AMD Posts Catalyst 13.10 Beta Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
By the title, I thought WOW, finally! An update from the ancient 13.4 driver. Then I open the post and see it's just a beta.

Hurry up AMD, get to stable.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I ended up sending AMD some driver feedback over this. They keep releasing new beta drivers but never the final release. The most recent WHQL driver was 13.4. Not long after they put out 13.5 beta, then 13.6 beta, then 13.8 beta and now 13.10 beta. With each beta they keep adding new features and fixed but they have yet to roll any of the last 4 driver versions out in finished form. They need to stop dawdling and get a finished release out.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Stuck with AMD forever, until Ivy came out, went to intel and I'm not looking back. It seems like its time to leave AMD behind again and turn to nVidia.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I guess they are waiting to hit version 14 before they release a non beta. I haven't used an official release for quite some time as a result.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Yes, how dare they release improved drivers that continue to improve both performance and frame pacing in Crossfire setups, as well as general bugfixes. Those bastards.
Well for starters, it's a beta driver. It was fixing a bug... in the previous beta driver. Second, not every bug is encountered by every user. If it was only doing this in a small percentage of cases, it could very easily slip past. What's important is that they (like Nvidia) work hard to correct their driver issues.

I've used cards from multiple vendors over the years, and Nvidia has had their fair share of screw ups - software and otherwise.

DA_Maz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Seems like AMD abandoned the 7790.
No working drivers since april despite they released 1-2 drivers every month since then.

I am running my 7790 on driver version 12.1 and have huge sound issues and driver crashes, which fix those sound issues every now and then. So it's clearly a driver issue. (with a new windows installment)

I will never buy an AMD card again, because what logic is that: 7790 not part of 7xxx series. Every new (beta)driver works for every HD 4xxx-7xxx card, BUT the 7790. There was no mention of this in the card description or details.

The 13.10 drivers are working on my 7790, I don't use the sound output from the card though.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Yes! Can't wait to try this on Total War (been playing since release) with my crossfire setup. Beta or not, I'll take it! Never had corruption issues before with the game, but an exciting update nonetheless.

DA_Maz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012

It's not that all these new drivers aren't working per se on the HD 7790.

It's just that they are extremely unstable and don't fix the static sound my PCI-soundcard produces when the GPU is under load. For some reason this problem gets fixed when the error "display driver has stopped working and has been recovered" occurs, but this error occurs so randomly that I can't reproduce it manually to make the static sound stop.

So here is the driversituation for the 7790 if you really run this card for long amounts of time:

12.1: runs relativly safe especially in games this driver never failed. "display driver has stopped working and has been recovered" occurs at least once a day but only while browsing and scrolling pictures or watching youtube videos. After this most of the time the problem with static sound ceases to exist as long as the PC isn't restarted.

13.4: Display driver crashes every 30min even in games. Totally unusable

13.6&13.8: When windows turns off the monitor (power saving) there is a high chance it won't come back to windows, but to bios (computer restart). Additionally the sound problem persists.

13.10: "Worked" for 1 day without crashes, but the sound problem persists. Today I was away from PC for some time (monitor got turned off). When I came back and moved the mouse the PC started to restart. Needless to say I won't "test" this driver any longer.

As gaming isn't the only thing I do with my PC, those random restarts are just unacceptable. A lot of hard work can be lost just by talking to someone for a short period of time. I'm glad I didn't lost some work-progress due to them, but to keep it that way I have to use driver vers. 12.1.

So technically every new driver works for some short time-period for the HD 7790.

But they are far from usable: Random restarts without warning or any way to stop them are the worst, it makes working on the PC a nightmare. Driver crashes every 30min makes it impossible to game with this card.

The fact stands: AMD failed to release a usable driver since april for the HD 7790 and even this one driver can't handle PCI soundcards (It magically learns to do this after it crashed one time for the remaining session, but crashing shouldn't be a driver-routine)

descrasnezul

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The beta driver is complete crap. Destroyed my system to the point where even normal drivers wont work anymore. Should have kept with Beta 8. Completely uninstalled all prior drivers and install managers before update (as you should) and after restart I was told there was no driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.