AMD Phenom x4 965 black vs Athlon x4 750k

ge7atme

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I was wondering which of these would be better for gaming. I am also going to need a budget mini itx motherboard with it. I think the Phenom is am3 and the Athlon might be am2. I am using a 430w power supply with a r7 265. I am willing to over clock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

The 750K is FM2. If you are going to overclock either satisfactorily you need a board with 8+2 phase power. I am pretty sure that would eliminate any AM3 or AM3+ Micro ATX boards for the 965 BE. At this point I would get the 750K, a good FM2+ board and a decent cpu cooler. I would get a full ATX board even if its a little more money. FM2+ board not FM2, for a decent upgrade path.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

The 750K is FM2. If you are going to overclock either satisfactorily you need a board with 8+2 phase power. I am pretty sure that would eliminate any AM3 or AM3+ Micro ATX boards for the 965 BE. At this point I would get the 750K, a good FM2+ board and a decent cpu cooler. I would get a full ATX board even if its a little more money. FM2+ board not FM2, for a decent upgrade path.

Solution