AMD Radeon HD 7850 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

norksinc

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I was looking on the futurmark website which compares graphics cards and it said that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 was a bit better than the AMD Radeon HD 7850. Is this true or is the AMD Radeon HD 7850 better?

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
lol this I can assure you any of our mid range cards from this generation up to the 3rd last generation, will give you blasting performance if your comping from

pentium 4 with nvidia fx 5100 128mb vram ( a friend of mine came from this all he play was warcraft 3 tft) until he decided to game on bf3 and looks dumbfounded (we normally play sports when together or warcraft3)

OT

if your getting a amd I suggest sapphire so far sapphire cards has been giving me satisfying results "7850"

and if your going with the nvidia I say asus but I'm being geared toward the msi

for the gtx 480

norksinc

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Wow I didn't expect that many replies! :eek: Well I am building my first computer. I want it to be able to play games and record them on atleast high settings although Ultra would be nice. I'm not sure if the PSU i picked is any good but here it is if that helps any and the CPU fan i am buying.

APEVIA JAVA ATX-JV650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148041

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

I don't know if these would work well enough for the GTX 480. I live in a state in the U.S. where when it's winter it get's really cold and when it's summer it get's REALLY hot. So the heat wouldn't be a problem in the winter but the summer it might get a little hot.

G

I normally dont give much care if a psu is an off brand as long as its quality.I bought a rosewill 1300 watt lighning and its as good as any psu on the market.However that psu you listed i wouldnt even consider putting in my pc.Even a single gtx 480 will kill that psu.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I just wanna say i purchased a galaxy gtx 465 last august for 120.00 bucks (new with 3 yr warranty) and i have been very impressed with it. Paired with a 2500k i can play all my games on ultra. In WoW i have never seen my fps go below 55 fps even in the middle of a crowded server, most times its in the 120-140 fps range.

Basically, you dont need to spend much on a video card to get good performance. The gtx 465 got a bad rap at launch because it was too expensive for its performance, not that it was a bad card. I think the refurbished pny 465 on newegg is the best deal on the whole site, for 105.oo bucks. The 465 IS a faster card than the 460, and quite a bit faster than the 192bit 460's they are selling now.

G

I didnt mean to imply it was low end but usually when people are discussing great power supplys i never hear rosewill mentioned.It is always corsair,enermax,silverstone ect..

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

If anything you are a troll. 30 FPS is my MINIMUM FPS, which is actually what tomshardware sets as a baseline for something being "playable". Go read all the reviews, if a video cards minimum FPS at a given resolution stays at 30 or above they will suggest that card as playable.

I dont play any of those other games, i said games that i do play i can play them all at ultra.

My point here is, you dont need to spend a ton of money on hardware to get a good gaming experience.

first of all,calm down.
you just proved yourself wrong by saying that 30 fps is playable not ultra!but in your earlier post you mentioned that it(gtx 465) can play any thing on ultra.it is the minimum frame rate not ultra frame rate.so please think before you call someone troll.

sunnk

Distinguished
gtx 480

-nice card as compared to the price
-gives better performance then gtx 570 and when overclocked go past the gtx 580
-power consumption is AWFUL!!!
-drivers are good i didnt have any problems with mine nvidia gpu. :D
-hotter card as compared to the others
-littlebit noisy but that doesnt matter.:D

hd 7850

-average performance as compared to the price
-performs like a hd 6950 when overclocked goes upto hd 6970
-power consumption is very nice
-driver are bit buggy but will be fixed as the times goes on but i didnt have any problem with my amd gpu
-not hotter card as compared to the others
-comfortable noise

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19

G

Or you can do like me and get th coolest and quietest running gtx 480's on the planet.I will soon be sli'ing the gigabyte super overclocked and galaxy overclocked edition.Even in SLI i wont hit 70 celcius.I dont even consider the reference card being loud.I own an evga superclocked and even at 100% its not loud at all.Power consumption is really the only issue.Heat shouldnt be a concern since they can easily handle 100 celcius they were just made to run hot.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

How you have not been banned from these forums permanently is a mystery, you offer poor advice and mostly troll people.

This will be my last reply to you, good day sir.

G

I think he meant he can play on ultra settings and get playable framerates..

oh really?are you kidding me?not trying to show off but i get a lot of best answers selected and thanking posts.you do sound like a noob who keeps on saying that "yes i can play minecraft on max settings at 640x480 with 30 fps." you are simply going mad because you can't prove your point.
this was my last reply to you.it feels bad to see ill-mannered people on toms.

he said i can play any game at ultra settings(with 30 fps???? :heink: for a FPS game like BF3,it's hard to play on 30 fps as gameplay becomes choppy).here's guru3d's fps rule-
http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-680-4gb-jetstream-review/12
Frames per second

Gameplay

<30 FPS

very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS

average yet very playable

40-60 FPS

good gameplay

>60 FPS

best possible gameplay

So if a graphics card barely manages less than 30 FPS, then the game is not very playable, we want to avoid that at all cost.
With 30 FPS up-to roughly 40 FPS you'll be very able to play the game with perhaps a tiny stutter at certain graphically intensive parts. Overall a very enjoyable experience. Match the best possible resolution to this result and you'll have the best possible rendering quality versus resolution, hey you want both of them to be as high as possible.
When a graphics card is doing 60 FPS on average or higher then you can rest assured that the game will likely play extremely smoothly at every point in the game, turn on every possible in-game IQ setting.
Over 100 FPS? You either have a MONSTER graphics card or a very old game.

G

I dont know when i had my gtx 460 as long as i stayed above 25 fps i didnt feel any chop. 25 fps in bf 3 was smooth for me atleast from what i remember.ill have to try again see what really is smooth for me

sunnk

Distinguished

well at which resolution?you got 25 fps?my gtx 460 gives me over 40 fps in all games with 2xaa or 4xaa on my 19 inch monitor