[SOLVED] Amd Radeon R9 280x WONT OVERCLOCK !!!

Zyounes

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Hello !
First of all this my PC specs:

CPU: Intel i5-4460
GPU: Amd Radeon r9 280x
MB: GA-Z97-D3H
RAM: 16GB (4x8 DDR3) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600Mhz
PSU: Cooler Master 650W
SSD: 120GB Kingston A400
HDD: 1TB WD Blue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My GPU Wont overclock with any program (MSI After Burner & Radeon Adrenaline..etc) , every time i try to change Core Clock & Memory Clock it returns to its default every time don't know why! .
The default settings : [1100Mhz Core Clock] [1500Mhz Memory Clock] , i'am trying to increase it to 1200 & 1600 but it wont do it ! and the time that it changed i got lines on my monitor ! what's this ?

https://prnt.sc/vdcu7x

Solution
It's just what the screen says. "Unexpected failure." The GPU caught that it was failing and the software restored your OLD settings which were stable.

The 280X is the same as the 7970. The original was clocked BELOW 1GHz. Then came the GHz edition. 1.2GHz on a card that old, originally spec'd for 1Ghz is really optimistic to say the least. When it was new, mine barely did 1.2. I never reached faster memory speeds IIRC (>1500MHz). However. 1.2GHz was stable a long time at that speed once tweaked.

Mine just crapped out 6 months ago. The FET and Caps have degraded and it wouldn't run past 700MHz. It quickly decayed from 1.2GHz over 2 months. I would expect yours is reaching the same EOL soon.

Also your power supply is...
It's just what the screen says. "Unexpected failure." The GPU caught that it was failing and the software restored your OLD settings which were stable.

The 280X is the same as the 7970. The original was clocked BELOW 1GHz. Then came the GHz edition. 1.2GHz on a card that old, originally spec'd for 1Ghz is really optimistic to say the least. When it was new, mine barely did 1.2. I never reached faster memory speeds IIRC (>1500MHz). However. 1.2GHz was stable a long time at that speed once tweaked.

Mine just crapped out 6 months ago. The FET and Caps have degraded and it wouldn't run past 700MHz. It quickly decayed from 1.2GHz over 2 months. I would expect yours is reaching the same EOL soon.

Also your power supply is questionable by now. CM made middle grade and some low grade PSU's. As PSU's age they become noisy, they suffer from voltage droop during transient phases (sudden load changes), and total power available at sustained loads. GPU's are extremely sensitive to this when you are running close to the edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution