AMD Prepping Triple, Quad Core Mobile CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hopefully this will help AMD compete in the mobile space, where it has always struggled. As long as they can keep the thermals and power usage down, of course.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Horray for competition!

If mobile AMD processors are able to actually tack on extra half an hour on battery life...this may push consumers to actually be steered towards AMD mobile processors (instead of the market dominated Intel processors).

Upendra09

Distinguished
Intel actually has i7s and core 2 quads for many laptops it's about time for AMD

AMD really can benefit from this if they can help extend battery life compared to the core 2 quad

now they just need a netbook segment and they can kick intel out

G

this is what ive been waiting for. those new core i3 and i5 in my opinion are nothing compared to these true multi core solutions. now couple these with the mobility 5000 series and you have a truly kick ass gaming pc.

CrashOverride90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
This would be amazing to see! I currently own a triple core Phenom (720 BE). Totally love the desktop triple core.

If AMD ships out triple core mobile processors which can improve battery life by an hour I will say bye bye to my current intel laptop!!!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... have somebody done some crazy stuff, like CPU OC in laptops? My Aspire's 8530G CPU runs @ 3300Mhz... when plugged in of course... have gone til 3500Mhz, but that waz unstable... K10STAT dues wonders...

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Well, I've done minor OCs (2.2 to 2.31ghz) with my old 130nm K8 lappy. unfortunately most laptops are so locked down that just managing to control clockspeed is an achievement and stability goes away quick. To be honest, I'd want to know that my laptop's overheat protection is working well before even trying ANY OC, but luckily my laptop is so old, that I'd shrug it off if I blew it up.

Now the idea of AMD bringing affordable quad core laptops to the market is pretty cool, but what I'm really interested in is AMD's 3rd gen Ultrathin platform.With Intel you have a choice between powerless netbooks, and expensive ultrathins that have neutered MHD4500 graphics. AMD's current (2nd gen) ultrathin can punch in at $500 with decent power (1.6ghz K8 X2) and graphics that can bitch anything but Ion. The third gen should switch that 65nm K8 out for a faster and much more effecient 45nm K10.5, dramatically increasing battery life, while hopefully the new 8 series chipset IGP will increase AMD's lead over Intel with IGPs. (remember, intel's highest clocked desktop IGP is competitive with the 3200, the mobiles are all 20% OR MORE slower)

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Well, I've done minor OCs (2.2 to 2.31ghz) with my old 130nm K8 lappy. unfortunately most laptops are so locked down that just managing to control clockspeed is an achievement and stability goes away quick. To be honest, I'd want to know that my laptop's overheat protection is working well before even trying ANY OC, but luckily my laptop is so old, that I'd shrug it off if I blew it up.

Now the idea of AMD bringing affordable quad core laptops to the market is pretty cool, but what I'm really interested in is AMD's 3rd gen Ultrathin platform.With Intel you have a choice between powerless netbooks, and expensive ultrathins that have neutered MHD4500 graphics. AMD's current (2nd gen) ultrathin can punch in at $500 with decent power (1.6ghz K8 X2) and graphics that can bitch anything but Ion. The third gen should switch that 65nm K8 out for a faster and much more effecient 45nm K10.5, dramatically increasing battery life, while hopefully the new 8 series chipset IGP will increase AMD's lead over Intel with IGPs. (remember, intel's highest clocked desktop IGP is competitive with the 3200, the mobiles are all 20% OR MORE slower)

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
"Grim poses that triple core chips sit in a unique spot of performing better than dual-core processors while not incurring the power penalty of having four cores."

Orly?!? lol how did he ever come to that logic. honestly, triple-core CPUs, imo, are just a way to make money off of the worthless quad-core's that didnt pass the test, albeit they are cheaper. sorry, i just had to comment on capt. obvious's statement

Hope they can work on 32nm so they can *really* improve their watt/h ratio on the same performance class. I have my doubts about 45nm and 3-4 cores being "watt/h friendly", guess gonna need the benchies when they come out. And, in the same note, I wanna see a Radeon 5xxx with a Phenom on the same package already, come on AMD! Tease us a little at least! xD!

Cheers!

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I think most people are forgetting that amd has yet to integrate high k metal gates into their processors. Which was the main feature that made the core 2's fast and efficient besides the die shrink.

I'm impressed that amd is able to do so much with out switching to that technology. I figure amd will be in a hell of good position when they do decide to make this transition. Hopefully this happens on the 32nm process.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]hmmm... that picture shows 2 mobile dual-cores slapped together.[/citation]
Too bad they're out of your price range. =/ (I lol'd)

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]hmmm... that picture shows 2 mobile dual-cores slapped together.[/citation]
... and don't care how fast they are... i rather take it slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.