[SOLVED] AMD Radeon RX 480 device manager error code 43, does this mean it's dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014
Hi, I recently got my hands on an used Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8gb. I was really happy as this was a big upgrade for me having a GeForce GTX 950. As soon as the graphics card came home, I removed my old one and put in the new one. I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old driver and then downloaded the newest AMD drivers off of the internet. When I go into Device Manager, it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Trying to update it tells me that I have the newest driver, and even by manually checking the version I came to the same conclusion. When I try to run the AMD Radeon Software app that came with the driver it says "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropiate for your AMD hardware". Does this mean the card is malfunctioning? I checked to see if my power supply is big enough and it is (650 Watts).

Solution
I think it is very likely that it is one of the problems you are experiencing. There seems to be some driver issues related to mining as well, and I'm not too sure what problems you might encounter as a result of that.

However, based on the RX480 PSU requirements you posted, I'm sure your PSU is going to be a problem.
Eventhough the PSU model you have, claim to be capable of delivering 650 watt, in truth it won't be delivering anything close to that number.

Some manufacturers of low quality PSUs, base the rated wattage on how much power the PSU can deliver for very brief periods of time (peak power), while more well respected brands base the watt rating on the power the unit can supply continously, without being pushed to or beyond...

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014
Something's not right here. You're seeing things on your monitor even though the graphics card is "disabled"
I know, right? And if I check the driver and driver version they all look correct, even tho launching the radeon app brings up a message saying that I got no driver. I am seeing things on my monitor, but if i try to game on it, it gives me about 2 frames per second in the Rocket League menu.

I know, right? And if I check the driver and driver version they all look correct, even tho launching the radeon app brings up a message saying that I got no driver. I am seeing things on my monitor, but if i try to game on it, it gives me about 2 frames per second in the Rocket League menu.
Your card is probably running default windows display drivers not the AMD drivers needed to support 3D gaming.

I'm wondering where you got the card since it's used. It is highly likely it was used for mining and has a mining BIOS installed on it. The driver installer may not recognize the card without a correct BIOS installed. You'll have to make a decision to give it a try to flash back to a production Sapphire BIOS or see about returning it for refund.

If you choose to update it, you can probably find appropriate BIOS and flasher at Tech PowerUp web site.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK62

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014
Your card is probably running default windows display drivers not the AMD drivers needed to support 3D gaming.

I'm wondering where you got the card since it's used. It is highly likely it was used for mining and has a mining BIOS installed on it. The driver installer may not recognize the card without a correct BIOS installed. You'll have to make a decision to give it a try to flash back to a production Sapphire BIOS or see about returning it for refund.

If you choose to update it, you can probably find appropriate BIOS and flasher at Tech PowerUp web site.
Video cards have their own BIOS? That's new. Yes, the card was used for mining, however after I installed the drivers off the AMD website DDU only showed the AMD driver, not a default windows one. I'll try checking the whole BIOS thing when I have the time, I'll come back here if something goes off.
Thank you very much !

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014
Yeah, the vBIOS basically sets all the frequency, voltage, and fan parameters for the card. But there's other things in there that miners can tinker with.
I am actually impressed, it was that. I downloaded another BIOS from that website and used their tools and after finding a VBIOS that works the driver installed correctly as well. However, when I fire up a game (like DOOM for example), my monitor turns off as if it's losing signal and the video card fans instantly go up to 100%. All I can do from there is turn the PC off by using the power button. I have an Inter-Tech Energon 650 watt power supply. (link here), could it be the problem? I read somewhere in another thread (here) that the RX 480 needs a power supply with a "maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps or greater ". What does that mean? And does my power supply live up to that? I have an AMD FX-8350 that as far as I know draws alot of power as well.
Thank you very much, that VBIOS idea was brilliant.

I don't know if they might be more common i Europe. I'm from Denmark, and I have seen way too many PSUs from that brand.

InterTech - Energon are some of the worst PSUs you can come across, I would never trust any PC with one of those.

They are being advertised with model names like Silent, Ultra, Gaming Edition, and all the names that speaks to someone who wants a "gaming PC", but don't want to pay much for a quality PSU.

