AMD prepares for a comeback in 2007

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I was shocked after hearing that Conroe wacked and FX-60 clocked @2.8 GHZ.
But I think that AMD will respond in no time, and even after AM2 is released, I think that Conroe would beat the Athlon 64.
But just for a few months, because I heard that AMD would release their new microarchitecure in 2007, and after the benchmarking of Conroe, the only thing AMD would think of is marking a earlier release date for their new microarchitecture.As for me, I don't mind waiting till 2007 as my rig would still be able to hold on a little bit.

AMD's K8L Architecture will include:
1) Hypertransport 3.0
2)DDR3 Support
3)Scalable SMP (instead of directconncect arhcitecture)
4)Extensions to AMD 64
and lots of other stuff

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29890

although this article states the AMD comeback to be in H2 2007, but when intel starts heating up conroe with more Gigahertz, then AMD will surely mark an earlier release date.

Sounds exciting!

I think that K8L will be AMD's way back to the top after Intel releases its Intel Core Micro-Architecture.

I have a feeling it will be a much more interesting time for processor fans, these next few years! The race is heating up!

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
I have a feeling it will be a much more interesting time for processor fans, these next few years! The race is heating up!

I don't know, I think processor fans are losing status with the loss of the P4! :twisted: :p

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
the DDR3 seems to be a big gamble to me, especially that soon (< 1 year after changing to DDR2). I'm all for the processor performance race, but not when it requires buying a completely new setup on a yearly basis to keep up. Granted, DDR3 has been around for a while now...and amd's roadmap still says DDR3 in '08, although with this conroe thing (where the hell do they get these names?) they may have pushed it up a bit.

I'm just glad AMD is to the point where they can forge a new market if they want to and put some pressure on intel to make better stuff.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I was shocked after hearing that Conroe wacked and FX-60 clocked @2.8 GHZ.
But I think that AMD will respond in no time, and even after AM2 is released, I think that Conroe would beat the Athlon 64.
But just for a few months, because I heard that AMD would release their new microarchitecure in 2007, and after the benchmarking of Conroe, the only thing AMD would think of is marking a earlier release date for their new microarchitecture.As for me, I don't mind waiting till 2007 as my rig would still be able to hold on a little bit.

AMD's K8L Architecture will include:
1) Hypertransport 3.0
2)DDR3 Support
3)Scalable SMP (instead of directconncect arhcitecture)
4)Extensions to AMD 64
and lots of other stuff

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29890

although this article states the AMD comeback to be in H2 2007, but when intel starts heating up conroe with more Gigahertz, then AMD will surely mark an earlier release date.

Instead of Direct Connect Architecture? Uhm...sir..you made that up. AMD is working on DCA 2.0 to be used IN SMP systems over 8+ CPU's. K8L, AFAIK, is something The Inquirer made up, it isn't even an official codename. DDR3 isn't coming until 2008, according to AMD's Roadmap. HyperTransport 3.0 is definately going to be used in Opteron 64 Socket F but highly doubt if its in Socket AM2, as they haven't even used all the speed 2.0 brings (1400MHz x2).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time