[SOLVED] AMD PC Randomly Restarts 30 Minutes into Gaming

smalltown31

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
I can work on my setup all day and won't have any issues. Whenever I start gaming it will work for like 30 minutes and then restart like clockwork. Sometimes faster if I alt-tab. I've tried gaming in full screen, windows and borderless, doesn't make a difference.

I play apex, Rocket league, Halo infinite, doesn't matter what game it restarts in 30~ish minutes.

I've ran memory tests, didn't find anything. I ran userbenchmark. Here's my results. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49912137
I did a clean install of windows. didn't help
My bios is fairly updated (like 5 months ago). I updated through the bios.

Temperatures range between 50-65 on my GPU while gaming.
CPU temps range from 45-55.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Motherboard: MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91)
Power Supply: EVGA 850 P2
RAM: 32 GB TEAMGROUP-UD4-3600
SSD: 500 GB M.2 Samsung

Most of this stuff is less than a year old. the SSD is probably the oldest at 4 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

logainofhades

Titan
What are you using to measure your cpu temps? You say the cpu is only reaching 45-55 but it looks like your cpu is thermal throttling on your userbenchmark result?

Agreed, given the turbo clock is lower than the base clock, during that run. Motherboard shouldn't have any VRM temp issues, given the model. Graphics card isn't working at full potential either.

smalltown31

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
This is helpful thank you!

I did increase some power on my GPU last night using MSI Afterburner. Should help there.

As for my CPU, how do you suggest going about increasing the performance.

I'm probably going to explain this wrong but here goes. It seems that my im limiting my CPU and therefore when it gets to a certain temp or usage that's what is causing the restarts?

Is the solution to overclock my CPU then?

Appreciate all the help!

smalltown31

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
This is helpful thank you!

I did increase some power on my GPU last night using MSI Afterburner. Should help there.

As for my CPU, how do you suggest going about increasing the performance.

I'm probably going to explain this wrong but here goes. It seems that my im limiting my CPU and therefore when it gets to a certain temp or usage that's what is causing the restarts?

Is the solution to overclock my CPU then?

Appreciate all the help!

I jumped the gun. I should probably look at better cooling my CPU as well. I've been thinking of upgrading my liquid cooler.

smalltown31

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022

smalltown31

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
What are you using to measure your cpu temps? You say the cpu is only reaching 45-55 but it looks like your cpu is thermal throttling on your userbenchmark result?

I ended up resetting my Motherboard (took the battery out to reset). I think this fixed the restarting issue as it hasn't happened yet.

I ran a new benchmark and my CPU looks better.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50159115

It looks like the only thing that is underperforming now is my RAM. It suggests adding XMP but I believe this might have been the reason my computer was restarting in the first place, because I had it enabled.

Reactions: kurdtnz
The RAM speed will definitely affect overall performance. Was the RAM on your motherboards QVL? (compatibility list?) Which slots do you have the 2 RAM slotted into? (should be A2 and B2, the 2nd and 4th slots from the cpu.) Ryzen's have always been fussy with RAM, if you enable XMP in BIOS and it is causing your issues, you may have to manually set the timings in the BIOS, someone with more experience can advise you how.