They are known to advertise the watt rating based on the peak power numbers, and not the continous power delivery the PSU can handle, so I have seen a lot of examples of unstable systems, or PSU's that fail due to being overloaded and destroying every component connected to the PSU - they also had no safety features either, so when they failed, they did it in style.
The PSUs are rated WAY above what they are actually capable of. “But they are cheap and it says gaming on the sticker”.

They really became popular in the early 2000 with a 750 watt Silent Gaming PSU. I had a 380W Antec single-rail PSU capable of 18A at +12v at the time, and it beat the 750w flagship InterTech Energon model in test. But they did cost next to nothing.

They used to cost what would roughly be USD $45 - 50 for the top of the line 750 Watt Gaming-model.

That was a long time ago, but they still pop up here and there, and they don't seem to have improved much - they even look exactly the same.

But the amount of time I've spent trying to explain why people should pay more money for less watt (but higher amp rating), I don't even dare think of it.

I would highly recommend getting a new PSU of acceptable quality, at least. It could save you money in the long run.

Last edited:

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014
Ok, your PSU is a 4 (!?!) rail affair. Each rail can supply 216W or a total across all 4 rails of 550W.

TBH. I'd get a new PSU regardless. It's old, and it's a nope.

Are you by chance not in the USA? I've never heard of that PSU brand.
I don't really know what you mean, is a 4 rail PSU a bad one? A good one? And what is a rail? A cable?

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014
I don't know if they might be more common i Europe. I'm from Denmark, and I have seen way too many PSUs from that brand.

InterTech - Energon are some of the worst PSUs you can come across, I would never trust any PC with one of those.

They are being advertised with model names like Silent, Ultra, Gaming Edition, and all the names that speaks to someone who wants a "gaming PC", but don't want to pay much for a quality PSU.

They are known to advertise the watt rating based on the peak power numbers, and not the continous power delivery the PSU can handle, so I have seen a lot of examples of unstable systems, or PSU's that fail due to being overloaded and destroying every component connected to the PSU - they also had no safety features either, so when they failed, they did it in style.
The PSUs are rated WAY above what they are actually capable of. “But they are cheap and it says gaming on the sticker”.

They really became popular in the early 2000 with a 750 watt Silent Gaming PSU. I had a 380W Antec single-rail PSU capable of 18A at +12v at the time, and it beat the 750w flagship InterTech Energon model in test. But they did cost next to nothing.

They used to cost what would roughly be USD $45 - 50 for the top of the line 750 Watt Gaming-model.

That was a long time ago, but they still pop up here and there, and they don't seem to have improved much - they even look exactly the same.

But the amount of time I've spent trying to explain why people should pay more money for less watt (but higher amp rating), I don't even dare think of it.

I would highly recommend getting a new PSU of acceptable quality, at least. It could save you money in the long run.
That I understand, but is it possible that the PSU is the issue that's causing the video card to act weird?
Or is it the video card that's acting on it's own.. I mean, my current GPU (ASUS GTX 950) uses the same power apparently

I think it is very likely that it is one of the problems you are experiencing. There seems to be some driver issues related to mining as well, and I'm not too sure what problems you might encounter as a result of that.

However, based on the RX480 PSU requirements you posted, I'm sure your PSU is going to be a problem.
Eventhough the PSU model you have, claim to be capable of delivering 650 watt, in truth it won't be delivering anything close to that number.

Some manufacturers of low quality PSUs, base the rated wattage on how much power the PSU can deliver for very brief periods of time (peak power), while more well respected brands base the watt rating on the power the unit can supply continously, without being pushed to or beyond its limit. Those units will have a peak power number above the their watt rating, while the Intertech - Energon unit would actually have a lower continous power output than the 650 watt it is advertised as.
Intertech - Energon used to be well known for stating peak power numbers, instead of the actual power output their units were capable of.
I don't come across too many Intertech - Energon units anymore, I got the impression that the sales declined (at least where I live), when the units began failing rapidly for people who thougt they'd been clever and saved some money.
But I still see them from time to time, and they don't seem to have changed when it comes to how they calculate the power output of their PSUs.

The Intertech -Energon PSU you have is very likely struggeling to supply the amount of power needed to drive your system with the new graphics card upgrade. With age, the performance will have dropped even further.

