AMD Radeon RX 480 Designed To Bring VR To The Budget-Strapped Masses

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

Anything slower than the R7-370 will be rendered obsolete by next-gen APUs and IGPs, there is an increasingly limited future below the 470. Having that many tightly priced and similar products is horrible for gross margin since it artificially segments the market into multiple unnecessary bins and multiplies development effort by that much. Getting rid of some of that fragmentation would reduce AMD's R&D costs and the bigger performance gap between product lines will make it easier for people take the relatively small price bump for the large performance increase.

Yes, the RX-480 may have defects but keep in mind that only the RX-480 has been announced. Based on the old rumor that the 480 may have 2560 shaders, the RX-480 may already be a cut-down version with four CUs disabled for yield flexibility. Same goes with the 470 which has rumors of 1280 and 1024 shaders.

Where product naming is concerned, the lineup between 470 and 480 appears to be full.

E71

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I am somewhat budget-strapped but VR definitely isn't what I'm aiming for... I need to finally be able to play at my monitor's native resolution (4K). I wonder if 2 x 480's will achieve that... they certainly claim it.

cmi86

Distinguished

Umm actually you are incorrect. Historically AMD cards have shown to gain performance over time due to driver maturation, where as Nvidia cards tend to drop over time presumably due to dropping off of game/hardware specific optimizations in new drivers replaced by optimizations geared to new hardware/games. Just look at how the 760 used to be faster than a 7950 and at times challenge a 7970. Now a 760 can barely keep pace with a 7870/270X and the 7950(R9-280) and 7970(R9-280X) completely smash the 760 across the board. If you desire a more modern comparison look how the 970 used to soundly beat a 390 in almost every title, now as time has gone on the 390 is often even and sometimes faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.