AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Power And Pump Analysis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@formatC

I would expect you guys to do testing with default driver settings. I would suggest however changing under Manage 3D Settings > Texture Filtering Quality to High Quality for nvidia's products.

I'd be curious how much difference the change makes. It's the next new image quality 'conspiracy'. The default settings for each side don't appear to be equal.

I know to just change it myself, but I'm curious of the impact. Performance is obvious, but I'm wondering about power as well as any perceived quality difference.

Nailing it down or debunking it would an interesting read. Tom's always strives to be so thorough, so I'd trust what you have to say on the matter. :)

hannibal

Distinguished

Really much better. It is almost silent this time... And there is always noise when you move something (air or water), so I am somewhat impressed!

cmi86

Distinguished
Ring ring ring, Hello this is Tomshardware
Hello this is Nvidia, your initial review of the Fury X was too favorable.
Tomshardware: We ran the card through all the same tests we run your stuff through..
Nvidia: I don't care if you ran it through, make it it look worse or else...
Tomshardware, or else what ? We didn't make your 970 look worse when you blatantly lied about it's memory system.
Nvidia: I don't care what we did wrong, were allowed to lie cheat and steal and no one will care, people only crucify AMD when they make a mistake. So slam them,
or else we wont pay you hundreds of thousands of dollars to plaster our ads all over every single square inch of your site and annoy the piss out of all of your users the next time we release a GPU...
Tomshardware: And how exactly are we supposed to do that ?
Nvidia: I don't know,blow minor issues way out of proportion and make them seem the norm then make up a suite of power analysis that you have never done to any other GPU and then hold fury accountable to these "new" findings. Our brainwashed fanboys will take care of anyone who dare question what you are doing.
Tomshardware: I am seeing a pattern of these phone calls every time AMD releases a new line of GPU's...
Nvidia: Pleasure doing "business" with you, click...

Totally not true but I seriously do feel like these "not as good as we initially made it out to be" articles are somewhat becoming the norm for AMD releases but I rarely hear them when it comes to the other side of the fence.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
@cmi86:
You are a commedian.. If I have only 5 hours with one of this samples to write my part of the launch review and this very generous company has collected this card right on the launch day, it is impossible to go more in-depth. This follow-up is more in-depth and reflects the reality with a retail card.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Sigh. Well, at least the noise is quieter than my computer's cpu fan. Hopefully, they fixed the issue by now. Whoever is running their Q&A department should be fired.

erendofe

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
this isn't the first time this type of noise has crept up in coolermaster products. their H100 pump had much the same issue (albeit lower frequency) some on the forums even professed to an outright failure. so this might point to poor tolerences and bad design.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I've been reading reviews here for well over a decade and obviously really appreciate the info that you guys output.
What I'm unhappy about is the new image viewer control that has the left and right arrows so opaque.
Please make these arrows transparent so that they stop blocking content when the images are viewed on small screens.
Thanks.

Garrek99: Yes, we're aware of this issue. The arrows used to be transparent. We've asked the product team/dev team to fix this and I believe there is a ticket in to get this fixed.

Spot on. I used to laugh back in the late 90s/early 00s when working for a major tech company support center and they'd have ISO auditors come in and "audit" us for quality compliance. The "audit" was all about being asked questions on the processes of doing things and where it was documented in our Level I, II, and III procedures books that we did such things.

The funniest part was that these outside auditors were just bureaucratic employees who couldn't tell you what a computer's BIOS did, let alone what the letters actually stood for. ISO to me back then was nothing but a certification that a company paid for so they could slap an "ISO 9001 Certified" label in their advertisements and sales brochures. Laughable.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
More pages are spent on the whine then the actual performance of the card. It's an issue that's already been addressed, tom's really didn't have to dedicate so much to such a small issue.

Comparatively, at least it doesn't reduce performance like the last 0.5 GB on the 970, and I don't remember tom's being on Nvidia's case about that much more serious issue.

This isn't true. They did a full review of this card already, the purpose of this article was not a performance review (in terms of FPS), it was more about the quality. When the GTX 970 issue was highlighted for all to see, Toms also didn't give NV a gap to get away with it - they were fair enough though: their conclusion was that the card is STILL potent and that it would take a lot to cripple it (in other words, the real-world use of the card would not result in an owner being negatively affected by the much slower 0.5GB), at least not for a very long time.

I never understand why people get so touchy over this whole AMD vs NV thing. As a consumer I'm only interested in getting the best bang for my buck. Competition is a good thing, and the timing involved in releasing products is key to market-share - so sometimes items get released with an issue or 2. So what? I'm not perfect, I certainly don't expect every mass-produced product to be either. No, I'm not saying "it's okay, they don't need to worry about quality" - they have to. I'm just saying that I'm realistic and mistakes happen. Toms had a responsibility to the people who may be spending a lot of money for these cards - I think this little article provided enough insight for people to make an informed decision.

Lastly: is it a crap product? No, it isn't. Chances are they rushed the release slightly due to extreme pressure, so I expect this product to just get better. That will make NV a bit nervous (because I think they do respect what AMD achieved with this) and it should result in better pricing. That's what we have to look forward to.

I've used various AIO coolers on my CPUs over the last six years using AIOs exclusively during this time on my own builds. Cooler Master, hands down, has the loudest, most annoying pumps I've ever heard. Pump noise has never been a problem with other units I've used. The noises the Cooler Master units make don't compare to any other pumps I've ever used. I had a Nepton 140XL on my primary gaming PC and couldn't stand the noise and the sub-par cooling capability compared to other units in the same price range. I replaced it after a few months.

No wonder these Fury X coolers are noisy. The company that engineered them (yes I know someone else manufactures these for them, but CM most likely engineers them to meet card manufacturer specs) seems to produce consistently noisy pumps.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Nv's case was DESIGNED to operate this way and it barely drops compared to 980 in the same exact settings/games. NV does a great job of masking the .5GB being slower than the rest. Their other options were worse than leaving it in and spending the R&D to mask it (better for customers, which is what anandtech etc explained they did it for users!). OTOH, AMD's card is not supposed to do this, as such we have RMA info etc. An article like this tells people, hey, if you HEAR it you don't have to LIVE with it. Anandtech was silent. Toms did their job here, which is to report stuff like this. All sites reported the .5GB too, which as shown by many sites, they can't seem to prove any issues exist (anandtech still looking...LOL).

I'm not quite sure why people whined about the .5GB, they were nice enough to leave it, AND optimize to avoid issues (which costs money) to give customers as much as possible. I guess they should have just dropped it in your opinion and made a 3GB card? Clearly AMD lied or didn't know about the size of the problem of their own product here, and that is a problem. Nvidia's scores don't change due to a spec sheet, so perf is not a problem. No benchmark changed after us knowing a sheet of paper had incorrect info on it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation/4
Would you rather have more expensive 970's? Or less ram and going to memory off the card sooner? I'd rather have NV include it and try to keep me from main memory as best they can. I'd also rather have them do this to keep yields up so my prices are down as best as possible. You seem to be confused about WHAT actually happened and that it benefited US and them. Also note they've been doing this for multiple gens (660/600ti etc), so it's not surprising people are STILL trying to find a place 970 hurts on this issue. They are pretty good at putting less used info into that 512MB.

From page 2:
"As for why NVIDIA is using such a configuration here, the crux of the matter is money and yields. Without the ability to partially disable a ROP/MC partition, NVIDIA would either have to spec a card to use a fully enabled partition – essentially reducing yields for that card and driving up costs – or disable the entire partition and lose all of the benefits of the additional ROPs, memory, and the memory controller."
From page 4:
"At its heart the GTX 970’s configuration is a compromise between GPU yields, card prices, and memory capacity. The easiest argument to make in that regard is that it should have shipped with a full 64 ROP configuration and skipped all of these complexities entirely. But on the whole and looking at the options for configurations without this additional complexity, a 3GB/48 ROP GTX 970 would have been underspeced, and with so much of the GTX 970’s success story being NVIDIA’s ability to launch the card at $329 I’m not sure if the other option is much better. At least on paper this looks like the best compromise NVIDIA could make."

I'll take perf and lower prices to go please, as the other option for any business would NOT be to drop yields. They would choose to screw us instead on perf as it's economically smart yield wise. What they did was the best option here. This type of tech didn't hurt the 660ti either (great card for the money!).

Sorry, AMD screwed up (again, 290x too), get used to it, they are broke due to selling cards/chips for too low a price (or including games when they shouldn't) and forgetting their CORE products (CPU/GPU) while going APU, Console etc. That is the price you pay for ignoring your core stuff and getting distracted which is why NV said VERBALLY they passed on consoles, it would take R&D from core stuff. AMD's R&D has dropped for 4yrs. This is expected, funky drivers expected, muffed launches expected and more to come no doubt as they are getting squeezed more and more. What is amazing to me is people are still calling for low prices from AMD when they have lost 6 BILLION in 12 years.

It's like welfare people (see Greece, & 50mil American's getting help from govt when few REALLY need it) thinking the govt can just keep giving them checks for life magically. NO, that leads to a 18 TRILLION dollar debt, and a growing at 2B+ per day. At some point AMD needs to charge more to make money (or sell to someone who can fund FIXING AMD), just like these people need to go back to work before we go bankrupt. :) The simple math of spending more than you take in FOREVER ends in destruction, whether it's a country, or a company. AMD made their biggest mistake paying 3.5X the price for ATI than they should have paid, and made it worse by (among other things) NOT making ZEN 5yrs ago and instead opting to do console R&D. I like low prices too, don't get me wrong, but I don't want a DEAD AMD to get them. I will gladly pay an extra $50-$100 to either side for a higher end model for them to continue R&D. Even Nvidia, who has made much smarter management decisions has NOT made in 8yrs what they made in 2007! AMD is killing BOTH sides by always aiming so low. If you take away payments of 266mil a year to NV from Intel, they aren't making even 1/2 of 2007 profits at Nvidia...Nobody should complain about pricing when NEITHER side is doing great in profits and AMD is literally LOSING money.

Again, though, toms did their job here...Yell at AMD for letting this get out the door, not toms for reporting it. There was less to do on the .5GB because it changed nothing. Here they had to discover what actually was happening and if it was in RETAIL cards still. They couldn't do that with a sample, and it was worth investigating with vids showing up with the noise (see wccftech vids on pump/coil whine) sent from customers buying cards. That is not performing like AMD said (fixed AMD claimed in production) in the reviews. That is different than .5GB on paper issue right? No benchmark changed after the paper info. An RMA in that situation wouldn't change buying options either. In this case it will get rid of the whine that isn't supposed to be in there according to AMD. Correct? A 4 page article on the memory at anandtech...LOL. Same as NV story here right? Though anandtech did a 4 pager because they are an AMD portal site...LOL. Not because anything changed in performance.

"But so far with this new information we have been unable to break the GTX 970"
"To that end in the short amount of time we’ve had to work on this article we have also been working on cooking up potential corner cases for the GTX 970 and have so far come up empty, though we’re by no means done."

As anandtech says in the article above, it's tough to find a game that just cracks 3.5GB without going over 4GB which would affect all other cards as well...LOL. On top of that, NV is actively working on masking it too in software, so let me know when you find a CORNER case that fits inside 3.5-4GB that NV hasn't dealt with yet. Customers are NOT affected from Nvidia's paper info, but AMD customers ARE affected by the whining noises. Correct?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html
Toms did a pretty extensive page on NV, but again, it should have only been a few lines...LOL. Specs were wrong, but perf the same, move along, but nothing wrong with taking more to explain HOW crossbar tech etc actually works I guess. Not true for AMD here though, we're talking RMA due to noise. There was nothing to gain from Nvidia to explain a spec sheet that would inevitably be found out (PR nightmare ensued, so toms, anandtech etc all said it would be stupid to do that and they are not that dumb) and much to lose. I'm sure AMD didn't do this on purpose either, but NOT spot checking stuff is low R&D at work. Trust, but verify happens when you have the funds.

