Question Amd radeon gpu or more specifically RX 6800 XT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I’m from the USA so that’s the only experience I have with Amazon. I’d say the other thing you may have is warranty/returns in case of issues with your card. So I’d say that I defer to someone else but it sounds like a personal decision based on cost and how much risk you’d be taking.

phenomk90

Honorable
Sep 29, 2018
I’m from the USA so that’s the only experience I have with Amazon. I’d say the other thing you may have is warranty/returns in case of issues with your card. So I’d say that I defer to someone else but it sounds like a personal decision based on cost and how much risk you’d be taking.
I see.. Did you ever had to claim warranty with your previous purchasing through amazon? How was your experience with their customer service?

I’ve not done that large of a purchase with Amazon. Here in some areas there’s a store called microcenter. Thankfully I live within about a 40 minute drive of one. It’s basically one large computer store with all types of computers, parts etc and in many cases they are comparable to online pricing. So personally I’d likely go there if making a purchase that large.

Hello everyone. After a careful thought about current poor pricing for new generation of gpu..

I've pretty much lean towards AMD this time as these are the only choice that sold in my region at the equivalent of 560 usd. Even a 4070 is more expensive by at least another 50 usd... So what i want to ask is.. How is the current state of amd gpu driver?
Radeon drivers have never been horrible and right now they're at least as solid as GeForce drivers. This idea that Radeon drivers are terrible stems from people not knowing how to properly switch driver packages from GeForce to Radeon. Of course, users won't blame their own lack of know-how so they blame the drivers. I remember when people were going nuts about the RX 5700 drivers and yet, somehow, no reviewers were able to duplicate the problem. Steve Walton personally told me that he bought EVERY model of RX 5700 XT on the market in his attempt to discover the problem, yet they all worked just fine. Steve Burke of Gamers Nexus also has been on-record as saying that he couldn't find any problems either. Clearly, this was the result of people not knowing what they're doing. I personally had a defective RX 5700 XT card (first defective video card I ever owned), but the drivers were fine because when I sent the card to XFX for RMA, I popped in a Sapphire R9 Fury with the same driver package I was using and it was perfectly fine as was the replacement card. I never changed driver packages between the defective RX 5700 XT, the R9 Fury and the replacement RX 5700 XT.

Here's the YouTuber known as Vex making fun of your fears (with his first Radeon card, ever):

I've owned exclusively Radeon cards since the HD 4870 (2008). If the drivers were bad, do you really think that I'd have kept using them? (The answer is "not a chance!"). Here's some of my video card collection, five cards are missing from the picture (2x HD 4870, 1xHD 5870, 1xHD 7970, 1xRX 6500 XT):
almost-full-video-card-collection-jpg.311880

The two in the bottom left are the GeForce cards that I owned before I switched to Radeon and never looked back. The worst driver problem that I ever experienced was an annoying screen scaling bug that affected my R9 Furies (the fix was just to toggle GPU scaling) and that went away on its own.

Here is the proper way to switch from GeForce to Radeon drivers:
Is it as poor as few years ago or amd has made considerable stride towards improvement and more specifically is anyone here using Rx 6800 XT? If you guys don't mind please share your user experience here. Your inputs are appreciated.
This question is just as invalid as the last one because the drivers have worked perfectly for me except for that scaling bug in 2017. I haven't seen any driver problems whatsoever in the past five years and as a a matter of fact, the card that I used since early 2022 was the RX 6800 XT that you can see in the top-left corner of my collection picture. I recently upgraded to the ASRock RX 7900 XTX in the top-right corner.
  • I had a fantastic experience with my HD 4870 so I bought another and then bought two HD 7970s.
  • I had a fantastic experience with my HD 7970s so I bought an R9 Fury (and then a second R9 Fury).
  • I had a fantastic experience with my R9 Furies so I bought an RX 5700 XT.
  • I had a fantastic experience with my RX 5700 XT so I bought an RX 6800 XT.
  • I had a fantastic experience with my RX 6800 XT so I bought an RX 7900 XTX.
That RX 7900 XTX cost me $1,168CAD which is a good deal, but also a huge chunk of change, not an amount of money that I'd spend on a video card unless I was 100% confident in the product.

If you just do what that video tells you, you'll feel like a fool for spending so much on GeForce cards for so long.

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
radeon drivers have never been horrible and right now they're at least as solid as GeForce drivers. This idea that Radeon drivers are terrible stems from people not knowing how to properly switch driver packages from GeForce to Radeon.
It is so frustrating for me to hear the argument that Radeon drivers are terrible because of the BS that Nvidia is doing with their pricing. I think a lot more people would buy AMD if there wasn't a stigma that their drivers were terrible.

I’ve not done that large of a purchase with Amazon. Here in some areas there’s a store called microcenter. Thankfully I live within about a 40 minute drive of one. It’s basically one large computer store with all types of computers, parts etc and in many cases they are comparable to online pricing. So personally I’d likely go there if making a purchase that large.
Oh hell yeah! Microcenter >>>>>> Amazon. I refuse to deal with Amazon. Brick and mortar stores like Microcenter or Canada Computers are always best. The only online tech e-tailer that I've bought anything from in the past five years is Newegg.