AMD PCI E 16 3.0 motherboard?

samwisewonder

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I would like to know if there is an AMD MOBO with a PCIE-16 3.0? I want to get a liquid cooled graphics card, but as far as I can find they only come in 3.0. I know 3.0 is backward compatible, but who wants to hitch a street rod up to a trailer? If I have to upgrade both, I want to do it in style. I really don't want to have to change processors to accomplish this.

Solution
amd does not support pcie 3.0 yet. however, you won't see any performance drop from a x16 2.0 slot.

it has been shown over and over that no card needs the 3.0 bandwidth right now and probably won't for a long time to come. so grab that card and enjoy your gaming with no worries.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
amd does not support pcie 3.0 yet. however, you won't see any performance drop from a x16 2.0 slot.

it has been shown over and over that no card needs the 3.0 bandwidth right now and probably won't for a long time to come. so grab that card and enjoy your gaming with no worries.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

hhhhmmmmm first time i have ever seen this. i stand corrected as it seems 3.0 has come to amd. however, it's still not needed and $200 is a lot just for a spec you don't need

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the link. always good to be up to speed on what's out there. this quote is interesting "The 48-lane PCIe 3.0 PLX chip lets two PCI Express x16 slots to operate at PCIe 3.0 data-rates, which may boost performance of high-end multi-GPU configurations."

does this mean you get some extra speed only in 2 card set-ups and not with a single card? it's still an interesting idea to help the aging platform some.

samwisewonder

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Thanks for the help, although the Gen 3 seems to be out of stock....everywhere. Just read that the 2 to 3 difference isn't worth the $$'s.

samwisewonder

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Really? Is there any noticeable improvement?.....refresh....anything?