News AMD-Powered Server Revenue Grew 112 Percent YoY, ARM Also Increasing Rapidly

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
"The Milan processors will square off with Intel's Sapphire Rapids chips, which debut in a similar time frame."

What's new in Milan?
Milan ist a Zen3-based drop-in replacement for Rome. Nothing "fancy" as far as I know. Faster of course because of Zen3 IPC gains, but still up to 64 cores. Major changes and improvements will be implemented with Zen4/Genoa in 2022 (e.g. DDR5, PCIe 5 and more cores in 5 nm).

Btw ... the sentence is wrong. I guess the author meant Ice Lake SP, not Sapphire Rapids SP. Ice Lake SP with 8 memory channels, DDR4 and possibly up to 36 cores (?) should arrive in 1Q21. Sapphire Rapids SP will show up in the second half of the year, most likely at the end and volume shippment possibly even starts at the beginning of 2022 (?) ... According to Intel, Sapphire Rapids SP has already entered or will enter sampling phase within a few weeks (it has been promised to take place until the end of 2020), therefore ... no release within the next few months. ;-)

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
Milan ist a Zen3-based drop-in replacement for Rome. Nothing "fancy" as far as I know. Faster of course because of Zen3 IPC gains, but still up to 64 cores. Major changes and improvements will be implemented with Zen4/Genoa in 2022 (e.g. DDR5, PCIe 5 and more cores in 5 nm).

Btw ... the sentence is wrong. I guess the author meant Ice Lake SP, not Sapphire Rapids SP. Ice Lake SP with 8 memory channels, DDR4 and possibly up to 36 cores (?) should arrive in 1Q21. Sapphire Rapids SP will show up in the second half of the year, most likely at the end and volume shippment possibly even starts at the beginning of 2022 (?) ... According to Intel, Sapphire Rapids SP has already entered or will enter sampling phase within a few weeks (it has been promised to take place until the end of 2020), therefore ... no release within the next few months. ;-)

Opps, thanks :) fixed.