AMD Radeon R9 200 Series MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whats your card?

Hugoagogo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
R9 290 reference sapphire battlefield 4 edition running updated bios cooled via zalman 315 watercooler fitted via kraken unit/heatsinks all fitted. Gpuz reports all temps well below the norm/voltages all fine at point of issue. Blackscreens more regular after installing 14.12. Sharing my experience on here after reading of countless fixes all of which have failed to stop the issue.

ah, lol i hate the 290 cards.. they run freaking hot and uses a lot of power

i havent heard abt blackscreens issue for a 14.12 .... get your gpu memory checked

Did it do it before custom cooling?

Are you cooling the memory chips? (those usually don't have sensors)

Hugoagogo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Yeah it was stuttering and black screening on its standard cooling, 95c ,I know it says itll run all day long at that but I wasn't happy with those temps so that's why I went watercooling in the hope itd help. I have alloy heatsinks on every chip module with heatpads between them all.I have no issues with any temps as I say gpuz is showing no unusual temperatures when the blackscreen issue arises. My vrm temps are all below 50 during gaming.
Thanks for your positive input by the way

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Folks, I commend you for trying to troubleshoot another's issues, but if you could, please create a separate thread for tech support issues. These threads are meant as a general discussion area; if we start handling tech support issues in these threads, it will quickly be overwhelmed and go astray. I like that everybody is so willing to help though!

fantasie

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
after weeks of research and trying many things. i finally got rid of my black screen issues but also have some other problems with my card.

To fix your black screen crashes check "disable ULPS" and "force constant voltage" in MSI afterburner, and DDU clean install only the amd driver. get rid of CCC and all the other stuff the driver download comes with.

if you still get crashes when watching videos make sure to disable all hardware acceleration in chrome/firefox options.

finally you can also put the power limit up to 50% in Afterburner if you still have issues.

Doing all this solved all my crashes I was getting randomly. So it must be some instability with AMD's power saving program when switching between idle and load clocks.

However, I am still getting unexplainable crashes when I play StarCraft 2 T_T my favorite game. Some days it will works just fine for hours. Other days it will crash every match during midgame. Lost so many ladder points due to this T_T.

I had absolutely no crashes playing Ryse Son of Rome for many hours. No crashes with unigine heaven (Avg 49fps/1234 score) or valley (Avg 52fps/2196score) at extreme hd setting. so I think it is just something incompatible with starcraft. Anyone know of any fixes. I'm so sad... now when i play sc2 im always fearing it will crash again when im in the middle of the match.

My system specs:
EVGA x58 SLI LE MB
i7 930 stock
3x2GB Corsair XMS 3 C7
ASUS R9 290 DCU2 oc 4GB
MX100 SSD
7200RPM HDD
Corsair GS600 W PSU

HIGHEST GPU TEMPS 74C after an hour of heaven . VRAM temps always lower than gpu temps.

i get a lot of stuttering and horizontal tearing in heaven too. when it transitions between scenes or when it's turning it's very noticeable, you can see many different bars drawn at different times not synced up.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts for my Card/issues im still having?

Thanks! And I hope my suggestions work for you too!. We all know how frustrating all these crashes are.