AMD-powered Jaguar is 'Fastest Supercomputer'

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Can it play Crysis though?[/citation]

[citation][nom]deadcat[/nom]That joke it's old and I think I hate it![/citation]

We ALL hate it!!!

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I wonder how much of that computing power they actually use at one time. It seems to me that the way applications are written these days 222,162 threads would be hard to use.

G

[citation][nom]papasmurf[/nom]I wonder how much of that computing power they actually use at one time. It seems to me that the way applications are written these days 222,162 threads would be hard to use.[/citation]

Um, they aren't spending millions and millions of dollars JUST for epeen inches. The scientific applications for which these kinds of computers are used can in fact utilize most of the available CPU time.

welah

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I think petaflops per second would be a measure of acceleration - That would be pretty impressive:
1.759 * 10^15 operations per second per second; it out to be up in the Exaflop range after only a few minutes!

That's Damned impressive!

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Must take a power station to run the thing... and I bet it generates enough Global Warming all by itself (between coal burning power generation and 40,000 HSF's) that Al Gore cries every time it powers up.[/citation]

Don't worry, it's at Oakridge, they have an entire nuclear power plant to run it, lol.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
It would be interesting to see what data was analyzed on the previous Jaguar and the current one and comparison on achievements. and who are their clients? Is movie makers render their HD videos? Sony pictures? Columbia Pictures? This is interesting....

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Can it play Crysis though?[/citation]
Can Crysis run on Linux?!
No. I am sorry you can't run Crysis. Go cry to EA.

Or quit making stupid jokes.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
To be honest, I doubt even this computer can run Crysis effectively.

Judging by the fact that a 3 year old game still can't run at max settings on even some of the highest end consumer hardware, it's pretty obvious it's just a poorly coded piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS