[SOLVED] AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT idling at 70 degrees

Davidsin98

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Video
I just put new thermal pads, thermal paste and on top of that cleaned it and the whole pc as well and it's idling 70 degrees... I opened up a game and it hit 100 and turned off. Do I need to redo my cooling and do intake from the front and exhaust from the back?

Solution
Hello, if you just rebuilt the GPU and still idling on 70c then maybe the screw pressures arent quite right or the thenral pads arent contacting properly.
As regards the case, it looks like all your fans are in a back to front flow config (air moves in from back and top, and out the front. However, if you still have a dust filter on the front panel that will kill air exhausting properly so you should remove it.
Normally, air flow is front to back and out the top, especially the top fans as hot air rises.

Can you run a UserBenchMark and post link to result ?
Hello, if you just rebuilt the GPU and still idling on 70c then maybe the screw pressures arent quite right or the thenral pads arent contacting properly.
As regards the case, it looks like all your fans are in a back to front flow config (air moves in from back and top, and out the front. However, if you still have a dust filter on the front panel that will kill air exhausting properly so you should remove it.
Normally, air flow is front to back and out the top, especially the top fans as hot air rises.

Reactions: Davidsin98
Solution

Davidsin98

Prominent
May 18, 2020

Here is the result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50238669
I also changed the air flow so the intake is from the front and exhaust is from the back but no difference...

Blimey, you just about covered the middle bit of the die on first application !
The second benchmark result is much better. I have the same RX5700XT card as you and I am getting 101% so your paste application is better.
Did you also change the top fanes to exhause out the top too ?
Thanks for voting me.

Davidsin98

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Blimey, you just about covered the middle bit of the die on first application !
The second benchmark result is much better. I have the same RX5700XT card as you and I am getting 101% so your paste application is better.
Did you also change the top fanes to exhause out the top too ?
Thanks for voting me.
Yup, definitely faulty thermal application, yup I changed top fans as well, trying to do more or less neutral airflow

Reactions: Nine Layer Nige