It would be ideal if you could borrow a better PSU for testing. I think it is important to try to confirm or eliminate the PSU as the problem. Your current PSU is definately not optimal to use, while troubleshooting the type of problems you are encountering.

Last edited:
Solution

Diliglont

Honorable
Jun 9, 2014

Some manufacturers of low quality PSUs, base the rated wattage on how much power the PSU can deliver for very brief periods of time (peak power), while more well respected brands base the watt rating on the power the unit can supply continously, without being pushed to or beyond its limit. Those units will have a peak power number above the their watt rating, while the Intertech - Energon unit would actually have a lower continous power output than the 650 watt it is advertised as.
Intertech - Energon used to be well known for stating peak power numbers, instead of the actual power output their units were capable of.
I don't come across too many Intertech - Energon units anymore, I got the impression that the sales declined (at least where I live), when the units began failing rapidly for people who thougt they'd been clever and saved some money.
But I still see them from time to time, and they don't seem to have changed when it comes to how they calculate the power output of their PSUs.

The Intertech -Energon PSU you have is very likely struggeling to supply the amount of power needed to drive your system with the new graphics card upgrade. With age, the performance will have dropped even further.

It would be ideal if you could borrow a better PSU for testing. I think it is important to try to confirm or eliminate the PSU as the problem. Your current PSU is definately not optimal to use, while troubleshooting the type of problems you are encountering.
I'm from Romania and you can find such power supplies at every local shop, maybe they're more popular here because of the price. I'll try and ask around for a better power supply that I can quickly test, and if that doesn't do it either I guess I'll just presume the card's dead.
A big thank you to both of you for helping me out !

I'm from Romania and you can find such power supplies at every local shop, maybe they're more popular here because of the price. I'll try and ask around for a better power supply that I can quickly test, and if that doesn't do it either I guess I'll just presume the card's dead.
A big thank you to both of you for helping me out !

Older PSU's would often divide the 12V power over more than one true voltage rail (or bus) so that any one didn't have to carry too much load. You might get the CPU EPS connectors on one rail, GPU connectors on the other rail, the motherboard 24+4 connector on the other and the HDD Molex connectors on the last rail. But this meant even though the PSU had a big rating, no one device (like a GPU) could pull anything close to that rating on one rail without resulting in voltage sag and instability even for high-quality PSU's.

It worked well enough back then when powering two or more GPU's being installed in SLI as well as the CPU. But then super power hunger GPU's like the RX480 comes along and you have to put it all to one card but no single PSU rail has the capability to do it. Modern PSU's can generate all the power on one (true) voltage rail though, so that became a non-issue.

But even if a modern PSU doesn't 'fix' your card problem there are a few things to try before tossing it. Since you've got the AMD drivers working go into Wattman and try raising the operating voltage without overclocking at all. If it was degraded by long hours/days/weeks of mining you could find a new point of stability.

Yes, overvolting will make it hotter so be liberal with fans to keep it cool. It will also just continue to degrade faster too but it's a throw-away at this point anyway. If you're a careful and don't have to go too far you might get several more months...or years...gaming on it. You can also try underclocking it, but that's gonna end up in less enjoyable gaming at some point.

Last edited:
The RX480 matches the GTX970 in performance and power draw....neither card is "super power hungry".

And that's before comparing the RX480 to the previous gen cards from AMD or Nvidia like the GTX780Ti and R9-290/290X that consume 70-100W more to achieve the same performance.

The GTX10xx cards launched after Polaris

My undervolted RX480 @ 1300MHz (so an RX580 actually) draws 130-140W under full load. Which is only about 15-20W more than a GTX1060 of equivalent performance.

**Note - none of this should be confused for me arguing that the OPs PSU shouldn't be replaced. It absolutely needs to go.

Last edited:
**Note - none of this should be confused for me arguing that the OPs PSU shouldn't be replaced. It absolutely needs to go.
And I didn't mean this to turn into a gripe session on GPU power consumption. If it offends you in it's simplicity, just ignore it. It was intended merely to illustrate a deficiency of old-school PSU design when deployed in modern hardware and bring that point home to OP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.