xGigabyte

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Solution

well it finished running and didn't...

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
Just ignore overdrive for anything except monitoring and maybe stress testing the overclock if you are that concerned; use the bios to put the multiplier at the level you want. What you need to do is go in a multiplier of 0.5 increments eg. 18, 18.5 and nudge vCore up a couple of increments then you need to test if it's stable and if not then you need to increase vCore a bit more while monitering the temps to ensure they stay tolerable. And yes you need to disable turbo core while overclocking.

If I use overdrive on my FX it just goes BLAM 4.9ghz straight away with no intermediate increments or testing; suffice to say on the stock cooler that was not an attainable overclock.

when I moved on to a water cooler and applied some tweaks to increase the water flow rate & other values I could easily attain 4.9ghz at ddr3 2400 with proper 2400 sticks without overheating or freezing. -these are factors that overdrive has no control over. You tell me - the notion that overdrive could possibly autotune an overclock is simply wishful thinking.

I still have more to do to push that boundary but I'm getting bogged down in other stuff this week so I need to focus on it to shift it a bit more. I have a feeling it can do 5ghz plus so I'm just going to have a go anyway.

Does the overclock do anything? Certainly: for example, tomb raider 2015 can run at 40-60 fps rather than 15-25; that's the difference between a tolerable game experience and jerky frames.

xGigabyte

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

Thanks for the fast reply! It makes really a difference for gaming. Now I'm playing games with 40 - 60 fps and with that overlclock I can play games at 60fps+. I managed to get the multiplier higher, but if I type a voltage in the vcore tab, and I press enter, it jumps back to auto for some reason. Maybe you know how to save the voltage?

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
Well I have no clue what your motherboard is

In my sabertooth I just flip to the AI tweaker page set the power control to manual and use the plus & minus keys to raise or lower it, by a few increments & type in the ratio of, for example 24.5 for my 4.9ghz overclock and press f10 save and exit and it gives me no grief whatsoever

Which might be one of the reasons I spent a little bit extra on the mobo, this time around.

xGigabyte

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

I managed to overclock my cpu to 4,0 ghz and now I want to know if it's stable. I did the Amd Overdrive stability test for one hour. It's finished right now, but how can I see if it's stable? Btw I have a Gigabyte G1 Sniper a88x motherboard wich is around $110 dollar.

well it finished running and didn't crash the computer then it is somewhat stable. try running prime95 for an hour or two. still doesn't crash then its is stable.

Solution