[SOLVED] AMD Radeon R7 240 upgrade options

Jul 24, 2021
I have a HP Desktop PC with a AMD Radeon R7 240 that I want to upgrade to something with better performance and better multi display setup (eg: multi dvi or HDMI support)

I am wanting a good upgrade option to replace this, mainly something suitable for best option for 2-3 monitor multiple display setup.
Better resolution support the better, I'm not into hardcore gaming so nothing top shelf quite required but I would like something that will cope with a bit of video/photo editing and occasional gaming. I would rather have something that is a bit overkill rather than slow and under powered...
I understand that upgrading the PSU is likely required which is fine...any recommendations also appreciated.

PC Details are as follows...
AMD Radeon R7 240
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
16GB Ram
2AF7 1.04 system board (if this helps)

Any help or advice would really be appreciated...

Solution
I have a HP Desktop PC with a AMD Radeon R7 240 that I want to upgrade to something with better performance and better multi display setup (eg: multi dvi or HDMI support)

I am wanting a good upgrade option to replace this, mainly something suitable for best option for 2-3 monitor multiple display setup.
Better resolution support the better, I'm not into hardcore gaming so nothing top shelf quite required but I would like something that will cope with a bit of video/photo editing and occasional gaming. I would rather have something that is a bit overkill rather than slow and under powered...
I understand that upgrading the PSU is likely required which is fine...any recommendations also appreciated.

AMD Radeon R7 240
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
16GB Ram
2AF7 1.04 system board (if this helps)

Any help or advice would really be appreciated...

Ok a few things:

1. Your 7-year-old 4 core / 4 thread CPU is going to hold you back in gaming and video editing tasks. You can certainly upgrade your GPU all by itself, but there will be multiple scenarios where you struggle to make full use of it due to the slowness of the rest of your PC.
  2. Keep in mind that a new GPU worth buying "that will cope with a bit of video/photo editing and occasional gaming" will not only most likely require a more powerful PSU, it'll also create more heat inside your tower, probably causing both your current CPU and your new GPU to run hot when you game on it.
  3. The GPU that you buy depends a lot on what you expect from it: when you do play games, what types of games do you want to play? What monitor will you be playing them on and at what resolution and graphical settings?
TLDR:

GPUs are expensive right now, but if prices on them were more reasonable, I'd suggest a RTX 2060 if you wanted something cheaper, or a RTX 3060 if you wanted to spend a bit more and " have something that is a bit overkill rather than slow and under powered." Of course, this all assumes that when you game you intend to do so on a 1080p monitor running no faster than 60 Hz.

Solution
Probably the PSU is propriate and not replaceble by a standard ATX psu. Do you post a picture of the label on the psu?

For some edditing and a bit gaming you don't need an expensive 2060 or 3060 Ti that will be bottleknekced by the cpu. GTX 1050 Ti or 1650 D6 are way faster than R7 240 and can handle 3 monitors.