AMD Preparing For More Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012
As sad as it is, AMD sounds like dinged up leaky ship that is progressively taking on water. Management is gutting and cannibalizing the insides of the ship just to keep it floating.

I'm going to assume they are cutting out several of the people who aren't pulling their weight for their cost for the most part, and keeping those who are doing well(like the group of coders who pushed out 12.11)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
well...this is one rason why i will not purchse anything AMD....before you know it there will not be any customer support because they can't afford to keep people on the payroll....this is very sad...nvidia and intel all the way, bitches :)

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
It seems to me that AMD is so far off the pace in cpu's that their only hope is if one of the next generation of consoles use AMD fusion processors as it's main chip then maybe we'd have AMD optimized game code - put AMD back in the game. I doubt it would make a differece but a man can wish.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
[citation][nom]someoneelse[/nom]It seems to me that AMD is so far off the pace in cpu's that their only hope is if one of the next generation of consoles use AMD fusion processors as it's main chip then maybe we'd have AMD optimized game code - put AMD back in the game. I doubt it would make a differece but a man can wish.[/citation]

Of course then they'd probably bail on PCs alltogether, or Nintendo buy them

AMD isgoing to be a big winner after the next of apu get down below 80 watts.

picture a core 2 Quad at 4 ghz or 1st gen i7 with with 6770 intergrated
its coming sooner than later.

The hawell die shrink is uninteresting to me cause my pc is large and I don`t mind the juice but I feel the intel intergrated gpu seriosly lack in performance is greater than the amd cpu lack in performance and as hd everything keeps stepping forward not today but in 2 years amd will come about

I run intel but intergrated gpu they have sucks

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Too many missteps with the with their latest CPUs has really cost them unfortuneatly. While the video card side of the house seems to still be doing well, the CPU line is lackluster. Rather problematic in the desktop/server segment as it leaves no real challenger to Intel which could cause the prices of processors in both the desktop and server segments to rise. One has to hope that somehow they'll return to form, but it doesn't look good right now.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
This is the same mentality and logic that killed Hostess as far as I can tell. But, it's how "business minded" management runs things. Give themselves big pay raises, and cut your staff. Then wonder, gee how come we can't come out with anything or make anything worthwhile. I think it's high time we take these CEO's that keep running companies into the ground. Try them for fraud and high treason, and throw them to the wolves, or the people who use to work for the company or buy their products and see how long they live.

If I had the chance I would immediately fire the majority of the VP and other management staff in that company then overhaul it. AMD needs for a time hire a third party to asst in driver development and to change over as much of it cpu/apu manufacturing to TSMC.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Of course then they'd probably bail on PCs alltogether, or Nintendo buy them[/citation]

Nintendo buy AMD? One, Nintendo is a dying company and is bleeding money. AMD actually has a better chance of survival than Nintendo. In both cases you want to short these companies unless rumours of takeovers start to happen.

JJ1217

Honorable
The only reason why I am kind of wary about buying one of their HD 8000's later this year/early next year is because of all these layoffs. Kind of makes me scared how AMD users will be left in the dust for their warranty and what not, driver support, etc.

I hope they get it together. Hopefully they can pull quite a bit of cash from the next gen consoles.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Granted I do not consider myself a businessman, so what the hell do I know about running a business... BUT....

They should just hurry up, make the cuts they need, and then get their employees back to making the best products they can make. Employees who are constantly worried about losing their jobs aren't going to make outstanding products.

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I can't stand some things people say.
First of all noone is going to buy amd. Their gpu division might get sold, their patents on cpus or gpus or everything else that they have innovated might also get sold but NOT amd. who will buy a cpu manufacturer who cannot sell their x86 license. If a company wants to buy AMD then that company has to get the name of AMD for the x86 license to be active.
Secondly, emirates has a % of amd, they have money to spend and invest and amd has potential.
i can't continue i got to shit, c ya

[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]What ? NO , Come on , stop that , the FX 8350 is good , just bought one last week , come on AMD[/citation]

In this market, "good" just doesn't cut it. They need "excellent". The new FX series barley puts it at or above Sandy Bridge, Intels previous gen part.

