News AMD Posts First Official Fix for Windows 11 Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinyFatMan

Prominent
Sep 22, 2021
Wintel strikes back?

Without wishing to be accused of being paranoid or conspiratorial, it is "strange" that Windows 11 only affects AMD's CPUs.
We know the "alliance" has existed for a long time between Microsoft and Intel, so it seems "a little" fishy.
Especially since Intel is releasing its new generation of CPUs!

Reactions: VforV

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I want to know where MS's WU is. It was released to preview channel. And thought it would have been out Tuesday. Although looking at AIDA64 benches. I think MS had more work to do with it WRT the read, write and copy speeds on L3. Although the latency issue looked resolved.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Now all MS has to do is drag it a little more with the patch, until after the Alder Lake reviews, just so all the "Destroys/Smashes/Obliterates" click bait titles for Alder Lake performance leaks, come true vs Zen3.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
installed this chipset driver + had the L3 fix KB already

There's still issues with L3 bandwidth, it's all over the place 200Gb/s-400Gb/s not 1000Gb/s like Windows 10

Considering this is ongoing for months now, I think Intel / MS are doing it on purpose.

It almost feels like MS / Intel scheduler is not using the entire size of the L3 on AMD systems; just in time to screw with new v-cache from AMD !

The major problem here is AMD still has to support Microsoft for issues relating to their processors. I don't know how much support AMD actually provides to other developers, but considering how much they really push for community support and how relatively smaller they are when compared to Intel or NVIDIA, I can't imagine they have a lot of resources to throw around to provide said support.

But it's also funny how if AMD is slower, it's a conspiracy that their competitor is gimping them. But when AMD is faster, nobody bats an eye.

Reactions: renz496 and ezst036
But it's also funny how if AMD is slower, it's a conspiracy that their competitor is gimping them. But when AMD is faster, nobody bats an eye.
No, Intel marketing discredits the benchmarks they were praising previously and the sheep follow suit :D

It swings both ways really. You always have to read the fine print.

As for the "conspiracy" here. As much it amuses me, it's stupid to think in such a thing.

Remember: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". Or, in this case, a bit of incompetence from both AMD and Microsoft for not catching such a thing while working on the Kernel for Win11. What I do think about that is the time given to AMD to check and their constraints may have put them way behind schedule. Proof of that is they knew about most of the issues and were really forthcoming about them, no?

Regards.

Reactions: Conahl

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Wintel strikes back?

Without wishing to be accused of being paranoid or conspiratorial, it is "strange" that Windows 11 only affects AMD's CPUs.
We know the "alliance" has existed for a long time between Microsoft and Intel, so it seems "a little" fishy.
Especially since Intel is releasing its new generation of CPUs!
Nothing strange at all. AMD engineers are deeply involved with the HAL for AMD CPUs and most of the chip set driver work happens at AMD, not Microsoft. This is every bit as much AMD's screwup, if not more.

No, Intel marketing discredits the benchmarks they were praising previously and the sheep follow suit :D

It swings both ways really. You always have to read the fine print.
In most PC enthusiast forums I've been in, AMD is godlike. AMD can do no wrong. And if AMD is faltering, it's always their competitors doing something and they never consider AMD actually screwed up.

But otherwise I don't deny fanboyism doesn't exist on the other side. It's just I see AMD's fanboyism much more often.

In most PC enthusiast forums I've been in, AMD is godlike. AMD can do no wrong. And if AMD is faltering, it's always their competitors doing something and they never consider AMD actually screwed up.

But otherwise I don't deny fanboyism doesn't exist on the other side. It's just I see AMD's fanboyism much more often.
I mean, the "AMD can do no wrong" bit... You gotta admit Intel has baggage at least 100 times bigger than AMD. About 50% of that bag's size was thanks to Otellini alone. And the rest of the bag have been OEMs and even AMD people itself just bending over Intel giving them a pass for whatever reason. If I interpret that correctly, you could argue AMD is in a better spot in terms of "Company fairness" than Intel and still is. Sure, AMD has had screw ups, but nothing that you can confidently say "that was damaging for the consumer" with no second reads. So, at least for that very specific part, I can understand why AMD could have their fanbois putting AMD on such a pedestal (or high horse?). If you ask me, personally going* by track record alone, I am willing to give AMD the benefit of the doubt 7 out of 10 times; Intel 1 out of 10.

All of the above being said, I always read both sides fanbois everywhere and both are equally disgusting. I even remember some famous Tom's Hardware fanbois which switched sides from time to time; ah, those were creepy-funny. And just to be explicit, I think they're about the same in numbers. GPU-wise... I think there's like 3:1 more nVidia fanbois, haha.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 1353997

Update 10/21/21 10 am PT: Microsoft has now released the Windows 11 22000.282 patch (KB0006746) to the general public.

Note: It's KB5006746, not KB0006746.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Much ado about nothing...and the patch is available for the Beta channel release of Win11 through the Insider's Group, but Microsoft has yet to release it for the Dev version of Win11, which is sort of weird--build 22483.1000 (Dev channel)hasn't received it yet, and the standalone patch, CU KB5006746, will only install on the Insider's Beta channel build 22000.282--which is not available to the general public but only to Insider's running the Beta channel build, AFAIK.

CPU adjustments are par for the course with every new OS release--nothing new or unusual here at all. If you think this report is something to see--you ain't seen nothing yet you'll see when Intel's new architecture CPUs finally ship--you are going to see a lot of this, I'll predict--and about a solid year of Intel bios turning and bug fixing. Par for the course with every new OS (and new architecture CPU released). Nothing to see here...;) Strictly minor league stuff.

It's once again "Mountain out of Molehill" time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Now all MS has to do is drag it a little more with the patch, until after the Alder Lake reviews, just so all the "Destroys/Smashes/Obliterates" click bait titles for Alder Lake performance leaks, come true vs Zen3.

You do realize that running at full force on Windows 10, Alder Lake will still smash AMD's Zen 3. Everything I've seen is pretty impressive.

HOWEVER Zen 3 with VCache is another story. It will bring it fairly close, especially under multithread. After that it will be neck in neck.

May 21, 2021
Apparently, the only person with an AMD processor on the Windows 11 development team is kept deep in the basement, given a can of raid to assist with the roach problem, and is only still being paid because of a "glitch" in the system.
“Okayyyyy…that’s the last straw” proceeds to burn down intel headquarters.

Good one mate!

Here we go again...
That's what swan actually said.
For the pandemic we had countless moms and dads that only needed to do video conferencing and maybe some light office work.
All he said is that it is smarter to build simple machines that just do what these people need them to do instead of making machines with super high scores that have terrible support for video compression for example.
But Swan also says that the current pandemic is a chance to stop worrying about such things as benchmark numbers.

"We should see this moment as an opportunity to shift our focus as an industry from benchmarks to the benefits and impacts of the technology we create," he says. "The pandemic has underscored the need for technology to be purpose-built so it can meet these evolving business and consumer needs.

If you ask me, personally going* by track record alone, I am willing to give AMD the benefit of the doubt 7 out of 10 times; Intel 1 out of 10.
Yeah if someone makes up the track record in their brain, or only by the click bait titles of articles instead of reading them, they are going to follow a fantasy.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
You do realize that running at full force on Windows 10, Alder Lake will still smash AMD's Zen 3. Everything I've seen is pretty impressive.

HOWEVER Zen 3 with VCache is another story. It will bring it fairly close, especially under multithread. After that it will be neck in neck.
Define "full force"... Alder Lake on Win10+DDR4 is not at full force, even with DDR5 is not at full force, the only full force for Alder Lake is on Win11+DDR5, in any other combination it's "gimped" and not helped by the "extra helpers" (as in Win 11 and DDR5).

1. People need to question how big is the actual CPU leap in performance for Alder Lake and how much extra performance comes from Win11 and DDR5? No one talks about this aspect...

2. I see everyone ignoring the fact that 11900K beats the 5950x in single threaded synthetic benchmarks already, yet it loses in lots of games... it loses even vs 10900K in some games. So that means that the actual "smashes/destroys/obliterates" performance we see now in these synthetic leaks over Zen3 is actually smaller in games. Take that away and take away Win11+DDR5 and it will show much less stellar than these leaks show it to be...

The reviews will prove this. Even if it beats Zen3 in gaming it will not be by these margins we see now in synthetics.

And then comes Zen 3D.

Define "full force"... Alder Lake on Win10+DDR4 is not at full force, even with DDR5 is not at full force, the only full force for Alder Lake is on Win11+DDR5, in any other combination it's "gimped" and not helped by the "extra helpers" (as in Win 11 and DDR5).
Tell us one benchmark that will show the performance of these "extra helpers"
All of the benchmarks..ALL of them that everybody looks at, can send one thread to each hardware thread and there is no special scheduler needed for that.
There is not a single common benchmark that can even show the difference of these "extra helpers"
2. I see everyone ignoring the fact that 11900K beats the 5950x in single threaded synthetic benchmarks already, yet it loses in lots of games... it loses even vs 10900K in some games. So that means that the actual "smashes/destroys/obliterates" performance we see now in these synthetic leaks over Zen3 is actually smaller in games. Take that away and take away Win11+DDR5 and it will show much less stellar than these leaks show it to be...
The synthetic difference is around 40% ... even if it loses a lot of that performance in games it's still going to be a big jump from previous gens.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

ssj3rd

Commendable
Dec 10, 2020
Hui Fanboy War here, im getting popcorn.
It’s ridiculous but entertaining at the same time.

You’re doing great guys 👍

I mean... If I were to use your brain I wouldn't question Intel :D

Regards.
Ask anybody you know that normally has nothing to do with computers but had to buy something for home office due to the pandemic what their criteriums where, was it certain threshold of score in XYZ benchmark or was it has to run facetime, has to have solid wifi, has to have a decent display, etc.

Ask anybody you know that normally has nothing to do with computers but had to buy something for home office due to the pandemic what their criteriums where, was it certain threshold of score in XYZ benchmark or was it has to run facetime, has to have solid wifi, has to have a decent display, etc.
Yes. Most of those people get an Apple laptop or HP or Dell or Lenovo with whatever they have inside. They don't know CPU or GPU brands. They may know about Intel, but they have no idea what they do.

So, I'm not sure what your point is. Intel always makes better quality products? Yes, that's because nVidia and Intel make OEMs drop the quality bar with AMD products or they lose allocation of products.

Regards.

Yes. Most of those people get an Apple laptop or HP or Dell or Lenovo with whatever they have inside. They don't know CPU or GPU brands. They may know about Intel, but they have no idea what they do.

So, I'm not sure what your point is.
My point is that this is exactly what swan said.
He didn't say screw benchmarks, he said during pandemic almost nobody will care about benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.