Question Amd radeon gpu or more specifically RX 6800 XT

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
Hello everyone. After a careful thought about current poor pricing for new generation of gpu..

I've pretty much lean towards AMD this time as these are the only choice that sold in my region at the equivalent of 560 usd. Even a 4070 is more expensive by at least another 50 usd... So what i want to ask is.. How is the current state of amd gpu driver?

Is it as poor as few years ago or amd has made considerable stride towards improvement and more specifically is anyone here using Rx 6800 XT? If you guys don't mind please share your user experience here. Your inputs are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
I'm using Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6800 XT OC edition for nearly a year now. No problems with drivers at all. Although I mainly play lot of DX9 game with mods since then cause' new games are boring & over hyped.

I use to have an RX 5700 XT but the power efficiency compared to RDNA2 is significant, RX 6800 XT card is whisper quite as well.

Reactions: PEnns
I agree with Hotrod2go. I've had my RX 6800 XT since the beginning of 2022 and it's been perfect. I've played many games with it like GTAV, Far Cry 6, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Mortal Kombat 11 and Cyberpunk 2077. Also, like Hotrod2go, I had no driver issues with my RX 5700 XT either.

There's a really good video from Vex that talks about his experience switching from GeForce to Radeon. It's his first time ever using a Radeon card and he talks about his experiences with an RX 6700. It's pretty entertaining in the beginning because he addresses all of the BS that ignorant nVidia owners have stuck in their heads:

As Vex says, just be sure that when you switch over to use DDU. He links to a tutorial video by Ancient Gameplays (the resident YouTube Radeon expert) which makes using DDU easy. Here's that video:

I guarantee that you'll love the RX 6800 XT as much as I do.

When you get the new amd card, remove your previous gpu, use ddu to remove all nvidia drivers then install the latest drivers from amd.com.

Myself I’m using a 6700xt, previously owned a 5700xt. Drivers seem fine. A friend recently went from a 3090 to a 7900xtx and seems happy with it also. I think your biggest thing will just be learning where all the options are and what everything does, and just general layout. But my cards have treated me well and no major driver issues.

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
I'm using Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6800 XT OC edition for nearly a year now. No problems with drivers at all. Although I mainly play lot of DX9 game with mods since then cause' new games are boring & over hyped.

I use to have an RX 5700 XT but the power efficiency compared to RDNA2 is significant, RX 6800 XT card is whisper quite as well.
You bought such powerful gpu to mainly play dx9 games? That's insane lol.

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
I agree with Hotrod2go. I've had my RX 6800 XT since the beginning of 2022 and it's been perfect. I've played many games with it like GTAV, Far Cry 6, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Mortal Kombat 11 and Cyberpunk 2077. Also, like Hotrod2go, I had no driver issues with my RX 5700 XT either.

There's a really good video from Vex that talks about his experience switching from GeForce to Radeon. It's his first time ever using a Radeon card and he talks about his experiences with an RX 6700. It's pretty entertaining in the beginning because he addresses all of the BS that ignorant nVidia owners have stuck in their heads:

As Vex says, just be sure that when you switch over to use DDU. He links to a tutorial video by Ancient Gameplays (the resident YouTube Radeon expert) which makes using DDU easy. Here's that video:

I guarantee that you'll love the RX 6800 XT as much as I do.
I wonder if DDU is a must? I thought only need to uninstall just like any other applications..

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
When you get the new amd card, remove your previous gpu, use ddu to remove all nvidia drivers then install the latest drivers from amd.com.

Myself I’m using a 6700xt, previously owned a 5700xt. Drivers seem fine. A friend recently went from a 3090 to a 7900xtx and seems happy with it also. I think your biggest thing will just be learning where all the options are and what everything does, and just general layout. But my cards have treated me well and no major driver issues.
It's great to hear some positive feedbacks from radeon user... Is DDU a must before swapping a new gpu?

I wonder if DDU is a must? I thought only need to uninstall just like any other applications..
Trust me, it's a MUST. It doesn't matter if it's Radeon, GeForce, Arc, new drivers or updating drivers, you have to have a foolproof way of removing the old ones and a simple uninstall doesn't do it, even if you choose "factory reset" in the new driver package.

After all, if uninstalling normally worked, nobody would've bothered spending the time to code a program like DDU, you wouldn't have a respected tech website like Guru3D hosting it and you wouldn't have every tech expert in the world telling you to use it if you want to avoid problems.

A great YouTube tech channel called Ancient Gameplays gives a fantastic tutorial on how to use it:

It may not be a must, but I’d do it anyway to avoid issues. It really helps clean up the old drivers. If you don’t use it sometimes you might have strange performance issues due to leftover drivers from nvidia. Just go ahead and use it. It doesn’t take very long really.

Here are your steps

1. Download ddu and keep a copy
2. Remove previous gpu from case
3. Dust things out and general cleanup while your in there. Not a must but good time to do it.
4. Physically install new gpu.
5. Run ddu and remove old drivers.
6. Go to amd.com and download and install the latest drivers.

I’d recommend going on YouTube as well to check some videos on the way to set up your options. Once you do it a few times you’ll start finding your way but it’s definitely a bit of a change if coming from an nvidia card as far as layout etc.

Reactions: PEnns and ilukey77

BarderoJ

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
Hello everyone. After a careful thought about current poor pricing for new generation of gpu..

I've pretty much lean towards AMD this time as these are the only choice that sold in my region at the equivalent of 560 usd. Even a 4070 is more expensive by at least another 50 usd... So what i want to ask is.. How is the current state of amd gpu driver?

