AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT vs. Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super: $400 GPU Throwdown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

travsb1984

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Its a fair point, but as far as migrating away from PC games due to cost of GPU is going to be negligible, in my opinion. However, we will have to see. The driving need behind migration from X console to Y console vice PC will be availability of software (instant gratification, if you will or exclusivity to X/Y/PC.) Ray Tracing comes to mind, but will it have that much effect? I, personally, doubt its effect will be much to an average [insert non-streaming gamer] player of games. I believe this biggest drive will be because of how deals go down with content management software rather than hardware.

Lets say the regular PC gamer has older but equitable hardware of the new consoles; what would make them go away from any PC to any console? Especially if the games they play are cross platform? Conversely, what would make a PS5 gamer switch to PC if hardware is comparable? The cost of an upgrade(GPU @ $500ish) would not make me buy a new console (@$500ish) and vice versa.
Just to clarify, I don't think PC gaming is going to die. I still play a lot of games on the PC but they tend to be strategy or RPG games that don't necessarily need the best graphics for playability and immersion. But I do think people will purchase consoles in lieu of high tier graphics cards for AAA titles. I started working from home so I built a second computer about a year and a half ago and there wasn't a graphics card to be found, so I was stuck using a Quadro for gaming. Guess what, a year later and midrange cards are $400... why spend $400 on a single card when you can spend $500 on a next gen console for those AAA that'll be fully optimized for big screen 4k tvs and look incredible?

Reactions: mrface
May 22, 2020
Just to clarify, I don't think PC gaming is going to die. I still play a lot of games on the PC but they tend to be strategy or RPG games that don't necessarily need the best graphics for playability and immersion. But I do think people will purchase consoles in lieu of high tier graphics cards for AAA titles. I started working from home so I built a second computer about a year and a half ago and there wasn't a graphics card to be found, so I was stuck using a Quadro for gaming. Guess what, a year later and midrange cards are $400... why spend $400 on a single card when you can spend $500 on a next gen console for those AAA that'll be fully optimized for big screen 4k tvs and look incredible?

Your point is moot - you assuming everyone already has a 120hz 4K TV mounted on their wall.

If you don't, you gotta buy one and I can tell you right now, for someone who's jumping from a Ps4 running a 4k or 1080p 60hz TV, you're not only upgrading to the next gen console for $500 you gotta pay for a quality BIG 4k TV to get the desired output much like a GPU+Monitor marriage. So when you factor in that cost of a new TV + $500+ next gen console, your nearing close to a proper build+monitor. They both have their pros and cons. When you buy a PS5, you get a PS5. With a PC, sure you game but that's just scratching the surface of it's capabilities and usefulness. Have any of these new consoles tooted user hardware upgrades? Storage has really been the only thing to expand in recent memory.