AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics Card Roundup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Please scroll up a few centimeters:
The Powercolor and XFX were also tested. But it will be a follow-up.
The new chip is more expensive and I'm sure you will get a good bang for the buck when all this RX480 will be in sale ;)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Just bought an ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING for one of my older machines. (Xeon W3670 @ stock) Quiet. Every place that has a temp sensor shows low temps. Plays DE:MD at Ultra (1080p) @ 56/42/32 max/avg/min fps. This is at stock clocks. I'm sure the card could do better than that with a modern CPU.

Freakstyler

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I use the Sapphire 480 Nitro+ with my GPU overclocked to 1380 and Memory overclocked to 2100(effective clock of 8400). Manual fan curve of 30C-10% 80C-100% and I don't usually get above 70C with 78%% Fan speed. The noise is a little high, but I don't notice because I game with headphones. Even with a high 100%load benchmark for 30 minutes, I didn't see any Thermal Throttling below my set 1380mhz Clock and a max temp of 75C

ben_180

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Um i have the sapphire 480x nirto 4 gig and it never drops clock speed its a beast and its not small either.... he he even have the card looks like he got lazy and copied the review from one of the mini cards

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
This really should have been done with power targets as similar as possible. Its hard to judge which cards are better from this. Seeing as the Sapphire card has a higher power target than MSI, its going to have higher temps as well.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
AMD cards have no power target, this is Nvidia. AMD is only using a granular power limit, but this isn't the same. It is not easy to control, that each card is working with the same wattage, if the VR design is different from other card.

Physics isn't a bitch and a card with 30% less cooling surface has with the same wattage a big disadvantage ;)

elw

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
very nice comparison, I got Sapphire Nitro+ myself and really can agree with it being noisy at load, speccially when I set target temperature to 875 degree. Also particulary agree with "Clock rate drops under sustained workload", but myself solved this issue with undervolting card and setting power limit higher. Like that clocks are stable, believe me or not power compustion is lower and performance higher by 3-4%. Thats why I particulary agree with unstable clocks part, I understand that it should be tweaked by factory settings once you buy it, not by user himself. After all, I love this card sooo much anyways :)

onlyanoob

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I have owned this model since its release. Overclocked from 1266 to 1310 and undervolted to 1120mv. Memory at 2150Mhz. The Temps steady at full load 58C hence low Fan RPM no noise. stays this way for hours. Add Radeon chill (if game white listed) and a very quite and cool card happily runs 1080 ultra settings on all games with very good minimums.
I consider this a very good bargain though now discontinued and refreshed as a RX580 and with Mining craze even second hand prices make it no sense to buy above £250. But worth getting second hand if prices come down as it beats a 1060 in most gaming bench marks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.