Is it as poor as few years ago or amd has made considerable stride towards improvement and more specifically is anyone here using Rx 6800 XT? If you guys don't mind please share your user experience here. Your inputs are appreciated.
I was using 6800xt for about a month, had to change it cuz of crappy unit. the only problem i had with drivers - drivers were crashing with hardware acceleration enabled in edge, i turned it off and everything worked perfectly fine

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Haven’t experienced that issue. Only issue i had was a 6600xt I had a year or two ago was defective from the store, which could happen to nvidia or Intel cards also. Once I swapped it for another card(another 6600xt at the time), it was happy. Perhaps I should have kept the good card, but I sold it during the mining times.

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
Haven’t experienced that issue. Only issue i had was a 6600xt I had a year or two ago was defective from the store, which could happen to nvidia or Intel cards also. Once I swapped it for another card(another 6600xt at the time), it was happy. Perhaps I should have kept the good card, but I sold it during the mining times.
So what do you use now?

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
I was using 6800xt for about a month, had to change it cuz of crappy unit. the only problem i had with drivers - drivers were crashing with hardware acceleration enabled in edge, i turned it off and everything worked perfectly fine
Always the drivers have problem....

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
It may not be a must, but I’d do it anyway to avoid issues. It really helps clean up the old drivers. If you don’t use it sometimes you might have strange performance issues due to leftover drivers from nvidia. Just go ahead and use it. It doesn’t take very long really.

Here are your steps

1. Download ddu and keep a copy
2. Remove previous gpu from case
3. Dust things out and general cleanup while your in there. Not a must but good time to do it.
4. Physically install new gpu.
5. Run ddu and remove old drivers.
6. Go to amd.com and download and install the latest drivers.

I’d recommend going on YouTube as well to check some videos on the way to set up your options. Once you do it a few times you’ll start finding your way but it’s definitely a bit of a change if coming from an nvidia card as far as layout etc.
Thanks for your suggestion... Now i began to wonder if spending another 260 usd to get 4070 ti..

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
Trust me, it's a MUST. It doesn't matter if it's Radeon, GeForce, Arc, new drivers or updating drivers, you have to have a foolproof way of removing the old ones and a simple uninstall doesn't do it, even if you choose "factory reset" in the new driver package.

After all, if uninstalling normally worked, nobody would've bothered spending the time to code a program like DDU, you wouldn't have a respected tech website like Guru3D hosting it and you wouldn't have every tech expert in the world telling you to use it if you want to avoid problems.

A great YouTube tech channel called Ancient Gameplays gives a fantastic tutorial on how to use it:
Thank you for your input... I'm still alittle bit hesitant to pull the trigger lol..

Thank you for your input... I'm still alittle bit hesitant to pull the trigger lol..
I don't blame you. Whichever direction you take, it's not a cheap item. However, I can tell you that if you do take the Radeon path, you'll be glad you did as you'll see that they work just fine and you won't be afraid to save more money in the future. You'll have the advantage of experience.

Just remember what Vex said in that video, how he was expecting it to be terrible but he actually wanted to keep using it now that he'd been exposed to Radeon ownership.

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
I don't blame you. Whichever direction you take, it's not a cheap item. However, I can tell you that if you do take the Radeon path, you'll be glad you did as you'll see that they work just fine and you won't be afraid to save more money in the future. You'll have the advantage of experience.

Just remember what Vex said in that video, how he was expecting it to be terrible but he actually wanted to keep using it now that he'd been exposed to Radeon ownership.
Too bad. I was late. When i finally pull the trigger on 6800XT yesterday the shop told me today that it was out of stock. So my next option if i want to still go amd are these...

Powercolor red devil rx 6950XT

Gigabyte gaming oc rx 6900XT

I wonder which is the better option.. Both cards can be had for around 700 usd. The issue with the powercolor card is the recommended psu is 950w. While mine is just short of 100w capacity....

Too bad. I was late. When i finally pull the trigger on 6800XT yesterday the shop told me today that it was out of stock. So my next option if i want to still go amd are these...

Powercolor red devil rx 6950XT

Gigabyte gaming oc rx 6900XT

I wonder which is the better option.. Both cards can be had for around 700 usd. The issue with the powercolor card is the recommended psu is 950w. While mine is just short of 100w capacity....
Well, there's good news and bad news in this situation. I'll start with the bad news because I prefer to end on a positive.

Bad News: Under no circumstances should you install a card with a PSU that is 100W shy of what is recommended. Even if the card technically works with your PSU, you'll be seriously reducing the PSU's lifespan.

Good News: The RX 6950 XT is only 8% faster than the RX 6900 XT and has no VRAM advantage. This means that you'd be pretty hard-pressed to tell them apart.

I'm going to assume that the Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming OC is the cheaper card anyway so just take that one. It'll be faster than the RX 6800 XT anyway.

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
Well, there's good news and bad news in this situation. I'll start with the bad news because I prefer to end on a positive.

Bad News: Under no circumstances should you install a card with a PSU that is 100W shy of what is recommended. Even if the card technically works with your PSU, you'll be seriously reducing the PSU's lifespan.

Good News: The RX 6950 XT is only 8% faster than the RX 6900 XT and has no VRAM advantage. This means that you'd be pretty hard-pressed to tell them apart.

I'm going to assume that the Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming OC is the cheaper card anyway so just take that one. It'll be faster than the RX 6800 XT anyway.
The funny thing is the gigabyte card only cheaper by around 10 usd lol... But i agree with you.. Maybe i just shouldn't take risk with my old psu since it's been more than 5 years...

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
If the 6900xt is a gigabyte I’d get the other card. Seems like I recently saw something saying pcbs were cracking on some of their cards and they were trying to blame users and not honor the warranty.
I see... Now amazon has good deal with 7900 xt... But the thing is... The card will cost me around 850 usd after shipping since i live outside US.. Would you recommend someone to buy from amazon from outside US?

TRENDING THREADS