Review AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Review: 7nm RDNA on a Budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InvalidError

Titan
4GB on a gaming card in 2020 is just not acceptable. The minimum should be 6GB by today standards.
4GB may make some people uncomfortable but most benchmarks say it is still perfectly fine, especially if you don't mind turning memory-intensive details (ex.: ultra/epic texture resolution) down a notch. I doubt very many people expect to play current games at full Ultra/Epic details on a $150-200 GPU.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
4GB may make some people uncomfortable but most benchmarks say it is still perfectly fine, especially if you don't mind turning memory-intensive details (ex.: ultra/epic texture resolution) down a notch. I doubt very many people expect to play current games at full Ultra/Epic details on a $150-200 GPU.

how much is the extra 2GB of ram ? 10$ ? 20$ I would pay 170 instead of 150 for that amount. we are living in 2020 , the PC RAM recommendation is 16GB today was 8 GB two years ago , the same for GPU .. was 4GB in midrange two years ago but not anymore. .. they need to step up the basic GRAM ..

InvalidError

Titan
how much is the extra 2GB of ram ? 10$ ? 20$
It isn't just 2GB extra RAM, it is also 64bits / 50% wider memory controller and 40-50% more memory bandwidth that may enable the GPU to nibble at a higher-tier SKU's sales. AMD needs something to up-sell people to the 6/8GB RX5600 with.

I'd prefer 6GB/192bits too and with the RX470-590 providing 8G/256bits for under $200, the RX5500 being only 128bits for a similar performance and price range is definitely disappointing.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

hannibal

Distinguished
There most propably Are not a lot of 5500 chips... instead there Are a lot of polaris still available. Amd would make Suiside by releasing 5500 at cheaper price at this moment.
They will wait polaris GPUs to run out and an opportunity to produce more 5500 chips next year. Amd does not need cheap 5500 at this moment. They still have so Many polaris that people who goes for budget, get those.
And if somebody really want to have new generation low end amd gpu now can buy 5500 now, but mostly those 5500 Are for OEM computers and maybe laptops. Amd does not want to make them popular quite yet.

4GB on a gaming card in 2020 is just not acceptable. The minimum should be 6GB by today standards.
That may be, but 6GB simply isn't possible with the memory bus these cards use. It's either 4GB or 8GB.

Also +1 to Hannibal. High launch day pricing is commonplace so you don't pirate the sale of outgoing chips and leave a ton of unsellable stock on shelves. It's hard enough selling "last gen" stuff when the new stuff comes out, let alone (in RX560/570/580) "last-last gen". Not to mention that Nvidia's Super cards have drastically slowed the sale of RX570/580 cards in the past couple months.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It seems that AMD has mis-aimed in terms of the performance/price balance, but not by a whole lot. I would guess that they were caught a bit off guard by the 1650 Super.

It is hard to determine outright "X is better than Y", though, given that in one or two games the 4GB 5500XT matches the GTX 1660. That's just weird.

That goes for Nvidia's competing GTX 1650 SUPER that they just launched a few weeks back as well, and unlike the 5500XT, that card doesn't even offer a higher VRAM variant. The 5500XT does offer an 8GB version though, even if it's arguably a bit overpriced at launch. As was said though, lowering texture detail a bit in the most demanding titles is likely to prevent performance issues, and those primarily interested in slightly older games or esports titles might not care enough about additional VRAM to pay an extra $20-$30 for it. There are some rumors that the 5600 might come in 6 and 8GB variants, rather than 4 and 8GB, though that should be expected, seeing as it will likely be priced closer to $250 at launch.

There most propably Are not a lot of 5500 chips... instead there Are a lot of polaris still available. Amd would make Suiside by releasing 5500 at cheaper price at this moment.
Yep, though it does kind of make me wonder why they even bothered releasing the 5500 XT at this point. If anything, they should have focused on getting the 5600/5600XT out as soon as possible, since they haven't had any cards worth getting in the $200-$300+ price range all year. There's around a $150 price gap in their lineup between the RX 580/590 and the RX 5700, and the only cards worth considering in that range have been the GTX 1660, 1660 SUPER and 1660 Ti. It seems a bit silly to release another card in between the RX 580 and 590, when those cards already perform within 10% of one another.

Either way, the price of the RX 580 and 590 will need to drop further. The 1650 SUPER typically offers slightly better performance than an RX 580 for a similar or lower price, while drawing nearly half the power, so the RX 580 really needs to drop closer to $150 to compete. I guess they do still have that game bundle going on though, where one can get a copy of Borderlands 3 or Ghost Recon Breakpoint with an RX 570, 580 or 590. Now that I think of it, that just makes the 5500XT pricing even worse, since it's possible to pay a little less than the 4GB version for an RX 580 with 8GB of VRAM and a bundled game. That promotion will be ending within the next few weeks though, and I suspect they will probably launch a new one that includes the 5500 XT.

It is hard to determine outright "X is better than Y", though, given that in one or two games the 4GB 5500XT matches the GTX 1660. That's just weird.
It's not really weird. AMD and Nvidia's cards use different architectures, both with their own strengths and weaknesses, and it's always been the case that some games will perform significantly better on one or the other. See this performance summary from when the RX 580 launched, for example, comparing it to the GTX 1060 6GB...

https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page8.html

The average performance across the games tested is very similar overall, with just a couple percent separating the two, but if you scroll down to the chart comparing average frame rates in each game, you'll notice that the RX 580 performed up to 18% faster in some titles, while the GTX 1060 performed up to 14% faster others. That's why it's good to test as wide a selection of games as possible for reviews, since a few outliers could potentially make one card look notably better than another. With new cards or games, it's also often the case that there will be performance anomalies that get addressed post-launch.

Reactions: King_V

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
It'd be useful to see some numbers from 3D Mark's VRS benchmark. A year from now I imagine many titles will be using the feature since it's a key feature in the next-gen consoles.

InvalidError

Titan
If anything, they should have focused on getting the 5600/5600XT out as soon as possible, since they haven't had any cards worth getting in the $200-$300+ price range all year.
As far as current rumors go, it appears that the 5600 is nothing more than the same 251sqmm 5700 die with some stuff disabled. Makes sense to launch the higher-margin parts first to entice people willing to spend that much to buy that before offering a possibly much better deal one rung down the performance ladder using the higher-end's rejects and surplus silicon.