They need to make money and to make money they need a product that can sell not only well to consumers but also in the big money markets like servers where they charge much more than $250 for a CPU.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]If I had the chance I would immediately fire the majority of the VP and other management staff in that company then overhaul it. AMD needs for a time hire a third party to asst in driver development and to change over as much of it cpu/apu manufacturing to TSMC.[/citation]

The problem I see with TSMC manufacturing is that TSMC already does it for NVidia and AMDs GPUs. They don't have the best silicone either. Remember the limited availability of both the HD7970/7950 and GTX680?

As well AMD has no control over the manufacturing side of it so if the process sucks and yields suck, they get the short end of that stick.

I still think its a mistake for AMD to have spun its fabrication side off since they lose control over their product beyond the design.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Awhile back there was an article on here saying that Apple was planning on moving away from Intel for it's computers. Given how cheap it would be for them, I bet Apple will buy AMD and start designing new processors, working from AMD's existing designs. I say this only because the only way they could compete with Intel in the PC landscape is by reviving AMD and using their existing tech-base. I'm no big fan of Apple, but they did a considerably good job modifying ARM processors for their A6 chip. And besides, AMD already has a lead with graphics performance in it's APUs, even if their raw CPU performance falls short.

[citation][nom]guvnaguy[/nom]Awhile back there was an article on here saying that Apple was planning on moving away from Intel for it's computers. Given how cheap it would be for them, I bet Apple will buy AMD and start designing new processors, working from AMD's existing designs. I say this only because the only way they could compete with Intel in the PC landscape is by reviving AMD and using their existing tech-base. I'm no big fan of Apple, but they did a considerably good job modifying ARM processors for their A6 chip. And besides, AMD already has a lead with graphics performance in it's APUs, even if their raw CPU performance falls short.[/citation]

AMD wont be sold to someone like Apple who would only use the designs for their products. AMD needs to be what they are to help compete with Intel.

[citation][nom]ipwn3r456[/nom]AMD is actually doing pretty well right now... Their GPU's are great for the price, CPUs are doing better now. Why AMD have to do this?[/citation]

Because they are bleeding money. They haven't had a winnig design CPU wise and the HD7 series is the firt GPU design that truly has an edge on NVidia. They are not able to make money thus they need to make cuts to cut areas of losses.

Just like Ford, for example. When they were doing bad, they started making cuts by selling off assets that didn't make them money (like Aston Martin etc) and then restructured and started to pull from their superior European line of cars (2012 Focus, Fiesta and now the 2013 Fusion).

AMD will survive. Problem I see I that the current CEO will lead them from a competitive company (vs Intel) to a more low end solution instead. Without AMD, I don't think Intel will have the need to innovate.

G

I hope the management really know what they are doing. It would be a real pity if AMD were to sink under - cause this will mean that Intel will be the sole producer of desktop CPU. Even though most people would say that AMD cannot catch-up with INTEL anytime soon, the demise of AMD (if it happens) would not be good for consumers like us. It is never good to be stuck with only 1 supplier.

Though I'm currently using an INTEL CPU in my desktop, I've used AMD CPUs before & they were value-for-money. Hope they get out of this rut soon...

morstern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
AMD is doing really really bad. https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:AMD

Maybe Nvidia could see some value in the purchase of AMD... hopefully get the ATI tech... but I think would be forced to cut ATI because of possible Monopoly in the discreate graphics area.

I just think AMDs tech fell too far behind and not sure if anything/one could bring it back up at this point.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
For alot of us the current techs that we have in our PCs are good enough for everyday use. I have the AMD Phenom II 955 BE quad core with 16 gigs of ram. I will be adding a SSD to speed things up.

I upgraded my video card from HD 4850 to the HD 6950 a few months ago and it's been running great.

Until AMD really have something that "knocks our socks off" like they did with the Thunderbird series years ago and our desire need to upgrade it's a losing battle with today's economy.

I don't want to see AMD go out of business which is going to be bad news for all of us. AMD will just cut the excess fat just to stay alive until the economy gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.