Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
If the price difference is so small compared to the 260X, why would anyone
bother with the 260? Skip a couple of beers and get a 260X. An utterly
unnecessary product IMO, it's just making use of dies that couldn't make the
grade for higher models.

Also, it's sad that we don't see single-slot cards anymore.

Ian.

rdc85

Honorable
I'm agreed with the review,I think in their perspective the 7770 still selling well, there no rush to put 260 out...putting it out at 110~120 will cannibalize the 7770...

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Hmmm... I don't really know where I stand on this one. I suppose I want to see what happens when the market forces of supply and demand start having an effect on the price, otherwise, I think it's a pretty decent card but just TOO close to the 260X which may be the one I'd choose if I were looking for a card in that league. I'm getting my GTX 760 at month-end finally, so this is not going to turn my head or change my plans...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Great review, especially given what it's competing at in the same price range. It's interesting that AMD isn't pushing vendors to differentiate the products a bit more and get rid of the 7770s to allow more room for the R260s to breath. However...
Naturally, discrete graphics cards require a substantial amount of stable power, so XFX sent along its PRO850W 80 PLUS Bronze-certified power supply. This modular PSU employs a single +12 V rail rated for 70 A. XFX claims that this unit provides 850 W of continuous power
Statements like this are what's causing Watt inflation and the myth that you need a dedicated transformer to run a PC. The review itself points out that system wattage is less than a quarter of the max continuous wattage. I think it's a serious disservice to constantly repeat this statement when it's clearly not true. At the very least it should be rewritten a bit.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

I agree - that would be one way AMD could differentiate with some of these models is to have one or two designed to be single-slot and/or low profile. That would add some reason for this insanity.

I agree with the article. At the right price, this could be a real sweet-spot card. At these prices, it makes more sense to either move up, or settle for less, depending on budget.
I definitely agree with ddpruitt about the PSU boilerplate in this article. A system with this card would run quite nicely on a 380W Earthwatts or Seasonic G360. There's certainly nothing wrong with maintaining a testbench containing an oversized monster of a PSU, but I'd like to see articles like this call out specific PSU suggestions so people know what they need for the card under review. I don't think a power-usage graph is enough for newbs who may not realize there aren't other usage cases where the card needs more.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
This card makes sense to me. It replaces the 7770 for the R series. it performes a little faster just like the r260x replaces the 7790 and performes a little faster. however they priced it higher at the moment to let the vendors sell off the old packaging.

InvalidError

Titan
Dissipating 80W in a single slot would be quite a challenge. With the last single-slot GPU I had, I ended up putting an IO slot exhaust blower in the next slot because the GPU's fan would get too loud on its own.There isn't much point in insisting on a single-slot GPU if it ends up being unbearably loud.

kenh536

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Really toms.... pop up ads for your articles that take up a massive portion of the page and follow you down AND ARE UNCLOSABLE?! Way too intrusive, NOT COOL.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
The 7790 hardware supports true audio or whatever it's called as well. AMD disables it's support for it in the driver. That'll change probably I don't think they are that cynical yet.. Fixed sorry!!

InvalidError

Titan

They have to give people reasons to pay the $10-50 extra to upsale from HD77xx to R7-260(X) so I doubt they will change their mind about the software disable. Many AMD CPUs, GPUs and APUs are artificially fused off or otherwise locked to lower specs simply to meet demand for lower cost bins.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
How much merit can be given to an article on a card without much merit? There should've, at least, been comparisons to mid-range cards in the performance charts and analysis.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
once the 7770 sku's are gone from the channel and the r260 is in place driver 16.02 will turn on true audio or mantle to spur the useless crossfire sales..

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Sorry, can't agree there. Many cards in the past managed this perfectly well, eg. the Zotac 9800GT AMP
was a single-slot, but not loud at all (peak power consumption delta over idle = 91W). Fact is, companies
just don't bother designing single-slot coolers anymore. Think how much the tech has advanced since the
days of the 9800GT; there's no reason why modern cards with the same or lower power envelope couldn't
be fitted with 1-slot cooling setups, but nobody designs them now, and mbds have adjusted to assume the
use of 2-slot cards anyway.

That's not to say all 1-slot cards are equal. Some 1-slot cooler designs were terrible, eg. the XFX 8800GT.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.