AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
As I wrote: this pricing is based on the service/support and the drivers/certifications. The hardware is not 100% the same and a few pro apps are running only on workstation cards. I'm sure, that 99% of all this software is Windows-based.

Linux? Difficult thing. I tested Briscad and Ares CE (both programs are as software not really bad), QCAD and LibreCAD (both aren't professional and they are very limited), Arcad (more or less a toy for consumers) and FreeCAD (horrible and buggy crap). Some of this solutions depends additionally at a special distribution or build. Arcad runs only on SuSe or a Debian-based Linux. This things are so niche...

Under Linux I see no advantage for workstation or consumer cards, but big disadvantages for both. Finally the tested open source drivers are mostly worse than the original drivers from AMD or Nvidia.

If you know good and professional software for Linux and it is worth to test this things, please contact me. I'm also searching for ideas in this direction :)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, I really don't use any workstation-class 3D programs on either. Mostly, I do GPU compute and I'm starting to dip a toe into VR.

I got an OSVR HMD, since it's allegedly the only to work on Linux, but I've yet to try that.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the advice, but I enjoy reading about even tech products I have no immediate need to buy. I do know a couple CAD users, so it's not impossible that I might be in a position to advise hardware purchases for them. Mostly, I just enjoy reading about tech.

I appreciate your reviews. Keep 'em coming!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Thx for the flowers ;)

I'm sure and/or hopefully, that we can solve (or have already solved) the translation problems and we are able to move more VGA-related content from my German source directly to the US site without such long delays. I'm now a member of the US team too and will try my best to deliver all what we need in-time. It worked for launches in the past not bad and we simply need to increase the translation output. :)

I'll miss the ol' Fire-Pro(s), but I missed the FireGLs, too. Diamond used to have a neat utility called 'In-Control Tools' with a zoom and pan to die for ...

In the right work flows you can get a lot of mileage from a pro card, even low- to mid-range ones. Save the heavy artillery :) Look forward to the pro card Big Kahuna

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm just looking for a GPU that will run 8 displays at 8k resolution at 120 frames per second and displays that can do that with a 2ms or less black to black time.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're gonna be looking, for a while. Trying to build an aviation-grade combat flight sim, or something?

With quad-Titan XP, you could probably do that with 4k. For the displays, you might have to wait for OLED, though.

ozymankos

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
It is very stupid to use that beautifull workstation with a top notch and new ATI video card(professional one)
with a ...Windows 10 :)))) operating system
use Red Hat or Windows Server please
2008 or 2012 since I have great problems on Azure GPU servers with Windows server 2016 datacenter edition

Status
Not open for further replies.