News AMD pushes forward with its Radeon stack open-sourcing plans — after being prodded by Tiny Corp

Zaranthos

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Excellent.

I'm actually keeping an eye on these news, because I want to fully migrate from Windows, but there's a few things I need AMD to work on so I can fully move without caring.

Regards.
A lot of people would be happy to leave Windows behind. Gaming performance, simplicity of setup, and other Linux obstacles have held many people back thus far. But the gap has been closing for a long time now and Linux does tend to seem more viable than ever. For a lot of people that few percent difference in performance numbers or little user friendly details hold people back. It's probably at the point where if I actually put the effort into Linux I'd find I kind of hate enough stuff about Windows to make the switch.

Reactions: purple_dragon
A lot of people would be happy to leave Windows behind. Gaming performance, simplicity of setup, and other Linux obstacles have held many people back thus far. But the gap has been closing for a long time now and Linux does tend to seem more viable than ever. For a lot of people that few percent difference in performance numbers or little user friendly details hold people back. It's probably at the point where if I actually put the effort into Linux I'd find I kind of hate enough stuff about Windows to make the switch.
Gaming performance? You like your games running slower in Windows? xD

Just look at the plenty comparisons between the Steam deck and the Ally when running the same games and their 1% lows. Even at 15W mode, it beats in many titles the Ally at >30W. Bananas. Proton is at a point where it's just amazing. One asterisk and the one I alluded to, is the driver maturity and its surrounding tools. That I can accept it's behind, but not as far as it was a while ago.

Simplicity of setup... I don't know what you mean there, but installing Linux nowadays (Ubuntu, Suse, Debian, Mint and SteamOS) are super easy and with a lot of help already built in and no BS. Well, a little bit, but acceptable. Each distro does it slightly differently, but I'd be moving into either Mint or SeamOS.

As a daily use OS, and this is using the Steam Deck as a normal PC with the "desktop mode", I just see nothing that is harder or more complicated for the average user. Different, sure, but not harder or more intrincate. In fact, I find some usability things (they bundle KDE with SteamOS) are really good and coherent, unlike in Windows. Hell, I'd even say the UI is WAY more polished in KDE Plasma than Windows 10/11.

Regards.

Reactions: ezst036

hannibal

Distinguished
The speed is not the problem for Linux… it is about not working at all from times to times or working badly. Windows emulation is still emulation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
Best option would be native Linux programs… but Linux environment is so fragmented that normal user does not even know how to instal programs or drivers… if there even are program or drivers. Linux still has long way to go.
I hope better future for Linux, but in its current stage… only computer nerds like me really can use Linux and some stable productivity programs… still no Linux versions. There are alternatives… but that is not the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bolweval

Giroro

Splendid
AMD hasn't even gotten ROCm to a point where it's particularly useful on windows - which I imagine would be a pretty important priority for them, given the AI fad .... so I don't know what's going on over there.

At some point AMD needs to put the time into improving their own ecosystem, instead of just publishing documentation (eventually) and hoping random people get annoyed enough to do their development for free.

Reactions: 35below0