1090t to 4ghz after disabling 2 cores with stock heatsink and temperatures remains around 60-65'c during intel burn test 64bit)

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
IconsLandVistaStyleEmoticonsDemo-PNG-64x64-Cool.png-64x64.png

i can clock it to 4ghz at all cores but needs to bump the voltage up to 1.475v and due to crapy case it gets over 60 in simple cinebench r11.5 multi core bench (64 bit ;) ) in which i scored 7.1 points B)
but due to noice and heat i keep it at 3.6ghz

thus i got a quad at 4 giga for gaming and a hex core monster running at 3.6ghz for video transcoding :D
all of these for price of a locked i5! :D thats the point ;)

:hello: btw the choices (heatsinks , tight budget :p ) !? :/

also :- next aim is to clock my android 25% higher than stock B)

swords24

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
This is what mine looks like

CPU: 960T
Name: Swords24
Stepping: 0
Frequency 4.0Ghz
ref*multi: 200*20
CPU voltage: 1.45V
CPU-NB: 1.15
NB frequency: 2000
NB-Volts: auto
RAM 12GB G.Skill 667 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V
Motherboard : MSI 870sG46
Cooling: hyper 212+/air cooling

ScreenShot
http://imgur.com/exaPh

im going to be updating this post as i have pushed it further, or ill just make a new post to make it easier to keep track of