In the end toms got it right anyway (much like anandtech after 4 pages of bloviating on it):
"But to us the price/performance ratio trumps everything else, and that is no different today than it has been since the GeForce GTX 970 was released."

Nimelrian

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
From the Fury X manual (http://support.amd.com/Documents/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x.pdf)

"The radiator assembly must be mounted above the graphics card and in a
location that has minimal impedance to air flow.

[...]

The radiator assembly must be correctly mounted inside the computer
case and not left resting outside of the case."

Maybe that's the cause for the "blubbering noises"? Why do you test the card without even following the installation manual?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Maybe that's the cause for the "blubbering noises"? Why do you test the card without even following the installation manual?

Because I was not able to mount this fat small radiator in my reference case on top or rear side (as a lot of readers). We've discussed this so often - normally it plays no role where you mount a radiator from an AIO. The trick behind: Cooler Master is using a lot of air inside to prevent the small system before too high pressure. This is the follow of the high water temperatures inside. Above 60 °C is for a water cooling system the first step to suicide :)

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Nv's case was DESIGNED to operate this way and it barely drops compared to 980 in the same exact settings/games.

Designed or not, they never notified their paying customers that it was designed that way and were led to believe otherwise. As with the performance drop, depending on title, it can be quite significant.

I'm not letting AMD off the hook for the pump issue (Cooler Master units suck anyways); same with Nvidia for their lie tactics.

Takasis007

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
I am not entirely sure why we are getting so worked up over a new architecture not doing exactly what we expected. It's new...... No one has optimized anything for making use of the 4k+ Highway of a bus.... Instead of sticking a very large plunger on the end of a 256bit bus the developers must be standing in the middle of the road wondering what the ****** do i do with all this space? Once that starts to get figured out I am pretty sure that the new memory will start to shine. You can only cram so much through a 1.25" hose regardless of the pressure of the water. I am just happy to see innovation. For the last 15 years all i have seen is instead of optimizing and making more efficient graphics we have broken out the sledgehammer and hit it with raw horsepower. I am looking forward to seeing what is going to come of this from both vendors.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
@random stalker: What work/manufacturing industry experience do you have? You seem to have a bit of a handle on things.

@Garrek99:
I've been reading reviews here for well over a decade and obviously really appreciate the info that you guys output.
What I'm unhappy about is the new image viewer control that has the left and right arrows so opaque.
Please make these arrows transparent so that they stop blocking content when the images are viewed on small screens.
Thanks.
I also don't like the image viewer controls. Please put the images as plain images on the website.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

May well have been RIFd in AMD's 7% reduction in 4th Q of 2014.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
@AndrewJacksonZA: well, let's just say I'm some sort of a irl Wolf character from Pulp Fiction... so, I guess, during the last ~10 years some random stuff about project, production and quality management (especially the last one) stuck on me.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I've had 3 different fully sealed water coolers from 3 different brands and they all have one major flaw, after 6 months of running at 60-70 degrees Celsius 24/7 they fail, why? The water evaporates, not one drip or leak. I can only surmise its like air in a tyre or air in a balloon, eventually it comes out, granted it takes a lot longer but in all cases when I pulled the coolers out, they were half full of water, cause and air lock and exacerbate the problem even further. For this reason I will never ever buy fully sealed water coolers again. custom ones you can top up I can only imagine are fine. See what happens to all these fury gpu's in 6-12 months hey... I would highly recommend not buying one as a gpu runs hotter at the problem will be even worse. You have been warned.

logainofhades

Titan

H100 is a corsair product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS