AMD Posts Ryzen Community Update; Power Patch Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

To be fair, people have been yelling at Tom's over the system builder marathons and stuff because most people want them to ditch the optical disk drive and Windows 7 isn't as easy to do that with compared to newer versions. Also, DX12 doesn't run on Windows 7, so that means some games will run differently in DX11 or not at all.

I doubt Tom's is "afraid" of MS. They might do a full Windows 7 review later. It only makes sense that their first review was on the current operating system that is required for several game configurations that most readers want to see.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
There are currently a few issues with ryzen that need to be sorted.

1) process need to be prioritized to one ccx unless they effectively ask for all cores, as we have seen, the drop in draw calls is between 10-20% when the cores need to communicate
2) ram needs to get itself sorted, this is my biggest issue with jumping into ryzen, well... besides needing my gpu back from an rma, and overall price of ssd and ram currently. Faster ram disproportionately effects ryzen over intel, once the motherboards get that sorted out, will likely see performance jump a bit.
3) power management, whatever the hell is happening in windows needs to stop

Now, going forward, Its honestly difficult to say if amd needs to fix the ccx issues for ryzen+ by then, core use will/should/microsoft amy finally get off their butt and code something that isn't spyware or advertising for the first time in nearly 3 years, be solved or at least worked around on an os level, and going forward the thought that programs wont be made that work around this, or even in the case of maffia 3 in spite of the down sides, 'fixing' it may just be legacy support, but getting that latency down would likely boost performance in the few workloads that use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.